The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
I know its not mandatory but I get the feeling if I didn't use it I would be sanctioned not worth the risk to me. I didnt realise it had so many bugs Ive got my CV on there it cant be hacked can it ?

Its shit that you feel that way but you are far from alone within that.

My account exists on UJ soley because I was told flat out that it was mandatory, as was granting them access to my account. As I'd largely lost the will to live by this point, I just did it without question and only found out later that it wasn't mandatory.

My advisor was quite the lying bastard on a number of occassions. I still have a shitty email in my drafts folder, asking him if he'd like to apologise.

When the site first launched, its data centers were listed in the USA, I don't know if that still applies with it though.

Unless it's changed recently, it's still all controlled by Monster.com, who are most definatelty not using the data as a massive source of market research.

Edited by bAzTNM#1 Fan

• Paid Members
I've been on JSA for over 12 months and am on the work programme. I've had a few issues with the UJM some of the jobs links don't work and I've had a few which have been for driving jobs but when I went to the interview it was for cold calling work. When Ive brought this up with my advisor they said there is nothing they can do. Ingeus works website which is like UJM is even shitter as its the same jobs as the UJM ones.

Also I haven't really had any help from Ingeus but having a bit luck on the job front but my adviser is taking all the credit and if I get in to work she gets some kind of incentive she has done fuck all. I could seriously do her it doesn't seem too hard and speaking with other people on the programme alls the advisor's seem to do is copy and paste CV's and covering letters, So even if you did get a interview if four people from the same office apply the CV's and letters will look the same down to even the fonts.

The main issues I've faced with clients about UJ is that there is limited jobs and those get recycled on a weekly basis. Usually they're listed and then re-list the same thing under company confidential with a different date and if you're lucky a Reference code to make it look a bit better. However, the re-posts are usually worded the same and are easy to spot.

A lot of jobs are scams even though they say they are doing their best to keep them to a minimum. The site isn't safe and should never have been launched in its current state. Its a massive joke.

Thankfully the site isn't mandatory yet but if they succeed with their plans to make it that way, it will cause me and my clients no end of trouble.

You should go to the papers.

• Paid Members

I doubt that it will become mandatory, as we would have to give the clients access to do the jobsearches at the office, and having only 2 pcs that are public use it would be impossible.

UJM is indeed a Monster based system. I theory it could be usefull, but the postcode search is way out and there are never any apply by dates on the jobs. I encourage use of it, but am more than happy when the client brings in other stuff they have gone for from other sources.

• Paid Members

I have a question: Do advisors get in trouble if they don't sanction x amount of people or whatever? Just, I've never really understood why a JSA advisor would really care if the client is actually really searching that hard for a job or if they are just telling lies.

I doubt that it will become mandatory, as we would have to give the clients access to do the jobsearches at the office, and having only 2 pcs that are public use it would be impossible.

UJM is indeed a Monster based system. I theory it could be usefull, but the postcode search is way out and there are never any apply by dates on the jobs. I encourage use of it, but am more than happy when the client brings in other stuff they have gone for from other sources.

The DWP don't care, they have already lied to thousands by saying it is mandatory for benefit claimants to sign up and use the site. Managers and line managers are trying to convince the front line workers to push it as truth and the DWP want it to be mandatory but know it will never pass regulations in its current state.

I have a question: Do advisors get in trouble if they don't sanction x amount of people or whatever? Just, I've never really understood why a JSA advisor would really care if the client is actually really searching that hard for a job or if they are just telling lies.

I've heard further field stories about this happening once upon a time but from the people I have and do work with, this is untrue. Advisors are encouraged to keep a watchful eye on a claimants details and job search activity, hence the implementation of UJ. It was/has been brought in as an easier way to snoop and sanction people under the guise of being the future of job-searching for claimants. (Since most positions advertised generally want to receive a CV/details via e-mail.)

Most advisors know the score and aren't heartless monsters some perceive them to be, they are only human and bare the brunt of all the shit flowing down on to them from management. However, one or two are just plain cunts and take joy in having power over people's lives.

• Paid Members

Yes and no. Our caseloads are inspected by managers, and if a person is not complying, we have to explain why we have not referred for DMA (slang for sending the case to the desision makers, who decide ehether or not to impose sanctions.). Say for example if someone is supposed to apply for 3 jobs a week and they have only gone for 1, or if we have put them on a course and they have not attended. As long as we can give good reasons for not dishing out punishments, all is ok. If not, we get a bollocking.

