TNA Destination X 2012 discussion *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

Just a random note, the last three World Champions in TNA are all men that hadn't held it previously, which hasn't happened for a while, and it's quite interesting looking at what the men in these sequences have in common :

April '10 - January '11 - title passes from RVD to Jeff Hardy to Anderson, who all were all ex WWE stars.

December '11 - July '12 - Storm to Roode to Aries, all whom made their name in TNA.

Along with Joe going over Kurt Angle so strongly, is this indicative of a conscious turning of the tide towards promoting guys that TNA made themselves, over the established WWE guys?

Certainly seems that way, although I would say it's due to the individual performances of each wrestler and not necessarily a more conscious effort to push more "TNA originals". Let's face it, Anderson and RVD aren't exactly putting in brilliant shifts, and, as over as Jeff Hardy is, he doesn't seem to be blowing anyone away recently. On the other hand, people like Aries, Roode, Storm (and even Joe recently) seem to be impressing everybody. The "TNA guys" are all stepping it up. You just have to look at Hogan electronically sucking off AJ, Kazarian and Daniels on Twitter this morning to see that they're stepping it up.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Would hogan and sting need a 3rd person for a match against the bikers?

Joe,Hardy or Angle for me

A returning face Jarrett would be one possibility. Although Jarrett should probably stay heel as he's ace. I think it's a perfect spot to bring back in another fan favourite from the older days. Nash?

Bring back Jeff on Hogan & Sting's side and have him turn on them, ala Hogan at Bash at the Beach. Too obvious?

Not really a fan of Zema winning. I thought they was more money in one of the younger guys doing it. Say if Kenny King did it, and dominated in a similar way to Aries - it could start a debate, if Aries was in the X-Division while King was, would he be so dominant? Aries has pretty much beaten Zema constantly all year so it's made Zema and the X-Division look 2nd best. It's a good thing Aries won the belt, because otherwise it could have made the entire division look like crap.

I'm annoyed at myself for going on a news-site, out of habit, and seeing "TWO NEW CHAMPIONS CROWNED" as a headline. It ruined what was an amazing moment. Everyone went ballistic and it was a joy to watch. It certainly throws a major spanner in the works. What i see happening now is Roode kicking the shit out of Storm's opponent in a rage, and causing Storm to lose 10 points and kicks up their rivalry again. I can see the whole "I want you to stay champ so I can beat you" thing being dropped as Zema and Jesse have apparently taken that role. Storm and Roode don't really need the belt, although it would have been nice to see Storm win the belt, but I think he needed to end the super-long reign to have the same effect, I think it's lost now.

Like the majority of the X-Division guys. They need to keep Sonjay & Kenny and build the division around them 2. And then they can keep Cameron, Mason & Rubix as well. Flippy undercard jobbers are needed for the X-Division. Flip can stay, so he can be the Petey Williams (not do anything of note in multi-mans and then hits a flippy finisher for a nearfall). But get rid of Lars Only. That's such a shit name too. "ONLY GETS A TWO COUNT" just sounds like he's read an autocue wrong. And no Dakota Darsow. He's just bland. Far too bland for the X-Division, you can have a bland moveset if you have a top personality but if you have a bland personality, you can get away with it with a good moveset. Darsow has none so he's useless for the X-Divison and TNA in general.

And then they can keep Cameron, Mason & Rubix as well. Flippy undercard jobbers are needed for the X-Division. Flip can stay, so he can be the Petey Williams (not do anything of note in multi-mans and then hits a flippy finisher for a nearfall).

All four of them looked like nothing but bush league ham n eggers though.

I know the x-division can be somewhat of a bridge between the indies and the big time, but it's an international promotion and there's no reason why they should just infest it with budget crap who have no place being on tv (other than possibly as unpromoted Xplosion jobbers). If they're raiding the indies for talent, they should be searching around the top end, or casting their net a bit wider to Mexico and Japan where they'll find no shortage of polished, rounded performers.

And then they can keep Cameron, Mason & Rubix as well. Flippy undercard jobbers are needed for the X-Division. Flip can stay, so he can be the Petey Williams (not do anything of note in multi-mans and then hits a flippy finisher for a nearfall).

All four of them looked like nothing but bush league ham n eggers though.

I know the x-division can be somewhat of a bridge between the indies and the big time, but it's an international promotion and there's no reason why they should just infest it with budget crap who have no place being on tv (other than possibly as unpromoted Xplosion jobbers). If they're raiding the indies for talent, they should be searching around the top end, or casting their net a bit wider to Mexico and Japan where they'll find no shortage of polished, rounded performers.

I disagree. I think they all have their flaws but they all stand out enough that they should get over. Rubix in particular got very over, last night - and if he stays he's going to gain a cult following. I like Cameron and a tiny angry man gimmick. There's a sad face he pulls last night that needs to be made as a gif, it was amazing. Give him a giant bodyguard and you've got a nice midcard act. Mason Andrews has the best look of the 3, is probably the most impressive in the ring - but he just needs to step up and show personality, which I believe will come out, so they should keep up with him.

