The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

21 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

government will cover 80% of wages.

Will they though? Really?

Or is like the claim the government makes that it will pay disability to those who are far too ill to work, only to then shaft them and force them to apply for jobs they can't really do?

My belief is, if the government are happy to shaft the terminally and seriously ill, they'll have no issue fucking with the average Joe affected by the virus. 

45 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Bored again David?

Just asking a question. Remember a month or so ago when everyone thought the Tory's were a bunch of self-centred, ridiculous, evil pricks? I personally know two people who's doctors claimed they were entirely unfit for any kind of work, yet this government saw fit to force them to continue the fucking charade of searching and applying for jobs.

What's changed? Do we honestly believe they're going to pay the plebs to sit at home? 

I would pretty much bet my buy-to-let apartment on them adding numerous little loopholes that will see people who assumed they'd get help actually get fuck all.

Anyone who is banking on 80% of their wages being covered by the government are mental. Their track record suggests that such payments will be incredibly difficult to claim, and that most ordinary people get shafted.

I really hope to fuck that I'm wrong mind you, but this is the Tory's we're talking about.

Quick Mrs Grecian update:

She told her boss she was unwilling to work whilst on furlough. His answer was everyone else was willing to (not a surprise, he pays crap money and is a bit of a nob, so most of the workers are recent graduates who don't know much about work and the law until they realise they can make more money elsewhere and leave). 

She refused to cave, so he's now switched her to three weeks on, three weeks off furlough. She stops work on Wednesday for three weeks. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

Or is like the claim the government makes that it will pay disability to those who are far too ill to work, only to then shaft them and force them to apply for jobs they can't really do?

My belief is, if the government are happy to shaft the terminally and seriously ill, they'll have no issue fucking with the average Joe affected by the virus. 

My daughter got an email mail from her boss (she works for a small business on a Saturday), telling her to complete the form he sent her as she should get a payment from the government of 80% of her missing wages, so it looks like the forms are being sent to the businesses who apply.

18 hours ago, David said:

The 'fucking with the average Joe' comes later, once this crisis passes and then everybody has to pay for it through more austerity and higher taxes.

17 hours ago, David said:

Just asking a question. Remember a month or so ago when everyone thought the Tory's were a bunch of self-centred, ridiculous, evil pricks? I personally know two people who's doctors claimed they were entirely unfit for any kind of work, yet this government saw fit to force them to continue the fucking charade of searching and applying for jobs.

What's changed? Do we honestly believe they're going to pay the plebs to sit at home? 

I would pretty much bet my buy-to-let apartment on them adding numerous little loopholes that will see people who assumed they'd get help actually get fuck all.

Anyone who is banking on 80% of their wages being covered by the government are mental. Their track record suggests that such payments will be incredibly difficult to claim, and that most ordinary people get shafted.

I really hope to fuck that I'm wrong mind you, but this is the Tory's we're talking about.

The Government isn't paying 80% of the wage. Their employer pays through payroll and it is the company that applies for a grant and receives a money. I know there is an issue for some with the 28th Feb cut off date for employment (introduced to prevent fraud), meaning a small number of folks who changed job in early March are without support, but broadly these scheme can help almost all employees retain their job at this time

8 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

My daughter got an email mail from her boss (she works for a small business on a Saturday), telling her to complete the form he sent her as she should get a payment from the government of 80% of her missing wages, so it looks like the forms are being sent to the businesses who apply.

Hmmm suspicious. Someone is misleading you or your daughter here....be careful. The HMRC have not have not even opened a portal for companies to apply for this yet.

Proof here.... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

Also the govt WILL NOT pay her for her missing wages, it's the company who applies for and receives the grant, hopefully by end of April payments to companies will start.....but employers must keep their employees on payroll and pay them through payroll.

I'm in the midst of furloughing employees in my company. I have a letter template from my external legal council to use and have elected to top up the difference between the 80% and full pay to ensure no employee is out of pocket, but no company is obligated to do that. When the portal opens online, I will then register each employee with HMRC and the company receives a grant back from the state - like a rebate.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Hmmm suspicious. Someone is misleading you or your daughter here....be careful. The HMRC have not have not even opened a portal for companies to apply for this yet.

Proof here.... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

My son has had similar to Plex's daughter, as a furloughed zero-hour contract employee for a publicly listed international company (i.e. not some two-bit corner shop). He has had a few forms to fill out to get his remuneration. I guess larger companies know what's coming so are assembling everything in place and they will know how much money they will have to ask for as and when, rather than waiting for the portal to open.

Edited by Onyx2
Not implying your daughter works for a two-bit corner shop, Sexy Plexy.

4 hours ago, MPDTT said:

The Government isn't paying 80% of the wage. Their employer pays through payroll and it is the company that applies for a grant and receives a money.

So the government is paying for it, just not directly. My concern still stands, I'm afraid. I have zero confidence in this government playing fair in this regard. I honestly would not be surprised if they've went ahead and said what they had to say to get everyone on board with how they're having to deal with this situation and figure they'll deal with the fallout in a few months.

As a business owner who's already seeing my livelihood affected negatively I'm not sure I'd be handing out wages based on the idea that I'll be reimbursed down the line by a government that will be spending the next few years putting out financial fires and trying to hold together a system that will be cracking under huge pressure. 

I don't envy any business owner that position. 

In a way, the government have placed the onus on the employer, haven't they? If a business owner isn't willing to pay their employees in good faith that the government will come through for them, they'll be painted as utter cunts.

The whole thing is a shit-show of epic proportions. The sooner we can get the workforce back out there, the better.

• Paid Members

Most of the charity I work for are furloughed as of tomorrow with the exception of a the frontline care staff and management (so far). I’ve actually been told that, in the pecking order, I’m right near the top because I have to keep our website and social media going. No sitting round enjoying Netflix or playing on my Xbox for the next 3+ weeks.