The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm with Supremo in that i aint really a fan of seeing the fights to get into the house, just pick the top 16 guys and get em straight in there.Dana grated on me with the exciting shit too, he says it isn't just about winning?? in that situation it fucking is, if you lose the qualifying fight you're gone, why shouldn't guys take the safest path to victory? once they are in the house it changes a little because your gonna be on TV for 12 weeks and they actually offer cash, but if you dont make that house it's all for nothing.Sam Alvey is a guy ive followed in Bellator for a while, he always came across as a bit goofy there with the smiling and shit but he's fun to watch, he's gotta be an early favorite. That other weird fucker that Dana called nutty could make for some strange tv too, didn't i see him punch himself in the face during his fight?

Any of you have a feeling the feud between Dana and Nelson is a work? I've never heard about heat between the two, apart from the weigth issuses now and then, and I get the feeling that Nelson has agreed to be the bad guy on this one. Hell, he trains with the Diaz boys so that connection is easily made. If he was really such a jerk, just fire him after 2 losses (he had 2 two-fight losing streaks). Was there heat before this? Am I too cynical or, are they trying to spice up those ratings?

• Paid Members

Dana had problems with him since before TUF 10, im pretty sure Nelson was put on the show in order for him to prove himself rather than just walking straight into the UFC, which he was good enough to do. I aint seen the season since it aired but im pretty sure they butted heads during the season as well. It just escalated from there.

• Paid Members

Yeah Nelson deserved to be in the UFC anyway I thought. I think Dana has always had a problem with how he looks and that's why he wanted him to go through TUF to earn his way in. Then on the show Roy annoyed him as well which didn't help.

On Dana and TUF, the thing that irritates me most is the shit he comes out with in the elimination fights. One fight in particular this time, I forget which, the guys were grappling and Dana goes something like "This is just a wrestling match, they've done literally no damage at all". 50 seconds into the fucking fight. Ridiculous. Then seconds later one of them got the submission.

Then almost every fight he's giving it the "C'mon boys" seconds into the fight in some cases. Any sign of grappling and he's rolling his eyes and moaning that they should show they "really want it".

I used to really like Dana and I still do in some ways but he's becoming increasingly annoying lately for me. He likes to walk around acting tough and talking like he's some fight expert but in reality he's the biggest Just Bleed fan of the lot. I understand he's the promoter and he wants an exciting product, of course. Nobody wants to see boring fights. But these guys are getting an opportunity of their lives on the show, they have to fight smart in order to advance. Not only to stay on the show but they will have to fight again soon if they get through so it makes fuck all sense to "stand and bang" and go into your next fight all banged up. Roy Nelson can be a right smartarse and a bit of a cocky sod but he was spot on with his advice to the fighters at the beginning. It's not what Dana wants to hear of course but Roy's there to train fighters and get them as far in the show as possible. It doesn't benefit him or the fighters to get into wars on day one.

• Paid Members

it was the Bristol Marunde fight where he made 'these guys are doing no damage' comment, it was ridiculous. The fight started with a wild exchange, Marunde landed a huge knee up the middle then they went into a real jockying for position grappling exchange, they certainly wasn't stalling.

It is poor start, but really what do the UFC expect.

What angle is there to hook the casual viewer, just MMA fights alone are not enough to hook me in 2012, let alone a casual viewer. Its not 2005 when people were amazed they could see a MMA fight for free on TV.

There is no Kimbo Slice there to draw interest and the promotion has been terrible, I forgot it was on until the day before. However, the show itself will be top draw, even if it does not offer anything original or a hook to it. It looks fun enough to watch and Nelson and Dana feuding will be very fun to watch.

They did try something new with the live format that failed as last season in my opinion was fucking dire, they ideally need something new and original to add a new twist of they want viewers, the idea of having 16 established fighters on the show fighting for a Million Dollars or a Title Shot would be something I would pay to see, they could even bring back the live format for that.

• Paid Members

I don't know how practical it would be, but somebody once suggested doing a series where you get one or two people who've not done MMA before but come from a specific combat background (eg wrestling, judo, jiu-jitsu etc) and you're effectively doing UFC 1 (with more rules) but over the course of a season. Problem is that the athletic commission would probably be very wary of it, plus you'd have to watch out for ringers.

• Paid Members

They need to do something bigger/better to change the jaded format of TUF. It's looked really dated and played out for a few years now, and it appears people aren't that arsed with it any more.

Taking from JNLister's idea, maybe take four promising rookies on the roster and do a documentary following their rise/struggles in MMA. There are plenty of blokes they already have signed that could use it. If you're in luck you may even manage a couple of fights between them. First name that comes to mind is the young lad that GSP is raving about (I forgot his name).

Archived