The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
That's great to hear/read that post above Matrix. Good on you. And Chest, it's never too late. I often feel and have moments feeling of regret that I wasted a massive chunk of my life aimlessly going nowhere, knowing I wasn't where I needed to be and that I was underestimating myself, not living up to my full potential. I finally took the plunge one day and completely changed my career. There's been struggles and still is plenty but its one of the best decisions I ever made. And although I sometimes feel there's many years I've wasted I only feel like that for a moment because really those years made me better in the long run, molded who I am now and made me appreciate things more, work harder at what I do and just all round better for it. There's still many things I want to do and know I need to take action on. Don't dwell on it for too long and live in regret or 'what could of happened ifs'. It's all about taking action.

I feel you. If I knew of something else that I actually want to do for a living that would be sound advice. Facing an uphill struggle getting into something else I don't give a shit about just because it will be temporarily interesting and different just seems silly though.

Feels kinda like that bit in Seinfeld where George is sitting at Jerry's after he loses his job and keeps suggesting ridiculous ideas for what jobs he could do.

it is very, very difficult to find that perfect job that will fulfill your financial and happiness needs. One way to think about it is look at the aspects of work that you enjoy, and where you can apply them. I worked as a houeing officer for years. The parts I acutaully enjoyed of a fairly crap job was helping people acheive a way out of ruts they were in and move on. When this came to an end, I was stuck at what I wanted to do from then on, and just took housing jobs in the interim. This gave me chance to see where I wanted to go for the next few years.

My personal advisor was (is) a cracking bloke. Helped with getting my mind back on track after a crappy years, and gave me the help and knowledge to get a job after 21 years on not really having to look for one. When I saw PA jobs being advertised, I decided that was what I wanted to do, bringing along the hekping people part of the job I used to enjoy. Very happy here now, and am actually working in the office I signed on at, and with my old PA.

If money is not a big issue, then you will find more freedom going for the stuff that you will enjoy. Best thing you can do is start looking and applying. worse thing that can happen is that you will get offered another job.

• Moderators

Cheers for the responses guys. Not ignoring them, but I need to do some thinking, and I needed a bit of distance from the shitty day I was having to mentally approach the situation in an unclouded, unbiased frame of mind.

Moment of panic over, the way forward is more clear. I'd like to make a decent go of my hobby (music making). At the moment, I only really do it to entertain myself.. I have no illusions or aspirations that this could be a profitable business but I'd be a lot happier if I could put together some real finished products instead of just ideas, and share them with more people. I've had some good feedback from some pretty varied people and places and I'm pretty confidetn I'm on to something; I just want more people who will appreciate my work to hear it.

At the same time, I don't hate my line of work. It can be pretty rewarding at times, and I've got a good skill set built up that affords me a decent amount of flexibility. I think I could find something else a bit more agreeable in not too much time and I won't take a hit on my salary.

The project I'm working on now could be a great stepping stone if it comes off and it will be a bit of a setback to leave - the reason I came here is because I thought it could be a good challenge.. but that said it's a fair distance to travel for work and may not really be worth the stress and the decrease in free time.

At the moment I'm going to refresh my CV (ugh) and start having a look around to see what's out there, but with a view to sticking it out here until June unless something really good comes up.

Thanks again - your responses did help.

Oh shit. I think I hate my career and have wasted my life.

At the very least I hate my current job and have wasted large portions of my life.

I've had an inkling this job has sucked for a little while now but it's all becoming clear how irreparably fucked this place is and that this project is just not going to get done.

To date, I keep having these occasional alright days where it seems like things could be fine but they're just a horrible mirage something like Khemical and his stupid Batman quote.

Need to decide whether to stick it out until June (current contract end date, but they've already spoken to me about extending) or jack it in now.. I'll start having a look what's out there; can't hurt.

It's a tough one Chest. The grass is not always greener on the other side, and in this climate it's a good thing just to have a job. I think all workplaces are fucked to some degree - the number of good managers I've ever met can be counted on one hand, so most of the time on most projects it's people who are good at their jobs getting things done in spite of the idiots in charge.

