UKFF Argumental Challenge

A Screen Up

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shameless bump to remind you that if you haven't got your argument in yet then it needs to be done so by 6:00pm tomorrow evening.

Yet to enter:

ItsClobberingTime

PowerButchi

Fox Piss

Chris Brooker

AJS269

Toilet Rapper

CleetusVanDamme

The BarbarIAN

Gladstone Small

Lefty

mim731

CracktonMoj

DrNo

SpiritOfTheForest

scott 2k16

Supremo

Ronnie

Some of the best and most creative posters on this forum have yet to get their efforts in, so let's get 'em in and sort the men from the boys.

I will refrain from jumping to conclusions about how many people will enter in the first round as there is still another day left to do so.

If not all of the 32 posters enter, we have decided to pick the posters who put forward the best 16 arguments and enter them into the second round.

The show will go on.

I'm the worst person in the world for banging my entries in right before the final cut-off in situations like this so I can hardly moan at anybody else.

In all honesty I'm surprised that almost half the posters have entered already. I thought that 90% would wait until the closing hours.

Whilst I'm here - We still need scenarios for future rounds so if anybody has any ideas then get them sent in. There are a few situations on the list we've got that I wouldn't mind changing.

[bRACKET E]

tom - Chris Brooker

There is no place for managers in wrestling today

I am arguing against this :

Take a wrestler... A brilliant wrestler. There's nothing he can't do in the ring. Put him with any opponent you choose and he'll tear the house down. There's just one piece of the puzzle missing... Put a mic in his hand and he freezes. Because of this there's always going to be some doors that are closed to him.

Team him up with the right manager and all of sudden you're on your way to success. Not just in the short term by having someone to handle the talking while he stands back and soaks up the heat. They're not stood in the spotlight alone any more, they're stood next to a confident presence. A great talker that understands the art of the wrestling promo but was never going to set the world alight as a wrestler themselves. Confidence breeds confidence and, with a few verbal lobs to set them on the right path, it could stop a promising talent from looking like a deer in headlights. As soon as the fear of speaking in public is gone that's half the battle won. Nobody thinks twice about putting a rookie in with a ring general to learn that side of the business. When did everyone forget they could do that outside the ring too?

At the top of the business, in the world of WWE, new talents are given the briefest of opportunities to prove their mettle in the short-attention span world of 2012. Now is the time to take the attention away from the somewhat stale on-screen authority figures and hand it over to someone else. One or two good, confident heel managers could work wonders for the careers of the floundering masses in WWE. I'd even go so far as saying that a good manager might be the key to reviving the long-ailing tag team division.

Managers seem to have been phased out in favour of the increasingly stale 'figure of authority'. Their role's the same, to act as an antagonist to the guys and girls that actually do the business. A manager, however, can play their part in making the hero's life hell and getting the villains over without the need for the kind of contorted logic that commissioners, network representatives and the like need.

I reckon a few are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the opponent to go first so you can bang in a rebuttal. Go on Ronnie, be my guest.

You sneaky little...

I was doing the same thing though and held off for a few days to see if Moj posted first so I could jump in with a counter-argument. The only reason I didn't wait until tomorrow is that I would no doubt forget. It's been great reading some of the arguments though.

• Moderators
I did think there should have been an allocated person who has to 'kick off' or else someone can go second and put it in last minute all the way to the final. Do arguments' value increase if they're arguing points you made? The one who went first has no chance to retaliate.

You wouldn't have won anyway.

I did think there should have been an allocated person who has to 'kick off' or else someone can go second and put it in last minute all the way to the final. Do arguments' value increase if they're arguing points you made? The one who went first has no chance to retaliate.

It's just a risk you have to take, I'm afraid. If you wait too long and don't get it in on time then you're DQ'd. No second chances in this tourney I'm afraid (obv discounting things like ItsClobberingTime needing an extra couple of days). There are no brownie points given to people who get their entries in right away.

SpiritOfTheForest - AJS269

Bret Hart was greater than Shawn Michaels.

