NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I've only watched the first 10mins but Rollins seems to be showing a hell of a lot more personality in terms of facials and movement than he did when I saw him in ROH. I liked him in ROH but that may have been down to Gabe's booking and the great AOTF angle I liked as a 16 year old. Still at least with the dyed hair he seems a bit different in look from the cookie-cutter type.

Cheers for the link.

Lord, I thought I was done with Byron Saxton. There is probably a correlation in him getting booted off Redemption and it turning into the greatest TV show ever made.

Anyway, eh it was okay. Plenty of wrestling but not much excitement. The announcer woman is awful too. Its not quite the NXT we're used to, its more a mix of FCW and NXT. I think it'll get good at some stage, its just the squashes are a bit dull establishing people.

thoughts...

Seth Rollins vs Jiro. Im not sure about Rollins, the headbanging was different and I like the look so i'll stick with it, his promo was a bit rubbish though but fair enough its only NXT.

Jinder Mahal vs Jason Jordan was uninspiring, poor Jinder. I want to like him but he's just so...dull.

Leo Kruger vs Aiden English was okay, Kruger looks like a decent ish heel.

Usos vs The Ascension was pretty decent, they could easily just turn up on Smackdown for my money.

Richie Steamboat promo was great, go on lad. He is from Charlotte North Carolina? Interesting. I think he had a good showing against poor Rick Victor who now stands at 0 - 2 on NXT!

Cesaro! His music is amazing!

Bray Wyatt promos are great. More please.

Curtis vs Bateman #435 wasnt bad, wasnt a patch on Kidd vs McGuilicutty last week though! Batemans finisher is weird!

JR needs to retire permanently. He sounds tired and unenthusiastic on this.

Far too many short matches with obvious winners to keep me interested, I'll give it another couple of weeks and see if things change once all the mainstays have debuted.

Edited by KillerTwist

Planning on watching this on Sky at midnight, looking forward to it... I've read The Ascension are in action again, in a match originally taped as part of episode 4?

Just checked the results from eariler in the thread and that match was late in the taping.

JR says on commentary that they saw them a few weeks ago as well

• Paid Members

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Full Sail University kids are involved in the production side? I guess that explains why the audio mixing is occasionally all over the place?

Also, was the very different entrance/exit music for Leo Kruger intentional?

I believe in Bray Wyatt.

Edited by Statto

I am really enjoying this new NXT. Last week's debut was a belter and this wasn't too bad either. Like the look of Steamboat Jr, nice that they showed clips of him as a baby getting brought to the ring by The Dragon. Really liking the Ascension, the stuff they did in FCW from what I saw was good and hopefully with a bit more exposure they can add something to the tag division on the main roster

Leo Kruger looked good, but something wasn't quite right about him. In the opening promo he sounded South African, played up on the Lion/Alpha Male gimmick but during the sit down portion ala NXT of old, he sounded like a regular bloke. His attire is Snuka-esque and works, but he's parading around posing like an Alberto Del Rio type character. They obviously don't know which part of the gimmick to push more, the Alpha Male wildman portion or the Aristocrat portion. Personally they should go with the Alpha Male wildman gimmick as it'd stand out more in todays WWE....he's got the look though and he's decent in the ring from what I've seen of him before and on this show.

The name is good too, it doesn't sound too slapped together like a lot of the names seem to be. Work on the gimmick, hone it a little, get his mannerisms right and he could be a very good mid carder in the near future and possibly even higher.

• Paid Members

Man alive, seven matches in what is effectively 40 minutes of program is at least two too many. I got bored half way through this week and paid no attention whatsoever to the main event.

Still hope this will become properly worthwhile once the characters are established, however.

New NXT episode is here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrtqvb_de...l-show-hq_sport

No Regal this week. The commentary wasn't up to much throughout the show. JR is apathetic throughout. He couldnt have said "Seth Rollins is quite the heavy metal enthusiast" with any less passion in his voice. I've been quite enjoying Seth Rollins in FCW, from what I've seen of him. But he's as generic as fuck on this episode. That entrance and the headbanging celebration makes him look like a right plumb. His promo was a bit dodgy as well.

Regal commentated during the Uso match which was a bit weird. Its seems to me like they are editing the show together using different matches taped on different nights. I could be wrong, I didnt read any of the taping spoiler or anything a few weeks back. JR at one point said "back with Byron Saxon now on commentary" which sounded like it was edited in during post production.

EDIT - Just noticed the comments above about the Ascension/Uso match being taped on show 4. That explains why Regal just randomly popped up.

