The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Paid Members

You were right, it was a really good episode. Fun fight, fun in-house antics, and the coaches challenge was hilarious. Dana sure doesn't like Roy, does he? I can't remember any coaches challenge being so blatantly designed to make somebody look that bad. It was a complete assassination!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Julian must be one of the biggest pricks to grace TUF. He's certainly of June Browning-esqe quality. That screaming/hulking fit went on for an eternity. What a pleb.

Much better episode and fight this week. I guess that explains why the Finale card has been loaded with guys under contract.

• Paid Members

Is this season as bad as folk are saying it is? I was up for watching it when it was announced, but like Supremo, I've downloaded a few episodes but never really been in the mood to watch them - didn't help a few mates said this season isn't much cop.

Reading the reviews for this episode, I may watch it after the United/Arsenal game.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't know about the rest of the season, but this episode was great. I'd definitely recommend it, provided you can handle the cringe-inducing behaviour of Julian, who's probably the biggest mong to ever appear on the show.

Plus, you get Roy Nelson doing the long jump. It's brilliant.

• Paid Members

definitly the best episode of the season...i always find the shows with the shortest fights are the better ones, just makes for a more complete episode (one of my thoughts on improving the show is to have 40mins of straight house, gym, reality shit, then tag the fight on the end no matter how long it goes).

The coaches challenge was clearly designed to humilate Roy, he surely was never gonna defeat Carwin in any kind of track and field event...it's also frightening to think that a professional athlete can't complete a 400 meter run :laugh:

The in house drinking stuff was, as Silky Junie Browning-esque. Julian's clearly a troubled guy, i bet he's known as a bit of a nightmare where he's from, that's a dangerous f'n temper.

As for the whole Dana tirade about exciting fights, i see his point but Roy also hit the nail on the head when he said that the prize at the end of the season far outweighs $5,000 you may win for having an exciting fight on the show, it's a bit of a loophole in the shows format. One of the reasons Dana soured on Roy was because Roy took the easiest path to victory when he was on tough, it's all about winning them 3 fights.

Good little fight this week though, that James dude is one odd muthafucker...i loved that he admitted the biting too, i was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe it was accidental with the choke being on so tight but he just upped and admitted it.

Best episode of the season though, lets hope people tuned in to watch it.

• Paid Members

Just watched this week's show. Defo the best episode of this season so far. It had a bit of everything that made TUF fun to watch over the years - good fight, a ridiculous coaches challenge, dickheads galore at the house and a Dana lecture. Good stuff all round.

Much better episode and fight this week. I guess that explains why the Finale card has been loaded with guys under contract.

Yeah I was saying this the other day. I was looking at the finale card and it was pretty much full already which doesn't leave much room for anyone off the show.

I read this on MMAFighting.com just now as well...

One UFC source confirmed that very few members of this season's casts are going to get regular contracts, noting the company already has a deep welterweight roster with little roster room for additions. If names were added, they would want those names to be fighters who have the potential to be at some point in the title picture. With the exception of flyweight John Dodson from season 14, it has been years since a fighter coming off the reality show has become a title contender.

Another aspect of this decision is the uncertainty of the future of Strikeforce. If the Showtime deal up early next year isn't renewed, that would likely result in a few Strikeforce welterweights also moving to UFC.

The tournament winner is a lock to get in based on the premise of the show. The loser of the championship fight, if they put on an exciting fight in what will be a featured match on television, would also have a good shot. From there, the odds are not good for anyone to even get a shot, let alone get in.

So not looking good for most of the TUFers this season. I hope they keep a lot of the guys from The Smashes though. Them lot have made for great viewing in the cage and the house. Especially Freakshow. He should get a contract whatever happens.

Plus, you get Roy Nelson doing the long jump. It's brilliant.

I fucking loved that. Big Roy trying to jump was great fun.

Roy also hit the nail on the head when he said that the prize at the end of the season far outweighs $5,000 you may win for having an exciting fight on the show, it's a bit of a loophole in the shows format.

Yeah he was right. It's obviously a conflict because like he said, a promoter wants different things from a fighter than a coach does. Dana wants excitement, Roy wants his guy to win above all else. And going out there just to try and win $5,000 is short sighted in a tournament where the turnaround is short between fights and you have to stay healthy. But on the other side of the coin, fights like Secor/Hill were fucking woeful and even a win in a fight like that doesn't mean a lot in the long run.

I can see Dana and Roy's points. For all Roy's faults at least he's got enough bollocks about him to actually disagree with Dana vocally. It might not be a smart career choice to do it in the way he does but at least he's not a total arse kisser which is admirable in my book.

Good little fight this week though, that James dude is one odd muthafucker...i loved that he admitted the biting too, i was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe it was accidental with the choke being on so tight but he just upped and admitted it.

James Chaney is creepy as fuck. They held that back didn't they. I never really noticed him at all until this episode. He's got a rapey/cannibal look about him which I find really unsettling. The fact he bit his opponent makes me even more sure he's a cannibal parading as a martial artists.

I kind of liked his weirdness at times but the biting thing is inexcusable. Forget rules that's just a piece of shit thing to do full stop. There's something really sinister about biting a person. It was good that he owned up in a way but the fact he didn't really seem to show any remorse I thought was pretty low.

