UKFF Argumental Challenge

A Screen Up

Hey, Is this thing still going? Woulda thought the rest of the guys would have entered something in the last 4 days seeing as how theirs ONE day to go. Wouldn't be surprised if people bitched and moaned if they don't get their entries in time for the second deadline.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Hey, Is this thing still going? Woulda thought the rest of the guys would have entered something in the last 4 days seeing as how theirs ONE day to go. Wouldn't be surprised if people bitched and moaned if they don't get their entries in time for the second deadline.

Fuck off. And stop following me on Twitter as well, you idiot.

Right:-

[bRACKET E]

Gladstone Small - Lefty

Vince should resurrect the WCW name as another brand.

I'm arguing for this or something.

I've got three words for you - Gary Michael Cappetta.

If they can persuade the greatest ring announcer in the history of the sport to come along for the ride, then they absolutely have to do it. Even better, if they can somehow persuade Sting on board, with the promise of a Hall Of Fame spot and maybe a comprehensive DVD package of his old stuff, we would finally get to hear it at least one more time.

"This....iiiiiiiiiis....Sting!"

That's what wrestling is missing - a really good ring announcer. Don't get me wrong, Justin Roberts is alright. But Capetta was better. Look at that, I can even rhyme him with a word that praises him. That's just how good the guy was.

Just think, if WWE brought back WCW we would get to hear him announce the names of a completely new generation of wrestlers. I mean, like when WWE brought back ECW, they would want to stick a bunch of up and comers in there as well as some guys that aren't doing anything right now. I reckon he would give Kofi Kingston's name a REALLY good announce. Just listen to it in your head right now, Capetta announcing Kofi Kingston. It sounds great, doesn't it? Dean Ambrose would probably get called up there. That sounds great, too.

Let's face it, when they brought back ECW they were lumbered with having to use washed up and fat useless twats slapping each other with sticks and, even worse, Joey Styles on commentary. They wouldn't have that issue with WCW. They could get Schiavone back. They could get Jim Ross back there! He might even be good again! Kevin Nash on commentary! No-one is going to persuade me that wouldn't be fucking fantastic.

Plus, I never got a proper chance to see how great Kwee Wee was at the end in WCW, and I want to be able to see him properly. Give him a rematch with Jason Jett from WCW Greed and try and redo one of the greatest pay per view opening matches of all time. Get The Cat back as commissioner!

There are so many things they could do with it aside from nostalgia, as well. ECW was at its best near the end when they were experimenting with new guys and seeing how good they were, not when it was a reconvening of shitty hardcore matches. So you could use it for that purpose as well. Also, it's a good way to promote the vast video libraries they've not stuck out on DVD yet. I mentioned Nash - he's never had a DVD before. This would be their chance to do one at last.

Initially I was just writing this to shut several moaning bastards up but now I'm actually keen on this idea. I hope Lefty doesn't post now and let the wind out of my sails by shooting this down. Also because he would beat me.

Fuck yeah I want WCW back.

500 words. Perfect.

• Moderators

If you're lengthy enough, go fuck yourself.

Bracket B:

John Cena should turn heel at this year's

Wrestlemania.

John Cena has been a babyface main eventer since 2005. Seven years. His character has not changed one iota in that time. For comparison Hogan's initial Hulkamania run was 8 years, in an era when you had 2-4 PPVs a year as opposed to 12-14. Therefore Cena's run is like Hogan having an uninterrupted 32 year main event run. Played out doesn't come close. A turn is sorely needed.

Cena, even before the unbearable staleness, has alienated about half the audience. not just smarks either. Casual fans are reluctant to tune in to free TV, never mind buy tickets, merch or PPV. This is because Cena annoys them, as he looks precisely like how a five year old would draw themselves as a grown up wrestler. This isn't 'you can't turn Cena because it'll be like Austin at Wm17". He's already cunted off half the audience due to unwatchability. Fuck off the other half and get everyone wanting him to be kicked hard in the face. it'll be money. more money than gouging bored parents to spend cash on tiny primary coloured shirts.

And why do it at WM? BECAUSE THEN YOU'LL REMEMBER IT. A Raw heel turn would be forgotten in a week. WM events stay in the memory forever. ask Steve Austin.

• Paid Members

WCW featured a superior television product than WWF throughout the 1990s.

[Arguing against]

WWF programming had both peaks and troughs during the 1990’s, much like their rivals in WCW, but I believe there is an argument to be made that WWF was more consistent during the decade. Although WCW was white hot from an in-ring point of view in the very early 1990’s, and from a storyline point of view in the 1996-1998 period, WWF programming was able to retain a good level of in-ring almost all throughout the 1990’s (excluding 1995, but then WCW wasn’t exactly on a high at that year).

In the early 1990’s WWF still had the likes of Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Randy Savage, The Undertaker, Jake Roberts, and Ted Dibiase. This was a strong line up, but it was once these guys (Taker aside) moved on, there was a distinct upturn in the in-ring quality of the main programmes. WWE also moved into live broadcasting at this time with the often unpredictable Monday Night Raw, revolutionising the way we look wrestling television.

As the decade pushed on the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Bulldog, Kevin Nash and Razor Ramon were topping the card. While WCW relied on stars who had made their name in WWF years earlier to draw attention, and in the short term this worked, but it was WWF’s ability to create new stars in this decade that allowed them to maintain consistency.

If anything WCW’s successful overtaking of WWF in the mid 90’s allowed WWF to change direction, reinvigorating their product and becoming more edgy and more interesting than before, which suited the time period in which the shows were being produced, and appealed to a much larger audience, and made wrestling cool again to the mainstream media, in a way WCW were not quite able to do.

