ECW is sort of back *POTENTIAL SPOILERS!111~*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The Big Show/Mark Henry as champions era was the best ECW.

Would I be right in thinking those shows technically outdrew any 'authentic' ECW show?

I do wonder why we never really see any other wrestling nostalgia shows. Surely there's enough former 90's WWF stars to do an Attitude era show (although I'll need to check the obits...)? Surely there's more interest in a full-on WCW nostalgia show at this point (and I'm not talking about Impact)?

• Paid Members

ECW worked (and as evidenced by the gate of the show this thread was originally about, continues to work) as a nostalgia brand because it had such a special and unique identity the first time around. Conceptually, an Attitude era or WCW revival show would make so much less sense than ECW that it's not really worth WWE's time trying to justify it. The Attitude era and WCW were big, constantly-changing things with none of the tangible identity that ECW had. Or at least, not enough of it.

• Paid Members

ECW's nostalgia acts work because there are a thousand mark fans daft enough to pay to see it, and the people are piss easy to book because Sabu vs Shane Douglas or whatever are cheap and cheerful to put on. Is there anyone who could hire Goldberg, DDP, Flair, The Giant, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Sting, Jericho and that lot on the same show? Of course not. ECW can still be done on the reunion tour circuit because there is a shit load of them without jobs and desperate for work. All WCW's best talent either have work (Hogan, Jericho, Sting, Booker T, Bischoff, Flair) or dont need the money (DDP and Goldberg). You basically cant do a Attitude era or WCW reunion. The talent isnt available and neither is the money.

ECW's reunion shows always draw once as well. XPW, Hardcore Homecoming, this shower shit. The next time they try it, they wont fit 200 people in a building. Its always the same. Happens every few years.

• Paid Members
ECW's nostalgia acts work because there are a thousand mark fans daft enough to pay to see it, and the people are piss easy to book because Sabu vs Shane Douglas or whatever are cheap and cheerful to put on. Is there anyone who could hire Goldberg, DDP, Flair, The Giant, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Sting, Jericho and that lot on the same show? Of course not. ECW can still be done on the reunion tour circuit because there is a shit load of them without jobs and desperate for work. All WCW's best talent either have work (Hogan, Jericho, Sting, Booker T, Bischoff, Flair) or dont need the money (DDP and Goldberg). You basically cant do a Attitude era or WCW reunion. The talent isnt available and neither is the money.

ECW's reunion shows always draw once as well. XPW, Hardcore Homecoming, this shower shit. The next time they try it, they wont fit 200 people in a building. Its always the same. Happens every few years.

They should be touring it like All Star - sure, each visit will burn out the territory for this kind of shite, but they could take that ECW magic around the nation... no, the world. I'd watch that reality show.

• Paid Members
The Big Show/Mark Henry as champions era was the best ECW.

Would I be right in thinking those shows technically outdrew any 'authentic' ECW show?

Well, I'd assume so, but that's like saying that McDonalds outdraws your local chip shop. The quality of the food doesn't matter*, but they have a lot more venues and ads on the telly.

*The food is better most of the time, in this case, and there is no Hack Myers. Although he probably works at McDonalds.

• Paid Members

That's fair too. My point was just that there won't be a core fanbase of nostalgia-hard-on knuckle-draggers climbing over each other to chant "W-C-dub", but I was trying to make it sound more sophisticated than that (in the middle of writing an essay, it's my automatic setting) and ended up rather undeservedly aggrandising my subject matter as a result.

I still think the best thing 'ECW', in all its guises, ever produced was the Indian Summer-esque rejuvenation of Kurt Angle's career before he fucked off. Kurt Angle running around in a hoodie, with a bad ass black ECW gumshield in, headbutting people was bloody ace.

• Paid Members

Just a heads up, this shambles is now up on XWT who fancies a look. The overall feel of the show makes it seem like they've taken Wrestlepalooza '98 and just upgraded it to the present day.Woeful.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

This group ran another show last night. 200 paid to see it. I can't see them running another show.

Source: PWInsider

- Sabu returned to the ring in front of about 200 fans at last night's Extreme Rising event in Queens, New York. Sabu defeated Papadon in the opener.

More newsworthy notes from Extreme Rising:

* The show went along much better than the first Extreme Reunion event.

* Former WWE star Sylvester Turkay was in attendance. He didn't wrestle but filmed scenes for a Zombie vs. Wrestler movie that Shane Douglas also appears in.

* Taya Parker from the Rock of Love reality show was acting as a ring girl.

* Matt Hardy's girlfriend Reby Sky came out and talked about the women who paved the way for her to be here - women like Beulah McGillicutty and Francine. As she left, former TNA star Homicide came out and they had words. She slapped him which led to him laying her out with an Ace Crusher. Matt Hardy came out for the save.

* Shane Douglas cut a long promo and at the end, talked about how he was bringing Lucha Libre back. He introduced Pescadilla, Super Crazy's nephew and Bestia 666, the son of Damian 666. They wrestled and Bestia got the win.

* Matt Hardy worked the main event, defeating Jerry Lynn. They both put each other over on the mic after the match.

* Extreme Rising runs tonight in Philadelphia with Lynn vs. Hardy vs. Homicide in the main event. Other names appearing include Sandman, Sabu, The Gangstas, Balls Mahoney, Blue Meanie and more.

• Paid Members
He introduced Pescadilla, Super Crazy's nephew and Bestia 666, the son of Damian 666

When they get the illegitimate love child of El Puerto Ricano I might give a shit.

200 people, fuck!

That's quite the drop off, isn't it? Didn't they do a very, very good crowd last time (for a US Independent)?

At least the show got a half decent review though this time, the last show was fucking dire (except for Stevie Richards who should still be on TV somewhere and 2 Cold who should always be on TV, on every channel, all day and night).

• Paid Members

200 is piss poor for a show in New York with a decent amount of name guys on the card. The show must have been really, really badly advertised or really, really overpriced, because I don't believe that the market for these sort of shows has completely vanished just yet, especially not in NY.

My girlfriend doesn't even watch wrestling and her first comment was "They look awful; have they just come out of rehab together?". It's difficult to disagree; I know that they earn easy money for having a walking brawl but surely it's the law of diminishing returns both financially and critically. The further away we get from ECW's peak, the harder it's going to be to draw a crowd, particularly if the shows are getting crapper and the wrestlers more ancient. I mean, wasn't it only recently that Justin Credible and Sabu were passed out at the same show?

Archived