In light of that I'm glad Manley won. Fun fight as well with a nice comeback.

Oh and...

julian_lane.jpg

What an absolute fucking mong.

First of all, I've taken a disliking to Michael 'Look At My Lovely Nipples' Hill and his seemingly allergic reaction to shirts the last few episodes and he showed himself to be a right knobhead here. One of them twats who can't handle their drink and have to show everyone how hard they are when they get a few Stella's down them. He looked a right plank.

He's lucky the above mohawked prick totally upstaged him in the cunt stakes. I think I hate him more than Junie. What an absolute weapon he is. An embarrassment to the human race on all fronts. It's complete bullshit as well when he throws a tantrum. He screams and goes purple and gets in people's faces and all that. Punches walls, bangs his head off stuff. But it's nothing more than an attention seeking controlled strop. He won't do anything that will actually hurt him. And for all his kicking off at people he knew he'd be held back. It's all bollocks and he thinks it makes him look intimidating. It doesn't it just makes him look like a little red tattooed cunt.

I now want them to sign him to a 5 fight deal and put him in with Aldo, Glover, Jones, Anderson and Dos Santos. Fuck weight classes. And go back to the old UFC rules which allowed headbutts and knees on the ground.

It's been fun watching him blow his chance though the tit.

EDIT - Just look at this berk...

image2.gif

The look on Ricci's face at the end there sums it up.

I watched this week's episode with friends and we had a brief debate about the views of Dana and big Roy. I have to say I very slightly sided with Dana (though I totally see Roy's point). It's all well and good to try your hardest and smartest to win the competition, but really the show has been a bit of an after-thought for years now. I've watched every season and there is no way in hell I could name all the winners in each weight class. A fair few have done well, but many have not. Also, considering at the end of the day only one bloke can win, for everyone else a super-exiting fight and balls-to-the-wall showing is more likely to see you used again than a couple of safe, boring wins and then an elimination. It's hardly like they don't end up giving contracts to some of the losers anyway, there are loads that pop up on UFC events. The whole show is basically a try-out for new talent. If you show personality, bravery or "warrior spirit" (sorry, shit cliche, but you know what I mean) the UFC will pick you up whatever.

Plus, purely as a viewer, I want great fights.

yeh thats all well and good, but what if you avoid the safest path to victory, go balls out and get laid out within a minute? what does that get you?

Well yeah, obviously that's not going to do much for you, but that's the very worst case scenario. Playing it safe and still losing a boring 2 round fight isn't going to do much for you either. It's all a bit of a gamble really. You could arguably do more to catch Dana's eye in a minute of crazy action than you would 5 minutes of boring dominance.

I'm not at all saying people should start every fight by sprinting across the cage and going all out crazy for a knockout, just that perhaps when they've clearly lost the first round (of a 2 round fight) a bit more aggression and killer instinct in round 2 would be nice. It's not like the cardio should be an issue over just two rounds, and the judges have been a fucking nightmare so going for a finish should be of paramount importance.

• Paid Members

i see what you're saying, i think you nailed when you said it's all a 'gamble'. It's one of the reasons why i hate the 1 round fights to get in the house, over the course of the past few years i'm pretty sure some of the best fighters entering the contest get eliminated before they even enter the house.

it's all about the entertainment though i suppose...especially in a TV show format.

• Paid Members

bit of a quiet episode...again i feel that when a fight goes 3 rounds it takes away from the reality/drama parts of the show, i always feel they should tag the fights on after a 40minute episode.

Got to see another pointless Julian outburst though, what a dick.

The best part of the episode was the Hill/Ricci thing...i thought Ricci came off as a bit of a hypocrite early in the episode because he was so dismissive of Julian's behaviour last week only to appear to be 'best buddies' with Michael Hill this week, despite Hill being as much of a nob as Julian. The little swerve at the end and it was props to Roy for throwing it straight at Hill when he sat down :laugh:

i'm picking Ricci to win it.

• Paid Members
Got to see another pointless Julian outburst though, what a dick.

He really is a pathetic cunt isn't he. What a fucking twat. I bet his family and anyone else unfortunate enough to be associated with him all moved house while he was on the show.

Every fucking week now he's going spastic over something and it never actually amounts to anything which just shows he's all mouth. Not that I think he should hit someone, especially when the rows have been over fuck all, but it shows it's clearly all just 'look at me' bollocks.

Cock.

The best part of the episode was the Hill/Ricci thing...i thought Ricci came off as a bit of a hypocrite early in the episode because he was so dismissive of Julian's behaviour last week only to appear to be 'best buddies' with Michael Hill this week, despite Hill being as much of a nob as Julian. The little swerve at the end and it was props to Roy for throwing it straight at Hill when he sat down :laugh:

i'm picking Ricci to win it.

Yeah I didn't see Ricci asking to fight Hill coming at all. They seemed well loved up since early on. And constantly topless Hill looked genuinely emotionally hurt like a jilted lover at the whole thing. Lovely.

I'm never sure who to pick to win TUF unless I'm familiar with someone there like TUF 10 with Big Country. But just based on Ricci's training with some top guys, his frame, being pretty well rounded and his composure in there, I like him to probably win. I think he'll reach the finals at least.

Next week looks eventful. Wonder what sends Igor mental at the weigh in? He seemed a decent enough guy up to now.

Archived