WWE Raw 7/5/12 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ah. So he pulled the figured out of thin air then? Ok.

Its called assuming how things will go on a discussion forum, you spoon. Just like when you said Team Johnny would be a squad of STRONG HEELS post WrestleMania, to which I lol'd uproariously at because none of them looked strong before or during WrestleMania. They were just a Jabroni squad played for laughs and were so shite Johnny Ace's suit was the biggest star of the team. Where is Team Johnny currently, anyway? This lot can't be accused of going on the Dwayne Johnson diet, because none of them look strong at all.

If they want Punk to draw they need to give him the big matches.

I agree. If only they had given him PPV main event matches with the likes of Triple H and John Cena. Imagine if they'd have done that.
While that is true he has also feuded with Del Rio, Miz, Jericho and now Daniel Bryan. If he only works with people on that level (none of who are draws by any logic,) then Punk will be on that level of competition. While working with Cena and Triple H he seemed like a bigger deal than he does now. If they want to build a true draw it will take a long time of Punk working with the top guys.Its not like I am saying he needs to batter the likes of Lesnar, Stone Cold, The Rock and end Taker's streak. He just needs to be put into that environment long enough for it to seem like he belongs there. Suggesting a competitive loss to Brock is a very reasonable idea. So what if it doesn't do a small spike in buys for a B PPV? If it goes towards a future where WWE doesn't rely on the old guard then it is a good idea

There aren't many Cena's or Triple H's around to work with. Punk will not start to draw through one fued with Brock Lesnar. I'm a fan of Punk's and yet I don't believe he'll ever be the top guy.

If they want Punk to draw they need to give him the big matches.

I agree. If only they had given him PPV main event matches with the likes of Triple H and John Cena. Imagine if they'd have done that.
While that is true he has also feuded with Del Rio, Miz, Jericho and now Daniel Bryan. If he only works with people on that level (none of who are draws by any logic,) then Punk will be on that level of competition. While working with Cena and Triple H he seemed like a bigger deal than he does now. If they want to build a true draw it will take a long time of Punk working with the top guys.Its not like I am saying he needs to batter the likes of Lesnar, Stone Cold, The Rock and end Taker's streak. He just needs to be put into that environment long enough for it to seem like he belongs there. Suggesting a competitive loss to Brock is a very reasonable idea. So what if it doesn't do a small spike in buys for a B PPV? If it goes towards a future where WWE doesn't rely on the old guard then it is a good idea
OK, so if you take Del Rio, Miz, Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Triple H and John Cena who else are you suggesting Punk needs to work with other than Brock to make him the top guy? Also, are you saying in your earlier post that Punk should have got Rock and cena got Jericho? What else would you have done other than what WWE did for the run in to Mania?

Fuck sake, every single raw thread goes the same way these days.General discussion for a page. It was shit, it was alright blah blah, rating comes in, cue 5 pages of discussion on why it's cm punks fault vs. It's.all the evil WWEs fault, punk is completely blameless.It's the same people week after week too, with the exact same points and nothing new to add. This whole CM Punk is shit vs CM Punk is just mistreated argument has literally been going round in circles for months now.Fucking hell.

• Paid Members

So stop reading the thread when it turns into that then? I'm sick of people trying to tell people what they can and cant discuss it. You may be exhausted on the topic, but clearly others aren't. So let them talk about it. The discussion board has more people than just you on it, and if people want to discuss Punk, they can. You dont have to force yourself to read it.

• Paid Members

Just thought of something. Wasn't Shawn Michaels famously getting really low ratings during his first title run? If I've remembered that right, does anyone know how the ratings compare to the current ones? Just out of interest, like.

Throughout Cena's tenure as a main event guy he's feuded with (in no real order);

- Rob Van Dam

- The Miz

- The Big Show

- Kevin Federline

- The Great Khali

- Umaga

- Christian

- Chris Jericho

- JBL

- Sheamus, before he even half mattered

- Wade Barrett before anyone knew who he was

- Kane

- The Great Khali (it's worth saying again as it was for 2 months)

The reason why you notice that Punk's occasionally feuded with shit, and isn't given the chance to work with true stars, is because he hasn't shown himself to be a star in his own right. Cena's feuded with shit, Cena's been faced with shit writing yet his delivery and execution elevates the shit rather than him getting dragged into the mire. Since he won the WWE title, and maybe even a little bit before, no one has watched a Cena segment/feud/match and thought 'MAN, THIS IS SMALL TIME'. They might have thought it was dull, or shit, but it never comes across as small time. And, he never comes out of it as less a main eventer. Yes, he's presented as a main eventer, and is given that extra push, but that's only because he has a foundation of acting, looking, sounding, performing like and actually being a bonafide star.

Punk gets dragged into the shit, and into the stink of 'mid card' because he, himself, is covered in that stink.

I'd say Punk has had about the same ratio of stars-to-schlubs to go up against as Cena, too, relative to the time he's been given the ball.

Let's not forget they tried to demote Cena for a bit. His feud with Kane was pushed to the mid-card whilst Punk got to dick about with Vince/Trippers/Nash in the main event. They started shitting viewers and Cena rose to the top to stop the show from ending with more people in the ring than were watching at home. It's a good comparison too, because Punk was working with STARS and Cena was working with a bloke in a suit that looked like it was stitched by my nan, and a welders mask. Who's treaded water for years. And, who's a bit shit.

This is what happens EVERY TIME someone's favourite starts to flounder; 'GIVE HIM EVERYTHING! HAVE HIM BEAT HOGAN IN 3 SECONDS! HAVE HIM MAKE LESNAR CRY! MAKE HIS ENTRANCE HIM WALKING TO THE RING AS HALL OF FAMERS, PAST PRESIDENTS AND THE BEATLES BOW AND LOOK ON IN AWE...

Sometimes its not bad booking. Sometimes people just aren't meant to be stars.

Archived