WWE Raw 7/5/12 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

I love CM Punk. He is good in the ring and good on the mic which is all I care about. When he is on my TV, I listen. When people say his loss to HHH harmed him I disagree however. It was a very competitive match which could have gone either way is how I found it. The main criticism of that fued however was that whilst Punk thought HHH was some form of tyrant, he really, really wasn't. It was like that episode of The Simpsons where Homer feuds with The Dean...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Shawn Michaels didn't even become a bonafide star, and more importantly a draw, until he was back from a 4 year retirement. And then he had the backstory of being a man with a broken back who's a legend of days gone by. Those comparing CM Punk to HBK are spack attacks.

He was the most searched for guy on google out of any wrestling, boxing or MMA personality and the hottest merchandise seller in the business for ages (not just a one off while a Cena shirt has been out for ages, like Punk or Ryder).

While you make a lot of good points I have to say that is insane. You can't undersell how popular Punk's BITW t-shirt was. There are still loads in the crowd at every event, but at the time pretty much ever guy over 17 had one. I struggled for ages to get one because it kept selling out. Not to mention it is very common t-shirt for guys to actually wear in public without the comfort zone of being around other fans. The only other one I ever see is the occasional John Cena top and to be brutally honest it is always on the type of person who may have a mental disability and its just kinda hard to tell for sure.

• Paid Members

It's all about perception. To give an example, before WrestleMania I put some wrestling on the TV whilst I was round my mum and dad's house. CM Punk came on the screen. My dad piped up with "He's a bit skinny to be in it, isn't he?". My dad doesn't watch wrestling at all, he hates it, but he thought that all the guys in WWE still looked like The Rock or Hulk Hogan. I told my dad that he was called CM Punk and he was the Champion. My dad laughed at both points.My mum then piped up with "I don't like his hair! Imagine that on a pillow! I wouldn't let him sit down anywhere". Houseproud my old mum is. She doesn't want that greasy mess all over her clean settee. She also commented that he didn't look much like a punk and that he actually looked more like a drug addict. I wasn't even going to bother trying to tell her about Straight Edge, I'd have been laughed out of the house.In summary, to normal people like my mum and dad, CM Punk doesn't look anything like a superstar, he looks like a greasy drug user. A skinny one, by my dad's reckoning. In fairness, I couldn't disagree with any of the points they were making. I was pissing myself actually.That was the first time I'd ever witnessed CM Punk being discussed by anyone other than wrestling fans. It was quite telling to hear their first impressions of him. I wondered how much of that opinion was shared by the casual wrestling fans.

It's all about perception. To give an example, before WrestleMania I put some wrestling on the TV whilst I was round my mum and dad's house. CM Punk came on the screen. My dad piped up with "He's a bit skinny to be in it, isn't he?". My dad doesn't watch wrestling at all, he hates it, but he thought that all the guys in WWE still looked like The Rock or Hulk Hogan. I told my dad that he was called CM Punk and he was the Champion. My dad laughed at both points.My mum then piped up with "I don't like his hair! Imagine that on a pillow! I wouldn't let him sit down anywhere". Houseproud my old mum is. She doesn't want that greasy mess all over her clean settee. She also commented that he didn't look much like a punk and that he actually looked more like a drug addict. I wasn't even going to bother trying to tell her about Straight Edge, I'd have been laughed out of the house.In summary, to normal people like my mum and dad, CM Punk doesn't look anything like a superstar, he looks like a greasy drug user. A skinny one, by my dad's reckoning. In fairness, I couldn't disagree with any of the points they were making. I was pissing myself actually.That was the first time I'd ever witnessed CM Punk being discussed by anyone other than wrestling fans. It was quite telling to hear their first impressions of him. I wondered how much of that opinion was shared by the casual wrestling fans.

Sounds about right. I've been a fan for over 20 years and I still can't buy into Punk as a top guy based purely on his look alone. He could be standing right next to me in a rock club and I probably wouldn't even notice. He just has no aura about him whatsoever.

Yeah, I tend to try gauge non-wrestling fan's perceptions of something. Perhaps WWE could get a VP of Common Sense who'd try to find the man on the street's perceptions of someone in short bursts, like in a focus group or something. It might sound mad, but past bookers tend to say that bookers end up in a bubble. If WWE can nail holding people's attention from their first impressions, it could help them. On the other hand, I could be talking tripe as I've just woken up from a night out.Ian is like a deity on here. I've been thinking for a while that Sawyer from Lost was quite smarmy, and he was pitched as a 'heel' at first but ended up loveable rogue and then full on 'face'. For some reason, I see the two as similar characters but Sawyer is more likeable. And Sawyer doesn't say that Hugo called Jack a vanilla midget (though he is pretty vanilla).I think the Punk top would have sold well regardless. In Miami, there were loads of people in Punk and Cena tops. More Punk tops than Rock. Two of my mates have Punk tops and someone who was round the other day said they'd want it as it doesn't scream wrestling.

I just cant stand CM Punk he looks awful, too arrogant on the mic to be a top babyface thinks he's 'mma' just a shit shit wrestler imo and straight edge what a load of crap that is get a beer down your neck nipper.

The outsider's perception of Punk are great points however by the same token the main event and title scene would be made up of the likes of Khali and Albert on the flip side. The likes of Cena, Brock, Henry, etc are of course where it should be but not long ago you could rhyme off a list of lads who looked the part that included Batista, Taker, Triple H, Cena, JBL, Kane, Big Show, etc who all look like they could handle themselves in a fight. Whether they are great or not is open to interpretation but they al gave you credibility at first glance.

Archived