The basic requirement is that a person has to apply for 3 jobs per week, and attend interviews with us either weekly or fortnightly depending on age. Most people can manage that and at most it would take 90 minutes of their lives maximum per week to do. Not really that hard for a majority of people. If there are any issues, learning difficulties, confidence problems etc, I try my very best to find a resource for them to help them through it, an dthe help is out there. If it's that they just can't be arsed, then they I tend to give them a warning that things need to improve before I do anything. Everyone fucks up now and again, and I accept that wholeheartedly, and it's easy to weed out the not arsed from the unfortunate.

• Paid Members
Just, I've never really understood why a JSA advisor would really care if the client is actually really searching that hard for a job or if they are just telling lies.

As hard as it might be for you to fathom other people sometimes give a shit about how well they do their job.

Why you being so mean to me lately? You are going to drive me back to bottle. That's on you!

• Paid Members

The DWP don't care, they have already lied to thousands by saying it is mandatory for benefit claimants to sign up and use the site. Managers and line managers are trying to convince the front line workers to push it as truth and the DWP want it to be mandatory but know it will never pass regulations in its current state.

I've heard further field stories about this happening once upon a time but from the people I have and do work with, this is untrue. Advisors are encouraged to keep a watchful eye on a claimants details and job search activity, hence the implementation of UJ. It was/has been brought in as an easier way to snoop and sanction people under the guise of being the future of job-searching for claimants. (Since most positions advertised generally want to receive a CV/details via e-mail.)

Most advisors know the score and aren't heartless monsters some perceive them to be, they are only human and bare the brunt of all the shit flowing down on to them from management. However, one or two are just plain cunts and take joy in having power over people's lives.

While we have been encouraged to get people to use it, I can honestly say from my office anyway, that we have not been pushed to lie to people about it being mandatory. On moral grounds, I personally would not do it even if we were pushed. There has to be a level of trust that people can expect from PA's, and this should not be comprimised.

As for the one or two being just plain cunts, unfortunatly you always get some people in some jobs that use it as a power-thing. It's a shame, as they give us all a bad name.

• Paid Members

It's supposed to be a more intensive system of support for long term jobseekers. When they have been out of work for 12 months, they are referred to one of the work program providers. These providers are supposed to then find out why whatever we have done has not worked, and get people on more courses, retraining etc.

Some providers are better than others. To be honest I have not heard wonderful things about it both from colleagues and people who have been on them.

Just watched them discussing workfare on Question Time. Some Lib Dem woman called Susan Kramer, a baroness of all things, was lecturing about how, if she found herself out of work and down on her luck, she wouldn't hesitate to do the most menial of jobs for the most meagre of wages. Amazing the hypothetical work ethic some people develop when they know there's no chance they'll ever be unfortunate enough to find themselves in that position. Reminds me of those middle-aged blokes who've never seen a day of action in their lives, but think teenagers should be forced to do national service.

• Paid Members

There's a lot of people willing to do the most menial of jobs, and are applying for the most menial of jobs, but are still unemployed because they're competing with so many other people who are willing to do the most menial of jobs.

It's supposed to be a more intensive system of support for long term jobseekers. When they have been out of work for 12 months, they are referred to one of the work program providers. These providers are supposed to then find out why whatever we have done has not worked, and get people on more courses, retraining etc.

Some providers are better than others. To be honest I have not heard wonderful things about it both from colleagues and people who have been on them.

This is all correct but there are also certain categories of people - under 25's and ex-offenders who can be voluntarily or mandated onto the Work Programme.

The providers do for the most part do a good job, but they also do get stuck with the hardcore of people who have been on JSA for literally years with no intention of ever coming off it...

• Moderators
Just, I've never really understood why a JSA advisor would really care if the client is actually really searching that hard for a job or if they are just telling lies.

As hard as it might be for you to fathom other people sometimes give a shit about how well they do their job.

Why you being so mean to me lately? You are going to drive me back to bottle. That's on you!

Tough love?

You wouldn't make me so angry if I didn't care... (or unless you happened to catch me in a bad mood).