The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll actually watch this one, purely in hope they incorporate the Dana/Roy drama; like a proper McMahon/Austin feud.

The show needs a major revamp though. It's felt a bit old hat/repetitive for years now.

It was revamped last season.

• Paid Members
I'll actually watch this one, purely in hope they incorporate the Dana/Roy drama; like a proper McMahon/Austin feud.

The show needs a major revamp though. It's felt a bit old hat/repetitive for years now.

It was revamped last season.

Going live wasn't a revamp. It was a slight modification at best and the only real consequence of it was that the show was even shitter because they couldn't edit or build story archs or characters since they didn't know what'd happen week to week. Chiesa would be a megastar if it wasn't for them going live.

• Paid Members

im definitly glad its gone back to the taped format, for the reasons above.

I recognise a few names there, Ricci and Alvey from Bellator. Marunde fought on a recent Strikeforce show.

• Paid Members

I gave up a third of the way through the Faber/Cruz season because there was no proper season long hook/storyline like in previous seasons. At least the UFC realised what a disaster it was.

No idea what Carwin will be like during this, it's hard to get a read on the bloke. Hopefully Nelson winds him up a bit.

He was, but he was always rough around the edges and whilst powerful, I believe technically he had a lot to be desired although when he was fighting mid level guys that did not matter.

If he connected it was lights out, but his cardio, age, injuries and technique have been his undoing. JDS made him look like a amateur, even outwrestling him at one point and beating him at his own game. The Mir win was impressive, but Mir does not always fight smart and should have not clinched with Carwin, instead he should have stayed away and picked Carwin off for while until Carwin gassed.

Carwin is in the last generation of heavies like Lesnar and Mir, the new breed of Cain and JDS are better and at Carwin's age he is never going to catch up to them.

Nelson could spring a upset, either way it will be a fight I am really looking forward to.

• Paid Members

Big Roy's got some help in for this;

team-nelson-tuf-16-clothing.jpg

Must say, the Dana/Nelson beef is interesting me more than anything involving Carwin or the contestants. I'm sure there'll be some good fights as well and house drama and all that good stuff. But like Blackson said, the Dana/Roy stuff gives it an interesting twist.

Will be good to see the Diaz brothers on TUF as well. I think people expecting '209 Gangsta' antics out of them on this season might be disappointed though. Nate was pretty well behaved on TUF 5 and both of them don't fuck about in training from what I've seen. I think Nick and Nate will be great for the guys to learn from on this show.

Interestingly, Nick won't be able to be at the TUF gym on fight days due to his suspension. He'll be involved in all the training but he'll be banished from the building on fight days.

We'll probably get Ronda pop in again at some point as well given her ties to the Diaz camp lately.

Nelson could spring a upset, either way it will be a fight I am really looking forward to.

I'm not even sure I'd consider it an upset to be honest. Nelson's been around MMA forever both as a coach and a fighter. He's fought pretty much all the top guys and he's done pretty well for himself.

They were set to fight last year, I picked Nelson then and I'm picking him now. I like Carwin and I still think he's at least a threat to any heavyweight. And I mean any, including the top 2 or 3, just because of the power he packs in his punches.

But predicting this fight on their skills, I have to lean towards Big Country. He's got big power in his hands as well, excellent grappling, a rock chin and with him dropping a fair bit of weight the last year he's probably improved a lot on his cardio as well.

Plus Carwin's been out of action for well over a year now, he had a serious injury which required surgery and wasn't even able to train for a long time. That's a big setback for anyone but especially for a 37 year old heavyweight.

If Carwin lands a bomb early and it lands clean then he could finish this, even with Roy's cement jaw. But logically I like Nelson to submit or TKO a knackered Carwin around the 3rd/4th round.

• Paid Members

i see this as the UFC taking advantage of Carwin's popularity whilst they still can. I don't see him fighting far beyond 2012-2013 due to several factors. He might even not be the same fighter when he comes back, the lay off at his age might have a terrible effect. Personally i'd like to see him bulk up and go for broke again, i always felt that againt JDS, Carwin tried too hard to match JDS skill-wise. The guy's needs to be a fucking monster that goes and destroys people, it might not work down the stretch but that's that what brought Carwin to the dance.

I'm not even sure I'd consider it an upset to be honest. Nelson's been around MMA forever both as a coach and a fighter. He's fought pretty much all the top guys and he's done pretty well for himself.

They were set to fight last year, I picked Nelson then and I'm picking him now. I like Carwin and I still think he's at least a threat to any heavyweight. And I mean any, including the top 2 or 3, just because of the power he packs in his punches.

But predicting this fight on their skills, I have to lean towards Big Country. He's got big power in his hands as well, excellent grappling, a rock chin and with him dropping a fair bit of weight the last year he's probably improved a lot on his cardio as well.

Plus Carwin's been out of action for well over a year now, he had a serious injury which required surgery and wasn't even able to train for a long time. That's a big setback for anyone but especially for a 37 year old heavyweight.

If Carwin lands a bomb early and it lands clean then he could finish this, even with Roy's cement jaw. But logically I like Nelson to submit or TKO a knackered Carwin around the 3rd/4th round.

My only problem would be if Nelson takes so much of a beating the ref waves it of before Carwin gasses, it had to be getting close to that with Werdum, Nelson was a mess.

I think Nelson is more skilled and has better cardio, its just a case of will he get a chance to use. If he trades early like he usually does Carwin may turn his lights out or more than likely make him such a mess that the ref stops it due to cuts or a broken nose.

Archived