Other than that, I can't see who TNA would take. Young Bucks want nothing to do with them and Adam Cole is tied up with ROH. Maybe King can bring Rhett Titus with him as he could be a nice little addition. Maybe try and steal TJP, Sami Callihan and Johnny Gargano (if WWE hasn't got there first). But thats it.

I think after looking at the tale of the tape and seeing 18 pounds and 2 inch difference between the heavyweight champ and the X-Division guy shows that maybe they should go smaller with the X guys so they can stand out more.

Other than that, I can't see who TNA would take. Young Bucks want nothing to do with them and Adam Cole is tied up with ROH. Maybe King can bring Rhett Titus with him as he could be a nice little addition. Maybe try and steal TJP, Sami Callihan and Johnny Gargano (if WWE hasn't got there first). But thats it.

I dont think you are looking far enough - Theres plenty of guys out there that are more polished that TNA could use.

I'm usually a big fan of seeing new faces turn up like they have on iMPACT/Destination X - I used to particularly love it back in the Nitro days, when stars from all over the world would show up, however this batch that TNA have brought in have been dismal.

They dont have to just look at ROH/PWG/American indies - Im sure these guys are cheap, but that doesnt make the X-Division look good. Kenny King seems good, and I found Rubix quite impressive (As did the crowd, pity he didnt make it through to the tournament) but the rest need work - and that includes the actual TNA employees too. As good as Kid Kash can be, and as much as I love Doug, they both need re-built on TV before they can be taken seriously on a PPV.

If TNA were willing to spend a bit more money, why not bring in some bigger names, like Prince Devitt for example. Alex Koslov seems to be available, TNA seemed quite keen on him in his short run a few years back, and in the meantime he's had years of 'Sports Entertainment development' by WWE who then ditched him - Seems perfect to me.

Im not overly familiar with them, but Im sure theres numerous Luchadores available south of the border - they wouldnt even need to be signed to contracts as TNA already have working agreements. Why not even bring in some recognisable AAA names for a couple of dates, like Psicosis (Who has TNA history) or LA Park? Same for NJPW, not sure if they still have agreements in place, but in years past they've had people like Tanahashi come over for a few dates. Liger's due a victory over Joe too...

Whats Paul London up to? Could Low-Ki be enticed back? Sonjay seems pretty over, why not bring back some other past X-Division faces like Petey Williams, Matt Bentley, Jay Lethal or Johnny Devine

They've already got people working with Ring Ka King (Noticed it got a mention on-air too) they could use, like Nunzio/Broadway or The Daivaris.

If they want nobodies, why not just use some of the guys they already have in OVW, rather than finding new names on the US Indies?

Not saying any of these people are perfect, but theres certainly the talent out there if they look (and pay) for it. Any of these epople would have put on a better show than Flippy Casanova and Smash Jr.

Great PPV from TNA again.

Aries winning the TNA World Title was the feel good moment of 2012. Me and two friends stood up marking for the end and I ended up hitting a light on the ceiling. Wrestling should make us react like that.

Jigsaw looked great and was over as hell. Hopefully they bring him back.

Lars Only and Smashs son were awful.

Kid Kash is the bollocks

• Paid Members

As everyone else has said, great fucking show. TNA really are the dog's bollocks at the moment. It's incredible how good the overall product they are putting out is. I knew the result of Aries/Roode going in and still was on the edge of my seat. I wish Aries would drop the cape now though, he looks like a right spanner wearing it as a babyface. Most the X Division stuff was fairly shit however, the current guys aren't up to much scratch. TNA should raid Mexico and Dragon Gate. Bring in Ricochet, Dragon Kid, keep Jigsaw & Kenny King, a lucha guy, Alex Koslov. There's tons of talent out there, they shouldn't be using shite like Sabian, that skinny weird head-shaped Flip guy and Darsow.

My guess is BFG will end up with:

Austin Aries vs. Kurt Angle for the title

Bobby Roode vs. James Storm in a bloody hate filled gimmick match to end their fued

Hopefully some kind of Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett match with Hogan & the biker gang possibly involved.

That's what's so great about TNA at the moment, there are tons of ways things can progress that everything feels unpredictable and at the moment TNA is so good you feel confident that everything will get a satisfying payoff.

Well, yes, because they were shit. I can't imagine much tears were shed over their quitting. The way you put it, it sounded like TNA were banging on their door "Pleeease come back and do your terrible Hard Boys impression to silent crowds!!" "No way, man, we're happy turning up on tiny indy shows after we burnt our bridges at WWE by being dickheads".

Well, yes, because they were shit. I can't imagine much tears were shed over their quitting. The way you put it, it sounded like TNA were banging on their door "Pleeease come back and do your terrible Hard Boys impression to silent crowds!!" "No way, man, we're happy turning up on tiny indy shows after we burnt our bridges at WWE by being dickheads".

I don't think I was, I was just saying looking at the current indys, they aren't that much talent out there for them to take due to the ROH contracts and guys flat out not wanting to work there. The Young Bucks might not set the world alight, but I'm sure TNA would prefer them to Lars Only or Flip Casanova

Archived