Best Womens Matches

AJS269

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moolah,, Rockin Robin, Velvet McIntyre and Jumping Bomb Angels vs Sherri, Lelani Kai, Judy Martin, Donna and Dawn Marie - Survivor Series 1987 - Excellent little elimination match, particularly on the part of the JBA. Some fast paced action which was not really seen in the mens division to this extent. I loved some of the JBA offence, particularly the flying knee strikes, suplexes and other great little moves. All in all a really decent little match!

Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano - SummerSlam 1994 - What a great match! Hard hitting action, some high flying offence and a vicious powerbomb to Blayze. One of the few women's matches that really stood out to me and made me notice women's wrestling.

Trish Stratus vs Victoria - Survivor Series 2002 - Never really saw a women's match as intense as this before in the WWE. The use of weapons and the character play between the two was excellent. I think they tried to do this a few years later with Mickie James and didn't succeed with as much fanfare.

I havent really watched many other matches in terms of different promotions (especially not the Japanese feds) but I really loved Haraku (9 Year Old Japanese Girl) vs Kenny Omega - it involved a female and was awesome for what it was!

• Paid Members

First ever Wet And Wild match. Before the summer of 2006 Candice Michelle and Torrie Wilson were looked at as just "eye candy" sideshow attractions, some fans would even go as far as to label their segments "piss" or "wank" breaks. On this night they changed everything. Faced with having to get over a first time ever gimmick match isn't easy, even less so when placed in front of what started out as an indifferent crowd, but they overcame all those odds and single-handedly changed American wrestling fans perceptions of women forever. For five gruelling minutes these women put their bodies on the line for our entertainment, they were at huge risk of getting a cold, it didn't matter to them, they just wanted respect. Look at the standing ovation at the end. They damn well by God earned it! *****

You wouldn't catch these gals wearing a butterfly belt.

• Paid Members

I gave up on knocking one out to Divas matches a few years before that, but I CAME (lol) out of retirement a few times for that match. Its one of those examples where when people say "PG Sux" and "wrestling was better before the PG rating" I go "well ... they might have a point there".

Torrie and Candice knew their role and played it mightly well, I must say. I remember watching I'm a Celebrity USA at my girlfriends house in 2009, and Torrie was on. I thought "there's a woman. She wouldnt make me watch shit reality shows at on a Thursday night, because she doesnt fancy doing anything else".

• Paid Members

The Paddle on a pole rematch was pretty great, too. Love the psychology at the end. Despite Candice winning the match, she's willing to take some stiff paddle shots anyway to prove how tough she is. It really legitimized her, IMO. It's probably the closest our generation's came to another Foley HITC bump.

I'll refrain from banging on about AJW greatness, so in recent times Yoshiko Tamura v Ayumi Kurihara [NEO/NWA Pacific Titles, 31.12.10] is a stand-out match for me, including an insane (shoot) running headbutt from the challenger. Closest thing I've seen to a ***** women's match in a long while. Great.

• Moderators

The Kat takes on Terri Runnels in a classic at Summerslam 2000. The psychology, pacing, and joie de vivre was there for all to see as they put on a ***** match and a MOTYC candidate, single handedly taking women's wrestlng to a peak it'll never hit again. Certainly not these days anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ByduNsg6-8

Archived