The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I watched West Brom v Man United (kick off midnight local time) in Roppongi last August, if that counts. I think where we went afterwards didnt really qualify as a rave club, if I understand you kids' vernacular correctly. Although the novelty of watching the JWP Openweight Champion getting grinded on by Nipponese lads that barely came up to her (ample) bosom, followed by a brisk walk to the train station as the sun was coming up while trying to ignore the hookers pulling forlornly at my jacket sleeves still hasn't quite worn off.

In terms of class A, since turning 30 I am far more inclined to research whether or not I can get brown sauce than locate a local merchant of Bolivian. And speaking of the hookers, my mate informs me that if they say it's Y3000 for a blow job, they're lying. How he came about this knowledge, I did not ask. Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these?

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Just be honest with prospective employer. Say you're willing to work for less money for the right job. You work in a similar field to me. If you said that to me in an interview and you were already in a job then it'd come across fine to me.

• Paid Members

Do you guys think it looks bad to apply for a new job when you've only been in your current job a few months? My current job is fine and everything but I'm earning way less than I was at even ages 19 or 20 and I really need to be increasing my salary as much as possible in the next five years.

• Moderators

Exactly as the others have said johnnyboy.. I've just been in the exact same situation and have accepted a new job at a significantly lower salary because the work is really interesting. I did get questions, but it was OK. If you're going through agents it might be best to have that discussion with them even if they haven't brought it up with you as they can then give some assurance to the clients.

And yes jobber, if it's a permanent job that does look bad.

• Paid Members

I've been at my current job for four days and I'm already looking elsewhere.

Not because of money reasons, but because the hours are shit, and it's the worst run office I've ever been in.

For any of you who are unsure what to do for a job, unhappy with current career etc...have a go at this.

It's a personality test which then comes up with some suggested jobs.

Would be good to see what it comes up with and whether you agree with it.

• Paid Members

I guess technically it's permanent. I am on continual 3 month contracts that get renewed. But they have the exact right amount of staff they need. They can't do the shifts with any less. The only reason I don't have an actual permanent contract is because they just got bought out by some massive company and so all that shit is being sorted.

• Paid Members

Like a lot of people, i'm fairly unhappy in what im doing at the moment - going through the motions and with career goals way beyond my means.

However, i saw a job that interested me on Thursday, deadline for applications was Friday so i spent most of the day at work completing a completely speculative application and have just been called in for interview!!!

I dont expect to land it, but i aim to learn from it the areas i need to work on in order to make that line of work more attainable for me. Pretty chuffed, really wasn't expecting anything to come of it.

• Moderators

I guess technically it's permanent. I am on continual 3 month contracts that get renewed. But they have the exact right amount of staff they need. They can't do the shifts with any less. The only reason I don't have an actual permanent contract is because they just got bought out by some massive company and so all that shit is being sorted.

Fuck em then. It's not permanent. you can always cite 'lack of stability' if questioned on your motives.

• Paid Members

Anyone had to undergo group psychometric testing as part of an interview process? Got a letter confirming my interview yesterday, and as well as that i have to complete an online personality profiling exercise and deliver a 10 minute presentation.

I dont usually have problems in an interview situation, but am feeling some added pressure as this one is for a job in an area that is of real interest to me, rather than a job i'm going for because of the wage.

• Paid Members
Anyone had to undergo group psychometric testing as part of an interview process? Got a letter confirming my interview yesterday, and as well as that i have to complete an online personality profiling exercise and deliver a 10 minute presentation.

I dont usually have problems in an interview situation, but am feeling some added pressure as this one is for a job in an area that is of real interest to me, rather than a job i'm going for because of the wage.

Take the lead in any group discussions, challenge others as Nessecary but not in an obnoxious way. Let others deviate away from the subject matter then bring it back on course. Just be assertive and lead. You'll be fine pal.