The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

On Dana and TUF, the thing that irritates me most is the shit he comes out with in the elimination fights. One fight in particular this time, I forget which, the guys were grappling and Dana goes something like "This is just a wrestling match, they've done literally no damage at all". 50 seconds into the fucking fight. Ridiculous. Then seconds later one of them got the submission.

Then almost every fight he's giving it the "C'mon boys" seconds into the fight in some cases. Any sign of grappling and he's rolling his eyes and moaning that they should show they "really want it".

I used to really like Dana and I still do in some ways but he's becoming increasingly annoying lately for me. He likes to walk around acting tough and talking like he's some fight expert but in reality he's the biggest Just Bleed fan of the lot. I understand he's the promoter and he wants an exciting product, of course. Nobody wants to see boring fights. But these guys are getting an opportunity of their lives on the show, they have to fight smart in order to advance. Not only to stay on the show but they will have to fight again soon if they get through so it makes fuck all sense to "stand and bang" and go into your next fight all banged up. Roy Nelson can be a right smartarse and a bit of a cocky sod but he was spot on with his advice to the fighters at the beginning. It's not what Dana wants to hear of course but Roy's there to train fighters and get them as far in the show as possible. It doesn't benefit him or the fighters to get into wars on day one.

When you actually hear Dana talking during the fights it seems that he really doesn't have a clue. He's a "boxing guy", and as such he wants to see guys who stand & bang.

He's a top notch promoter, but he seems to know fuck all about the various skills it takes to fight in MMA.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If they really want exciting matches/finishes so much, I wonder if there's anything to stop them getting the candidates and telling them it's a three round fight, but if you don't win by stoppage you don't get in the house and they'll just do some qualification matches with reserve guys the next day until they've filled the slots.

Might be a bit more hassle as you'd have to vet more guys, but it should be doable. Even if the athletic commission chucks a wobbly you can let the judges come up with an official points decision but not let it affect the competition.

• Paid Members

I don't think that is true. Season 2 Luke Cummo and Brad Imes were picked last and both made it to the final but lost. I may be mistaken but I don't think any of the winners were picked last.

Maybe Amir Sadollah but I can't remember.

• Paid Members

Really? Jesus, I thought Amir would have been lower down the picks given his inexperience. But I do remember Forrest was pretty high on him from day one so makes sense.

Thinking of other past winners, I can't remember how early/late Jonathan Brookins, Court McGee or Mike Chiesa were picked. It's bad that I can remember the first few seasons clearly yet I can barely remember anything of the last one. The last 3 or 4 TUFs have all really blended together in my memory.

• Paid Members

You deserve more credit than me; I'd completely forgotten about Court McGee until you just mention him!

I guess it really goes to show how stale and samey the show has become when we can remember loads of tiny details about the first five or so seasons, yet almost nothing about the more recent ones.

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah McGee is very forgettable. To be honest he only re-entered my memory when I looked up a list of past TUF winners. Not much personality and nothing remarkable about him as a fighter. If he's remembered at all it will probably for his beard. Might be harsh but I think it's true.

Having watched the second episode of the show today I have to say that watching Cameron Diffley fight was frustrating. He looked as though he never really got started in there, and even when he got the takedown he did virtually nothing.

After around a minute on the ground it became clear that Magny fancied his chances a whole lot more, and he pretty much had the fight handled on every level. Saying that, I didn't think Magny looked that great either.

The dude with the mohawk is going to piss me off this season, I can tell.

• Paid Members

Bloody Elbow are reporting that Mike Pyle vs James Head will be on the TUF 16 finale.

And yeah mohawk man is the season twat for sure. That preview thing they do at the end of episode 1 showed him throwing some spacktacular tantrums in the clips. Crying and smacking his own head against the wall and all sorts. Looks a right div.

• Paid Members

he came off as a right f'n bully too. He was abusing Matt for literally no reason, Matt (im sure his name is Matt) responded and mohawk threw his toys out of the pram.

I look forward to seeing him get smashed.

• Paid Members

You need a dickhead like that sometimes though don't you. It's fun watching them get humbled. The episode in season 8 where Efrain finally beat down Junie was one of the most satisfying hour's viewing I've ever spent. Same to a slightly lesser extent when he beat Junie's sidekick Shane Nelson.

Stuff like that makes TUF. The one exception to this was when Tony Ferguson (the twat of season 13) actually went on to win the whole thing. I'm still waiting for him to get his comeuppance. He lost his last fight but I want to see him get a proper Iron Sheik humbling.

Archived