Best Womens Matches

AJS269

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Probably a cliched answer that a few might think to bring up, but Meiko Satomura vs Akira Hokuto in GAEA in 2001 that aired on TWC. Intense, gruelling, believable. Made me a fan of Meiko in one match. Got to see her live in August at Korakuen which I never thought I would. Got to see her get pinned, too. :(

And of course, Dangerous Queen worked her arse off to make Satomura look her equal.

I remember watching a WCW PPV from early 97 a few years back (might have been Superbrawl) and absolutely loving a match between Madusa and Akira Hokudo. Was the first woman's match that really drew me in.

There were two in 1997, one at Spring Stampede which was hurried and had a botched finish, and one at Great American Bash which had the "belt vs career" stip. There were a few dicey bits but the storytelling was bang on. It was unthinkable at the time that Maddy would get retired a mere 7 months after the very creation of the WcW Womens title, but to be honest I always thought she looked out of her depth wrestling Hokuto... which was probably the idea. Root for the underdog, etc.

Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano - SummerSlam 1994 - What a great match!

The real tragedy is that this match is pretty widely remembered, but their match on the April 3rd 1995 Raw isn't, which had all the things you loved about the SummerSlam match - hard hitting, big MOVEZ - only MOAR.

And a token mention for the first Gail Kim vs. Awesome Kong match in TNA, which might have been Turning Point in, possibly, 2006?

Turning Point 2007 was their first singles match on PPV although they had wrestled on an Impact. And what a saving grace Kong was for Gail, she basically built a reputation on that feud which opened a door back to the 'E for her, when to be brutally honest the design of the matches had as much to do with the quality as the two talents executing them, (credit to the agent, I believe Scott D'Amore) as I've not really seen anything out of either half as interesting as when they've wrestled each other. Well, other than being slightly in love with Gail.

Some of my personal favourites.

Manami Toyota Vs. Aja Kong - Big Egg Wrestling Universe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXa1ne3nu4o

Ayako Hamada & AKINO vs. Mima Shimoda & Etsuko Mita - ARSION Carnival 99 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOkDH0ZZf4

Thunder Queen Battle JWP Vs AJW - JWP 1993 Part 1 of 8 -

• Paid Members
One of my favorites is Sweet Saraya v Klondyke Kate the Talk Norwich 2002 kick the crap out of each other in a hardcore match every bit as good as the guys. BTW is available on WAW Classics DVD :D

Which highlights why when it's Ricky's turn to do the pots, he does the pots!

No love for the Jacqueline/Gail Kim cage match :(

Clicky

I always mention this match, so you're not alone. It was the match that cemented the launch of the Knockouts division by being bloody good and hard-hitting. IIRC Jackie was actually gone from the company by the time the division was officially launched, which was bad timing. She's aces is Miss Jackie.

If proof were needed that the wrestling biz is still inherently misogynistic, it's that despite the fact that Kong and Kim were the largest ratings draw for Impact for the best part of a year, and cemented the division as the top women's wrestling division in the world, TNA still wouldn't pay them enough to keep them on-board. I really hope Kim got a massive pay-rise on returning from WWE.

I just wish they'd agreed to let Angle wrestle Kong as he suggested. That would have been great.

• Paid Members
the fact that Kong and Kim were the largest ratings draw for Impact for the best part of a year,

Sorry Loki, but they weren't. The 5th segment has been proven time and time again to be the ratings "draw." If anyone else was given the luxury of going on at that time, guaranteed, every week they would have been called "draws" too. It's why some people have claimed the whole division was a "draw," but when they were put on outside that slot, they rarely gained viewers, like when Kim/Kong got to main event an episode of Impact, they lost a load of viewers.

Being a draw shouldn't be dependant on what segment you get put on in. If people wanted to see them they'd tune in, not just when they're at the top of the second hour.

Archived