The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's right. I remember now, Meathead was defo on Team Rashad. It was Rashad who named him Meathead, how did I forget? And Rashad's "that boy's cheese fell off his cracker" line was in reference to him as well.

And Meathead claiming he couldn't fight due to swelling on his brain :) I'll have to re-visit TUF 10.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the MMA purists complained that all the big, heavyweights kept gassing during fights on TUF 10 but I thought it up there with seasons 6 and 9 as one of the best. McSweeney was an arsehole starting on someone every week. Wes Sims bullying Zack Jansen who ended up getting done for murder when he came off the show. Rampage's banter with Rashad and Schoonover ("That boy got titties!" "Got milk? Got milk bitch?") was first class. The sheer size of Marcus Jones and Wes Shivers was a sight to behold alone.

Just caught up on this, the finale is what I expected after we reached the last 4, I think Ricci should win, he seems like the most talented fighter in the mix, I think Colton has heart but not the skills to win the thing.

I didn't hate the season, it kept me entertained, like most TUF's I am quite hooked for the first few episodes but then tend to lose interest once I realise the fighters are not so talented to back up there words and the so called lose cannons (Julian) are not going to cause any real trouble as they know someone is always there to hold them back if you know what I mean. Some of the fights were a little tedious and the tension between coaches was non existant. The whole concept is a little stale but for one hour a week I got time for this show.

I expect Ricci and Nelson to win come the finale, question is will Ricci go on to do well or fade into prelim obscurity like Court McGee, Michael Chiesa and several others who I can't remember.

• Paid Members

just saw Saturday's TUF finale card for the first time, before this morning i could only have told you the main event and the finale fight, this card has completely slipped under the radar for me, anyway's it's a little belter!

MAIN CARD (FX, 9 p.m. ET)

Matt Mitrione vs. Roy Nelson

Mike Ricci vs. Colton Smith - "TUF 16" tournament final

Patrick Barry vs. Shane del Rosario

Melvin Guillard vs. Jamie Varner

Jonathan Brookins vs. Dustin Poirier

PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV, 7 p.m. ET)

James Head vs. Mike Pyle

Johnny Bedford vs. Marcos Vinicius

Rustam Khabilov vs. Vinc Pichel

Nick Catone vs. Anthony "T.J." Waldburger

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 5:30 p.m. ET)

Reuben Duran vs. Hugo Viana

John Cofer vs. Mike Rio

Tim Elliott vs. Jared Papazian

that's a great little main card, add this in with the Smashes finale card and you've got one solid weekend of fights.

• Paid Members

Great news about the prelims. Wonder why they didn't show the FOX prelims the other night. Looks a really good night of fights. Guillard vs Varner is the one I'm most looking forward to but it's pretty well matched across the board. The main card especially looks great.

Ricci was attached to the hip of Rory MacDonald in that UFC buildup show, so hes going to have every opportunity to make it out of the prelims in the future. Maybe it was just me, but both Ricci and Colton look undersized for Welterweights, especially Colton.

• Paid Members

Tell you what, Ronda Rousey is gonna be chuffed that her mate Heidi Androl is doing interviews on UFC shows now;

rondameanmuggingheidiandrol.jpg

She'll be over the moon.

Another outstanding card top to bottom. The UFC's hit a home run two nights on the bounce for me. Two really exciting shows back to back.

Nelson vs Meathead

Nelson's done it again. His power is brutal. Meathead's always shown a solid chin as well which makes it even more impressive. Meathead was looking pretty good as well, them kicks seemed to be worrying Big Roy to me. He took a few, one connected on the head and he took a few on the arm and he immediately fought with more urgency. It paid off.

Nice to see Roy throwing some new stuff as well, the uppercut is something I don't think he's used before and the follow ups were the cherry on the fat man's cake.

121216053124798735.gif

Ricci vs Colton

Well, that's two TUF finals on consecutive nights where the guy who was pretty heavily favoured lost. Colton totally shut Ricci down. He looked really good, didn't expect such a dominant and easy win for him. Was a bit too one sided to be really enjoyable but Colton was always working towards a submission.

I'm already sick as fuck of this "I was in the Marines y'know...that's way harder than this stuff...we fight wars for your freedom....you MMA folks don't understand" etc etc. Tim Kennedy was enough, now this.

Barry vs Del Rosario

This was a great short fight. I picked Del Rosario by submission and the first round made me think that was just a matter of time. Barry has clearly worked very hard on his grappling, he's not great but considering he was Kimbo level on the ground a couple of years ago he's done really well. Some of the positions he was put in tonight, he'd have not survived 12-18 months ago.

The comeback and KO in round 2 was nasty, nearly ripped Del Rosario's head off his shoulders...

12121604533630495.gif

Chuffed for Pat. Always liked him and I'm glad he'll be sticking around.

Poirier vs Brookins

Another wild short fight. Brookins did look improved in the stand up, his defence is still shit but he looked more threatening with his hands and that was evident when he tagged Poirier early on. Again, a great comeback for Poirier and once he found his rythym he looked great. Very nice D'Arce finish as well.

Highlights of the prelims for me were..

Pyle vs Head

Yet another great comeback. Pyle's having a real Indian Summer. He got rocked bad early and showed his experience to come through it and turn the tables. Pyle's striking has always been underrated I think but he's really stepped it up with this and the Neer fight. Good fight.

Khabilov vs Pichel

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

izOQ1IqN7sUf7.gif

I have nothing else to say.

Viana vs Duran

Happy to see Wolverine Viana looking so impressive. He was one of my favourites from TUF Brazil from very early on along with Trinaldo and Sarafian. He was too small for the 145ers on the show but still fought really well. It's clear he's suited to 135 though. He looked tremendous tonight. And he obviously packs a lot more power at the lower weight. Looking forward to seeing more of Viana.

TJ Waldburger looked good as well. He made a fan of me in the Ebersole fight a few months back. Excellent night of fights. Well two nights. Hopefully 155 will live up to the hype and end what's been an up and down 2012 on a bang.

Archived