On the other hand, the best time to find work is whilst you're in work, so there's no harm in looking. I jumped from my long-term employer EA to another company last year to what I thought was a dream job, and even though it's been a nightmare, there's still value in it, and the extra money always helps.

• Moderators

I know people generally say the "in this climate.." line, but I really haven't found things to be that tough going in my field. There seems to be work out there (one of the advantages of doing something boring but reasonably skilled ..?)

I took this job because I thought it would be a interesting challenge, despite the fact that it is at half the salary of my previous job and certainly less than I think I could get elsewhere... So if it's just going to be a ballache I may as well be getting paid a decent wage, right? That's why I think it deserves serious consideration.

Like you said anyway, can't hurt to look! The market may well have changed since I last looked.. So that's the first step before anything.

• Paid Members

I'm done with my job. It's shit, the pay is shit, the hours are shit, the management are shit and the company is going to shit.

I said I was done with the place a couple of weeks ago (I forget why now), and again last week, but they keep telling me that great changes are coming that will benefit me and like a cunt I keep giving them another chance.

Today I got assigned my BDM and an email from my boss said that he thought it was "only polite that I ring and introduce myself". The BDM was copied in on the email though, so straight away I got a reply saying, "Hi. I don't think you appreciate that I'm self employed. Please only send through quality leads where the sale is guaranteed".

So you want me to do your fucking job for you, where all you have to do is turn up and collect the cash? Fuck you.

• Paid Members

The regional subtitler co-ordinator just came over to speak to me. I applied for a full-time live subtitling role here (my current job is a mish mash of subtitling, media management, admin etc) which is more money. She wants to chat to me about me and get me to do some test later today...

Good for you, Chest.

The regional subtitler co-ordinator just came over to speak to me. I applied for a full-time live subtitling role here (my current job is a mish mash of subtitling, media management, admin etc) which is more money. She wants to chat to me about me and get me to do some test later today...

Good for you, Chest.

Quacking mate, hope you get it done.

• Paid Members

OK, so it turns out I'm doing the test next week, she just wanted to talk about it today. It seems a lock as long as I don't fuck up this one hour English language test I have to do. Seems it's stuff like, "Which one is correct: weird or wierd" and giving big blocks of TV news scripts with all different spelling and grammar mistakes to note. She reckons it's the right progression for me, given my current role, and after eighteen months or so I could very well be on

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So, I'm probably not going to be getting the full time live subtitling job. I left early the other night and for the first time in seven months it actually made a difference, and there was an issue. I have been given a formal written warning letter that will lie on my file for the next 12 months. It's my own fault, of course, but I am still pissed off. I actually had the final interview for it today and it went really, really well but once HR pass that letter onto the Regional co-ordinator, who decides if I get the job or not, I'm done. I bet this is how Triple H felt when he got buried for a year after the curtain call when he was supposed to win the KOTR :(

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
So, I'm probably not going to be getting the full time live subtitling job. I left early the other night and for the first time in seven months it actually made a difference, and there was an issue. I have been given a formal written warning letter that will lie on my file for the next 12 months. It's my own fault, of course, but I am still pissed off. I actually had the final interview for it today and it went really, really well but once HR pass that letter onto the Regional co-ordinator, who decides if I get the job or not, I'm done. I bet this is how Triple H felt when he got buried for a year after the curtain call when he was supposed to win the KOTR :(

I wouldn't worry too much. They will compare your worth to them in that position more favourably than a warning letter about going home early. Did you fiddle your flexi-time or something, or was it just a "Fuck this. it's hometime" type of thing?

• Paid Members

My shift was 14:30 - 00:00. I forgot about the RTE2 late news bulletin and left at 23:15. Typically, the one time I forgot about a bulletin (I've left early in the past but always after making sure there are no more live programs scheduled) and there happened to be a big issue with it. RTE called, I wasn't here, although there actually would have been nothing I could have done about it since it was being subtitled from our office in Manchester. They complained to the Head of Operations and it all came out :( I do sort of think, hey, maybe they will still offer me that position. Hopefully, anyway.