In the final part of the 1990’s it’s a no contest from an artistic and creative standpoint. From mankind’s feud with the undertaker, to DX, the innovative Canada vs. America Hart foundation story, to the creation of new characters much more based in reality than colourful gimmicks, and the rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin, the biggest draw in the industry in the decade, WWF were able to outflank WCW artistically, even if not immediately in terms of ratings and revenue.

Of course WCW’s fantastic television product was the catalyst for this change in the WWF output, but even at its worst WWF had positives to take, at times WCW did not, consistency is key over the decade, and WWF wins on that front.

There is one closing argument which I will not even explain, but sums up my point entirely. The WWF had a lot of bad gimmicks over the course of the 1990’s, but at no point did they have the Dungeon of doom headlining a PPV.

[454 words]

Probably a bit rushed, but thought I'd at least get it in!

• Moderators

[bRACKET C]

Ronnie - PowerButchi

The WWE and World Heavyweight championships shouldn't be unified.

While Jon Pall Sigmarsson did indeed once say "There can only be one winner!" he also died of a heart condition, a torn aorta, arguably because he was too big and too strong. WWE's also too big to only have one winner.

You've got two touring parties. One in red, one in blue, and it's not 1987 where the IC title is strong enough to headline a B-Show and the Tag Titles enough to main event a C. Quite frankly I couldn't see WWE drawing more than 7 people with the hot promise of a Colons vs whatever the new face tag team is now Evan Bourne is at home eating fruit and being cool. You need the two big titles. And they're sustainable. You can still run different touring groups, and having a real and somewhat respectable title on the brand is more a draw than having none at all. One champion can't be in two places at one time. Smackdown houses struggle enough as it is, never mind with the champion and focal point not being on the card (The champ would blatantly do the Raw house shows).

Also, WWE can use the two titles to bluff people into think they're having unification matches (even though they're not). Like Race's NWA crown vs Backlund's WWWF trophy or Martel's AWA prize vs Flair's NWA belt you can use a "unification" to pop a house, rating or buyrate and just have it end on a DQ or somesuch thus keeping them apart.

Also, Smackdown's lesser World Championship can be used as a half decent litmus test for the future star power of someone you wish to move over to the Raw brand. Mark Henry never would have got the bite of the cherry if there were only the one top tier title, and that would have robbed us of the best thing going in WWE during god's year two thousand eleven. I don't think Daniel Bryan would be wearing the 15 pounds of gold if there was only room for one atop the pyramid as well.

Look at other sports as well. They have several governing bodies, and differing world titles within the same sport. In the case of Darts for example its led to a true elite echelon of players (Raw/WWE Championship) and another tournament where future stars get a chance to get World championship experience under their belts before going on to take on the elite (Smackdown/World Championship).

So yeah, I've no problems with the titles being split, AJnumbers is a cretin, and I'd come down on the side of keeping them separate for the greater good.

• Paid Members

[bRACKET F]

Chilli Dog - The BarbarIAN

The stable does not fill a place in wrestling anymore.

Stables will always have a place in wrestling. The hottest angle of the last 18 months/2 years was the Nexus angle, which took 8 rookies and placed them as established acts on Raw, as a threat to the main event scene. And people totally bought this group. Wade Barrett was a hot commodity on Raw and PPV for a few months. This band of nobodies made believers out of the fans by main eventing SummerSlam 2010, even though they’d only been on television a few months (and mostly used as fodder for crap jokes on a show nobody watched).

Each boom period has had a group of wrestlers, leading the charge. The Four Horsemen are about to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, because of the impact they had on the business. The Heenan Family lined up to knock Hulk Hogan off his perch in the 80s. AJS269 is a tosser. The New World Order changed WCW’s fortunes in 1996. The Hart Foundation, D-Generation X and countless others over the years have kept us entertained on TV and PPV, because the wrestling fans all connect with a group of friends fighting the common cause. Wrestling has and always will be based around good vs. evil, and stables are a extension of that. Evolution is a huge reason why Batista and Randy Orton were such megastars. They got the rub, being in a Horsemen-esque group.

Would Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart, Triple H, Ric Flair or even the Rock have been as successful during the period when they were leading a stable? Without Hall and Nash, would Hogan have been as cool? Without The Outlaws and X-Pac, where would midcarder and former Greenwich snob have got the credibility as a rebel? Or how about Bret Hart? How would his family values based gimmick have come across if his brother in laws and brother had still be on the opposite end of the fence to him?

A wrestling stable is needed in professional wrestling, because heels need help to overcome good, babyfaces need help to triumph over evil, the fans want to get behind a team and the promotion needs to sell foam fingers and t-shirts. The nWo got back together a million times and has had countless spin offs. The Horsemen were always the backup plan when WCW ran out of ideas. DX were a massive special attraction even as recent as 2010. Stables are apart of the wrestling business. And they aren’t going away anytime soon. Thank God.

Words: 421

• Paid Members
While Jon Pall Sigmarsson did indeed once say "There can only be one winner!" he also died of a heart condition, a torn aorta, arguably because he was too big and too strong.

Haha! I was going to put a "wrestler-death" comment in mine actually but never did because I went way beyond the word limit by accident on the first attempt.

A massive thank you to everybody who got their entries in, there were some superb arguments put forward. Apologies for the delay but now we're down to a more manageable number it should be smooth sailing from here.

The winners of the First Round are as follows:

(Toilet Rapper or Dr No failed to get their entries in so we placed the poster whose effort was the best out of the pile that didn't make it through, that being Dearly Devoted Dexter in the winning place of their fixture.)

Advancing to the Second Round

Archived