Edited by bobby dazzler

JR needs to retire permanently. He sounds tired and unenthusiastic on this.

JR is just abit of an idiot really. He was tweeting about NXT the other day saying the likes of The Usos, Jinder Mahal etc peform better in front of smaller crowds and aren't as nervous. I just thought it was a rather daft and obvious thing for the bloke to say.

Just watched the episode but jesus christ the crowd are boring me to tears. Tyler Black looked good and showed some personality. Husky Harris package looked really interesting. Ascension look really different then the tag teams of Kofi Kingston & *Insert generic Midcarder here* and I hope they get called out to the main roster soon. Claudio looked great but I hate his finisher. It needs to be the upper cut. Bateman/Curtis don't interest me in the slightest I was hoping they would be gone off NXT

• Paid Members

Thought it was an OK show. It lacks characters and suffers from most of the guys being the same build, wrestling a similar style and not having enough discernible features.

Thought Rollins looked good. Love The Uso's, they are excellent. Kruger wasn't mad. The promo was better than the match though. Wyatt promo was interesting.

Mahal is rubbish. Richie Steamboat is as boring as hell. Still absolutely no idea why that was the main event or why I should care.

Thought Ross's commentary was OK but agree he lacks enthusiasm.

I think it needs some sort of title give the show focus. There's no sense of what they're fighting for.

I liked the show, but 7 matches on a one hour show is too much. They need to limit it to 3 or 4 matches a week.

It was also a bit weird how J.R. & Byron Saxton called most of the show, but they inserted an Ascension vs Usos match with J.R., Regal & Chris Russo announcing, and J.R. talked about him and Regal seeing Ascension's debut 'several weeks ago' when it was actually the previous week. I think that match may have been originally intended for next week. Very slight production snafu there.

I like the old-school, wrestling-heavy feel of the show though. It's very late 1980s/early 1990s WCW-ish, in a good way. A lot different than any other WWE tv show currently, which is a huge positive. Who wants a 1 hour version of normal WWE when there's already 4/5 hours of higher profile WWE a week normally? It needs to be different to attract my attention. No lame backstage segments clogging up the show. Just one hour of wrestling, albeit this week, very short matches squash match style. I think you need shows like this though, when you're debuting new stars to a new audience. This show airs worldwide, so these FCW guys are getting exposed to millions of viewers for the first time. Squash matches are needed to get their characters over and their finishing moves. I disagree with what others have posted, I thought J.R. did a terrific job getting over the new talent, like Seth Rollins and Richie Steamboat. You don't have to rant and rave like that idiot Cole to get people over. J.R. is fairly softly spoken in this far more relaxed atmosphere (with no Vince screaming in his ear), almost Solie like. I thought Leo Kruger was an interesting character too. And the Bray Wyatt gimmick is tremendous. It's the best new WWE gimmick in a long time, and it's almost a shame it's 'wasted' on NXT and isn't on Raw or Smackdown. This is a main roster gimmick, and Wyatt is a good enough talker and wrestler that he should be on tv each week, with a decent midcard push.

I do agree with something tiger_rick said though, they do need a focus, like an NXT title or something. With the FCW tv show ending and NXT essentially replacing it, I wonder if they will introduce an NXT title at that point? Simply seeing the fresh talent on tv, in a new environment is a huge positive for me at this point though. I didn't get bored at any stage, unlike some Raws and Smackdowns of late.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members
And the Bray Wyatt gimmick is tremendous. It's the best new WWE gimmick in a long time, and it's almost a shame it's 'wasted' on NXT and isn't on Raw or Smackdown. This is a main roster gimmick, and Wyatt is a good enough talker and wrestler that he should be on tv each week, with a decent midcard push.

FWIW, the same promo was aired on Superstars this week, so there's a chance he might start showing up on the main shows as well as NXT sooner rather than later. I very much hope so.

And the Bray Wyatt gimmick is tremendous. It's the best new WWE gimmick in a long time, and it's almost a shame it's 'wasted' on NXT and isn't on Raw or Smackdown. This is a main roster gimmick, and Wyatt is a good enough talker and wrestler that he should be on tv each week, with a decent midcard push.

FWIW, the same promo was aired on Superstars this week, so there's a chance he might start showing up on the main shows as well as NXT sooner rather than later. I very much hope so.

Jeez between Wyatt and Dean Ambrose (any news on him?) there are some great menacing personalities on the rise.

Also I'm loving the Ascension guy's shaky head thing he does.