Arguing Against

Members of the UKFF

No one can argue the technical proficiency of Bret Hart, as a wrestlers he is a legend of the business, he could have a good match with anyone. Bret Hart was a machine and craftsman, capable off doing what had been done before better than anyone else, but he wasn't ground breaking, he wasn't capable of making the crowd feel anything without a great opponent

Shawn Michaels on the other hand could have a GREAT match with anyone, Michaels has it all, he has charisma and could be all things to all men. He could be the most sympathetic babyface, or the most dastardly heel, he could put on a technical clinic or a pure sports entertainment showdown.

Shawn Michaels was an innovator and a master story teller, he was an artist. And then we come to Michael's greatest asset, his legacy.

Bret Hart was involved in many great matches, but only a handful of legendary moments, the most famous being his match with the British Bulldog at Summerslam and of course the Montreal Screwjob, but other than that, how many truly great moments were there?

Michaels on the other hand at more great moments at Wrestlemania then Hart had in his career, whether it was retiring Ric Flair, facing the Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25, his iconic ladder match with Razor Ramon, Descending from the roof at Wrestlemania 12, main eventing 3 shows or even his retirement match, Michaels always stole Wrestlemania, so much he is still referred to as Mr Wrestlemania. Even outside Wrestlemania, from the early and mid 90's, or after his comeback in 2002, Shawn Michaels always had one of , if not the best matches on any card he was on, even when he retired, he could have had better matches then most wrestlers have in a lifetime.

The best way to put it is this, Bret Hart was the precursor to ROH, technically proficient, a great athlete , but at the same time, without the storytelling or entertainment value. Michaels was the precursor to the Attitude Era, breaking boundaries, making the impossible possible, making his matches unmissable and captivating crowds before the bell even rings, and what would you rather watch?

In conclusion Bret Hart may have been the Best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, but Shawn Michaels was the Greatest there is, the Greatest there was, and the Greatest there ever will be.

Word count- 435

• Paid Members

Bracket H - Supremo vs. Pepper Plunge

Eulogising tag team wrestling is like eulogising cruiserweight wrestling or moaning about the product being PG. Plebs in ROH shirts harking back to the, "good old days," and talking a load of shit about how the wrestling they grew up with was the best and until the WWE revert back to that style it'll never be successful again. It's total bollocks. Wrestling gets hot when a main event star hits it big. That's it. It's that simple. Nothing else matters. Including tag team wrestling.

It's 2012. Tag team wrestling is dead. It has been for over a decade. The fans don't give a flying fuck about it and neither does Vince. Getting put in a tag team nowadays doesn't give you time to, "develop," or, "get over," it just labels you as a chump for the rest of your career. Whether it's to the public or the guy running the company, once you're in a tag team then you're not worth caring about ever again. In most cases you come in as a tag team, The Highlanders or Deuce & Domino or whatever, arbitrarily win and lose the titles a couple of times, then vanish forever because you're unable to wash the stench of loser off you. Does anyone truly believe that a team like The Usos have any type of future, wherein they become established, get over, then eventually split up and create at least one singles star like The Rockers or The Hart Foundation? As if. They've got La Resistance written all over them. It's simply a different era now and any attempt at changing such perceptions would not only take years and years, but doing so would take focus away from the plethora of much bigger problems the WWE need to solve, like their complete lack of main event stars bar John Cena and Randy Orton. That's the most counterproductive thing about the WWE these days; guys come in and are treated like shit for so long that by the time they want to push them it's too late and they're damaged goods for life. Creating more tag teams won't solve that problem. It'll do the exact opposite, giving guys yet another obstacle to overcome. The ship has long since sailed on tag teams and attempting to get it back would be both nearly impossible and a waste of valuable time.

Plus, everyone romanticising the days of Edge & Christian vs. The Hardys vs. the Dudleys need to get a bit of perspective. Too much fucking perspective, perhaps. If the only way to get fans to care about tag team wrestling is to nearly kill yourselves jumping off high things and smashing yourselves in the heads with chairs, then maybe it's not really worth it in the grand scheme of things? Just look at what a mess The Hardys became. If ending up like those knobheads is what it takes to make tag teams relevant then I'd rather they just abandon the belts entirely.

494 words.

Archived