WWE Raw 7/5/12 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

Don't see why Brock can't beat Cena (or Sheamus) and then have a title defense against Cena, who would be due one after his win.

Because he's only signed for about 3 more matches and wasting them on the same person another two times is stupid. But probably not as stupid as paying someone $5 million for 30 dates and thinking its a good idea for him to wrestle Sheamus, as you suggested.
Where did you read he only has 3 more matches?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Don't see why Brock can't beat Cena (or Sheamus) and then have a title defense against Cena, who would be due one after his win.

Because he's only signed for about 3 more matches and wasting them on the same person another two times is stupid. But probably not as stupid as paying someone $5 million for 30 dates and thinking its a good idea for him to wrestle Sheamus, as you suggested.
Ian is just giving an approximation. With the number of dates that Brock is signed for, the number already used up, and the dates needed to build to the actual matches, Brock can realistically only have 3 or 4 matches left (unless signing an extension of some kind of course). Its been widely predicted from the off that Lesnar was going to have a couple of matched with Cena, a match with Triple H and one with The Rock at Mania next year. With maybe one other squeezed in along the way. But I wouldnt hold your breath for the other one squeezed in along the way somewhere.

• Paid Members

I reckon the rating for this will be low. And my guess is that WWE will add this to the ammo of why Cena can't stay off TV too long.

It was a 3.0
Hours of 3.1 and 2.94, I read, which will probably be blamed on Punk main eventing, won't it? Tensai being his opponent and then switching it to a handicap match being at least equally relevant.What stood out as the worst thing on the show to me was Brodus vs Miz, no heat whatsoever, two close up shots of Miz calling spots, and Cameron and Naomi desperately trying to save things with ringside enthusiasm.

• Paid Members

All I know is, Albert vs CM Punk doesn't give anyone a good reason to stay tuned in. I can't see how they expect people to as well. In the last few months we've been spoiled with the Rock, John Cena and Brock Lesnar closing the show. It would be like Raw ending with a Jeff Jarrett vs Scorpio back in the late 90s. Imagine that? Nobody gives a fuck about Albert and they know what happens when you stick CM Punk in a position where he is expected to draw an audience. You need to put your main eventers in the main event.I wonder how Heyman's segment did, considering nobody seemed to know who he was in the arena.EDIT: Heyman did great, which is good I suppose:

In the segment breakdown, Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes lost 378,000 viewers and Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 465,000 more viewers. Kelly Kelly and Layla vs. Maxine and Natalya lost another 207,000 viewers. Sheamus and Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho and Alberto Del Rio at the top of the hour gained 191,000 viewers, which is weak for that timeslot - doing a 2.89 quarter-rating.The Miz vs. Brodus Clay gained 55,000 viewers in what is usually a losing segment. Paul Heyman's return gained 123,000 viewers. CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan and Lord Tensai in the overrun actually lost viewers - 105,000 for a 2.94 rating. It's almost impossible to lose viewers in the overrun because you've got people tuning into the USA Network for their next show.

Surely Brock vs Punk has to happen? I know Punk isn't Cena or Taker, but he's one of the top stars they have who would be properly solidifed more so with a feud with Brock. There is a ready made dynamic in having the guy who prides himself on being a pro-wrestler vs the guy who has come back for the payday from UFC and doesn't care about the company. You then have the Paul Heyman factor, both being "his" guys with Heyman now making appearances for Brock. And when Brock isn't around, Punk can carry the program with his prom-ability.

• Paid Members

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan and Lord Tensai in the overrun actually lost viewers - 105,000 for a 2.94 rating. It's almost impossible to lose viewers in the overrun because you've got people tuning into the USA Network for their next show.

That bit in bold is quite telling, and should be alarming for both Punk and Tensai. Yeah, some of the blame would have to lay at Tensai's door, but there is only so many times "the other guy" can be blamed instead of Punk. Mr 2.9 keeps his batting average at least.

• Paid Members

Surely Brock vs Punk has to happen? I know Punk isn't Cena or Taker, but he's one of the top stars they have who would be properly solidifed more so with a feud with Brock. There is a ready made dynamic in having the guy who prides himself on being a pro-wrestler vs the guy who has come back for the payday from UFC and doesn't care about the company. You then have the Paul Heyman factor, both being "his" guys with Heyman now making appearances for Brock. And when Brock isn't around, Punk can carry the program with his prom-ability.

Brock only has a limited number of dates, and he needs to work with main eventers.

As said earlier in this thread, Tensai is shit and not required at all, Mark Henry, as much as im not that big a fan of his, is the most effective big man they have and would fill that role much better. Tensai is massively out of shape and just doesnt look the part at all. All I notice in his matches are his heavy sucking as he tried to breathe, mainly as the crowd is so dead as a result of him too. His mannerisms are awful too, the slow arms swaying as he tried to look technical and co-ordinated are just awful. Thats what annoys me about WWE and this current character, they have so many good things going for them at the moment that seeing a character with no character at all stinking up a main event feels so much like their dark periods its untrue.

Brock only has a limited number of dates, and he needs to work with main eventers.
Sad thing is Punk is a main eventer but you have guys like Taker, Rock and Trips always hanging around to rely on again and again. It works so it makes business sense but the smart mark internet fan in me sometimes wishes otherwise and so WWE would be forced to go full hog with the younger guys, and not look back. WM27 was the worst case of this.But going back to the topic. I really hope we get at least one interaction between Punk, Brock and Heyman. It seems like a waste not to. Even if it's just to open a Raw that Brock is booked for and he is doing something bigger later on. The other thing that comes to mind is Brock making all these demands which is exactly what Punk was doing last summer.

• Paid Members

Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 465,000 more viewers.

It's understandable. I nearly changed streams because I thought the one I was on had started showing repeats.
I thought i'd accidentally being linked to a thread in Gold for a moment here myself.

Ian is just giving an approximation. With the number of dates that Brock is signed for, the number already used up, and the dates needed to build to the actual matches, Brock can realistically only have 3 or 4 matches left (unless signing an extension of some kind of course). Its been widely predicted from the off that Lesnar was going to have a couple of matched with Cena, a match with Triple H and one with The Rock at Mania next year. With maybe one other squeezed in along the way. But I wouldnt hold your breath for the other one squeezed in along the way somewhere.
Ah. So he pulled the figured out of thin air then? Ok.

Punk wont be viewed in the same light as Tripple H, Undertaker, Cena, Brock and The Rock until he is treated as such by WWE. When The Rock returned he faced Cena (which is fair) but at the same time we had Jericho return to face Punk. That just creates a huge space between Punk and Cena. If they want Punk to draw they need to give him the big matches. A Brock/Punk match would do wonders for WWE's long term numbers. A Lesnar/Punk match in which they are presented as equal would do wonders for Punk. Even in defeat Punk would look good. If they want to go all out Heyman could even cost Punk the win. Hell they could even put the match on free TV so more of the fan base get a chance to see it

• Moderators

If they want Punk to draw they need to give him the big matches. A Brock/Punk match would do wonders for WWE's long term numbers. A Lesnar/Punk match in which they are presented as equal would do wonders for Punk. Even in defeat Punk would look good. If they want to go all out Heyman could even cost Punk the win. Hell they could even put the match on free TV so more of the fan base get a chance to see it

No. Lesnar should be kept for the main event players in his 2 or 3 matches he has left, make dollars. Not made to go 50/50 with a short order cook.

Archived