Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

Additionally, info you have made public on social media is your responsibility. 

I'm not saying their behaviour isn't annoying, but I don't think it's illegal. 

Devil's advocate; genuine concern from colleagues? I could see their POV if I was really worried about someone I worked with but didn't have personal contact details for them. 

Not sure if this is the thread but I need some advice on how to persevere.

I've handed my notice in at my current school and the notice period is a term/12 weeks. Admittedly I handed my notice in the day before the term deadline as I wasn't expecting to find a new job or be successful at interview. Anyway, since handing in my notice the leadership team is not talking to me and staff are making me feel like I have made a mistake for going despite me looking forward to new challenges. In addition, students from each class have made been making digs and making me feel guilty for going.

How do I deal with being ignored and trying to remain positive instead of choosing to jack it in for the remaining 4 weeks?

1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

How do I deal with being ignored and trying to remain positive instead of choosing to jack it in for the remaining 4 weeks?

By knowing that the pupils have shown more maturity than your colleagues  Embrace it, revel in their disgust.

About a million years ago I mentioned that I was looking to change careers.

Well, I did and then some, switching from call centre work to volunteering to mental health work to now having 2 jobs

One as a Data Officer for a Substance Misuse Charity ( I'm shit at maths, but really good at collating and presenting stats) dragging a 2nd charity kicking and screaming through GDPR changes and changing Crm management, reporting and training. 

In job 2 I work frontline for the NHS and have spent the last six months or so setting up an Outreach service from scratch on a zero budget that is now actively involved in so many things it's ridiculous. 

Why am I posting in here? Well, working 2 jobs is corpsing me mentally and physically and 70 hour weeks arent unusual. I love what I do, but I cant keep doing it at this pace, as I'll fall apart. 

So where next? I've got Administrator status on In Form ( charity version of Saleaforce) and narrowly missed out on a Salesforce Consultant job last year that would have seen a 40k plus salary ( mental money tbh!) I have project management experience up to my eyeballs, but no Prince2 ( it's shit but people want the qualification) and im kinda stuck.

I love working 3rd Sector/charity/ health because anything can make a very real difference to people's lives.

Ive been asked to do training around social media as a side project for two different charities after increasing impressions and views from the low 10s to the thousands without promoting a  single post and delivery of that will net me around 250 quid for 3 hours training and a revised social media policy.

I'd love to move into consultancy, whilst keeping my NHS job, but not sure how to start. 

Anyone got any ideas as basically I need to work smarter not longer 

Thanks 

I've got an interview tomorrow for an acting manager position in my department to cover maternity leave and I'm shitting it a bit. I wasn't that nervous as I thought I was pretty well prepared for it, but when I came to practice my examples out loud a few days ago it all came out as a jumbled mess of shite and I sounded like someone who shouldn't be in charge of a broom. Since then I've gone over it a lot, and it's tonnes better, but I am slightly worried I will turn to jelly in the room. 

Good luck! I tend to blather like an idiot when I’m nervous- but I’ve found deep breaths, pausing and speaking much slower than I normally would helps!

Easier said than done, I know...but, as a hiring manager know that if they are interviewing you, they want to hire you. They want that task completed, especially if you already work in the department and know all the policies and processes- just so much easier for them.

I think it went pretty well. I was articulate, which was the main think I was worried I wouldn't be. I was able to give decent examples for most of the questions asked, and in ones where I didn't I knew company procedure so pointed to that. I was bricking it a bit before I went in but as soon as I started it was fine. It was my department manager who I get on with and another manager who I didn't know, but was very laid back so that made me relax in turn. I won't hear back for at least a week apparently, but I'm mainly just glad I didn't make a tit of myself. 

An update: Out of the candidates they apparently couldn't separate 4 of us based on our interviews, so they have added an extra round, a presentation. Hopefully I can do well at this and get a good head-start for The Eliminator round. 

Move on the 1st September and start my course for teaching the day after. 

Nobody thought they'd see this. 

Luckily made a ton of friends at festivals this summer so know them round the Birmingham area. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, gmoney said:

An update: Out of the candidates they apparently couldn't separate 4 of us based on our interviews, so they have added an extra round, a presentation. Hopefully I can do well at this and get a good head-start for The Eliminator round. 

Presentation is tomorrow. Bricking it. 

Well I think it went pretty well. I wish I was able to convince myself that the anxiety about things like this is always much worse than the actual event. In fact its probably more unbearable than the worst scenario that could have played out. But anyway, it was fine. I spoke well, didn't lose my place and my manager said he was struggling to think of questions because I'd so thoroughly covered the subject. Fingers crossed. I won't find out for another 3 weeks at least as one of the candidates has fucked off on holiday. I hope they get docked for that. 

My direct line manager has recently left the company and I have taken up her workload while a replacement is found. In the end the company decided to only advertise internally, meaning it has to be one of 3 of us. 1 didnt want to apply, so it's me and my colleague and friend. Trouble is, he interviews better than me and when we have gone head to head for roles in the past he has got them over me.

Going to be an interesting week...

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

My direct line manager has recently left the company and I have taken up her workload while a replacement is found.

This is your job interview, keep the emphasis on how you're already doing the job and have proven you're ready to step into their shoes.