Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

I know the feeling. I was looking through the vacancies today, and while I don't expect to see anything demanding my background, there's absolutely fuck all requiring transferrable skills.

Employers can take the piss a bit too, demanding graduates for minimum wage, tea making jobs.

Employers can take the piss a bit too, demanding graduates for minimum wage, tea making jobs.

What I've seen so far from the brief look I had last week while merely contemplating my future, since there are so many looking then they can stipulate so much on the "Essential" and "Desired" lists of skills/experience. It's actually quite daunting that I only actually applied for one job where the Essentials didnt completely rule me out. I didn't even look at Desired. And to be blunt, my Excel skills are not exactly "excellent." It doesn't matter really, the amount of applicants they'll have with relevant experience, I'll have a celebratory wank if I get so much as an interview.

Not in the interview, obviously.

Edited by air_raid

Final update on mine, hopefully: they've agreed to pay me half my fee for what I did yesterday. I've decided to settle at that just to get it over with. And because I wanted to get one over one them, I signed of the phone call with "I wish you the best in your future endeavours". Was quite pleased with myself there.

Final update on mine, hopefully: they've agreed to pay me half my fee for what I did yesterday. I've decided to settle at that just to get it over with. And because I wanted to get one over one them, I signed of the phone call with "I wish you the best in your future endeavours". Was quite pleased with myself there.

They probably just didn't like you. Don't mean that in a bad way, but if you get the push that quickly it's probably not to do with your work.

There's also no point in being rude to a potential employer, ever. You never know when they'll need something written at incredibly short notice, and think "hmm, who can we call right now who wasn't bad, but wasn't a twat to us?"

Agreed. I wasn't rude. I said it quite politely, for my own amusement, and they were none the wiser. In fact, I was a great deal more polite than they'd been on the phone yesterday.

And they explicitly stated that the work was the problem. It matched with their constant inability to tell me what they actually wanted from me. All they'd do was give me buzzwords like "creativity" and "new angles", and seemed to think I'd be able to fix all the writing on their website just from that. I absolutely see your point, but that's definitely not what it was. I got along with everyone there really well the few times I'd been in, and their tone only changed when they'd looked at the writing I'd done.

What's web design like these days? It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to get some extra education in, and I'll be fucked if I know what's a good direction to go in.

Just to update, I have abandoned accepting a really crap job doing something I don't want to do for shit money, and decided to take the necessary steps to sort out my life and get the career I'd actually like. To that end, I've enrolled in a Teaching English as a Foreign Language course 22nd-24th October, with a view to being qualified, sourcing a job and flat and moving to Tokyo in March ahead of the start of their school year in April. There's nothing for me here any more.

What's web design like these days? It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to get some extra education in, and I'll be fucked if I know what's a good direction to go in.

It sounds like a good racket to get into. My mate who does web design has just moved jobs and concedes his new salary "starts with a 5". He's not even 25.

I'm going to start learning German, Spanish and French as I've seen a lot of translation work in adult that I like the look of but can't take because I'm your typical monoglot Englishman. Pays a lot better than the stuff I do now, as well.

My Council is advertising for a lollypop man. 12 to 13K a year for ten hours a week with school holidays off.

Am I missing something? It's a wee bit of a hike for me, in a shitty area and would fuck up my college course a bit but, still, it's a liveable wage for doing practically fuck all. Seems mental given that Council is cutting back on pretty much everything else.

My Council is advertising for a lollypop man. 12 to 13K a year for ten hours a week with school holidays off.

Am I missing something? It's a wee bit of a hike for me, in a shitty area and would fuck up my college course a bit but, still, it's a liveable wage for doing practically fuck all. Seems mental given that Council is cutting back on pretty much everything else.

You could probably up that money without having to do the job by getting a female to sue them for sexual discrimination.