UKFF Argumental Challenge

A Screen Up

[bRACKET C]

Megan Midas - Dingbat

Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak should be ended. - ARGUING FOR

WWE have a big decision to make. Their most loyal soldier (Shawn Michaels aside) The Undertaker, a record forged over 22 long, and increasingly painful years. To give him the win is to cement the legacy. They can then market "Undertaker 20-0" t-shirts until the end of time, and make ever decreasing returns on merchandise as he passes into memory as everyone inevitably does. But it never ends there (leave the memories along Ric), it becomes an increasing temptation to wheel him out, one more match, one more wrestlemania opponent. Only problem is, two or three years out and suddenly 21-0 isn't as meaningful and it harms his opponent to lose to a man in his late forties who hasn't had a match in a long time. And if he loses? The boon for his opponent is diminished to the point of near worthlessness.

NOW is the time to capitalise on the most prestigious and unique prize in wrestling. Never before has such a streak existed, and never will it exist again. Undertaker's story is written in the fans eyes, 20-0 and retirement. CHANGE that ending. Give us a proper emotional story-driven end to the story that WWE can do so well. Taker isn't a man to need one last win, HOF ring and off into the sunset. Taker's career doesn't need the happy ending goodbye to the man. It needs an end to the character, a final end to the legend of the Undertaker. It was born steeped in character, it should die steeped in character. Bestow the boon to someone deserving who can use it to propel themselves and define their career. Does such a person exist? There is someone who could fill that role. Not going to a popular choice, but the streak should be ended by The Miz. This is a man who WWE has faith in, and whatever we think of him he has worked hard and clawed his way up the ladder. He will be a main event player for years to come, ending the streak will give him an extra dimension to his character, and an accomplishment which nobody else can ever match, or take away from him.

Undertaker's streak HAS to end this year. It's rewards are too valuable to the WWE not to, simply to give a long time vet a send off the fans want and a t-shirt to wheel out every year. This streak has kept him going longer than most of us would agree he ever should have. He has literally sacrificed his body for this business, and there is an argument to be had that yes, he deserves to reach 20-0 and retire with the record intact. I think he deserves better than that. To go out with a win is the easy option, Taker would relish the emotional notes to be gained with a masterfully crafted loss. I think he deserves to lose, and I mean that in a positive way.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bracket B

Ric Flair was greater than Shawn Michaels

Arguing for.

Ric Flair was and still is greater than Shawn Michaels.

Ric Flairs career should be recognized as one of the top three greatest, a list I feel Michaels shouldn't even get on. Flair is the perennial champion, I like my champion to be respected and have class in custom made robes strutting to the ring to Sprach Zarathrustra not wearing chaps, pretending to be Jesus and then covorting aroung the ring like a 2 dollar hooker. He differed from Shawn Michaels in that he respected the business and the people in it. Flair worked hard to get people over Sting, Lex Luger, Orton, to name a few. Shawn Michaels on the other hand made Diesel look like shit at Wrestlemania 11 and this was his mate. I struggled to find a name that Michaels was instrumental in getting over he seems to only lay down for people who don't need it rendering it pointless.

In 92 when Flair decided he wanted to return to WCW he dropped the title to midcarder Bret Hart and did the job to Hennig in a losers leaves town match in the time honoured tradition. When Michaels on the other hand was set to do the job to Hart at Wrestlemania 13 he "lost his smile".

On seeing the poularity of Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 14 and being unable to compete Michaels again retired with an injury. Maybe it was his back on the casket at the Rumble, but in 1975 Flair broke his back in three places in a plane crash and returned to the ring within 6 months. Which story has the elements of greatness?

Shawn Michaels never was a main event player in any other federation than when he was with Vince and everything Michaels has done in the business has been because of Mcmahon, we will never know if he could be a star without Vince or just fade like most. Ric Flair made the jump and created one of the biggest stories bringing the NWA belt to the WWF, Michaels has never even come close to being the instigator in such an incredible storyline. Unlike, Rhodes and Race there was no repackaging needed, Vince could see the greatness.

In closing Ric Flair is one of only two men to hold the NWA and WWF titles when this meant an incredible amount. He is the only double inductee Hall of Famer and true Mr. Hall of Fame. So forget the boytoy theres been so much lameness in parts of his career its been too much to make up for in his final run with WWE. If your are a fan of Michaels doesn't that sanctimonious, holier than thou look on his face make you a bit sick. Do you love this business? Who has contributed more to improve what you love and who has behaved like a cunt at times and now walks around looking down on you like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. Flair is still active and contributing to this day so "To Be the Man you gotta beat the man" vote Woooooo!!

[bRACKET G]

CleetusVanDamme - Bernard Rage

Blood should be allowed on WWE television and the PG rating should be scrapped.

Blood should be allowed on WWE television and the PG rating should be scrapped? That's not a statement I agree with.

Let's take a look at the PG rating piece first. There is a common misconception that PG-Era WWE means WWE for kids. This doesn't sit well with the more mature (I use the term loosely) fans like myself. But it's not actually true. PG-Era WWE programming shouldn't mean WWE for kids. It should mean WWE for everyone, INCLUDING kids. It means writing a show that has something for everyone, and doesn't discriminate because of age.

I am all for this. Should WWE be for everyone? Of course it should. I'm about to be a parent for the first time. My wife and I can't wait to share wrestling with our son. It's a big part of our lives, we love sharing it with each other. I don't like to think it would be something that would wait until my kid goes to bed. There's no reason that all-inclusive programming can't be good. It's getting there now. For the kids, you have things like John Cena taking on guys like Kane. It's larger than life cartoon characters teaching life lessons - good vs. evil, Vader vs. Luke, He-Man vs. Skeletor, Lion-O vs. Mumm-Ra. Then you have storylines that play to the older fan. The more subtle nuances of Daniel Bryan, the social issues laced in to CM Punk's work. This is PG era, and a lot of it is great. A lot of it is dross too, but that's not a PG issue. Take a look at the Attitude era undercard and you'll there was some truly unwatchable crap in there. PG era keeps us away from things like the infamous Katie Vick stuff, for example. So PG WWE just means everyone should be able to watch it. I can't support taking WWE away from anyone. There's plenty of room for other wrestling companies to go this way. No problem there. But the biggest wrestling company in the world should be accessible to everyone. If you don't want PG WWE, you don't want everyone to be able to watch it. Kinda mean, don't ya think?

But then there's the blood. We've been blood free in the WWE for a while now. I've not really noticed, because thanks to those who've hit the high end of the Muta scale, I'm not fussed either way. I'm apathetic towards blood. Something like blood in wrestling shouldn't be something anyone should be apathetic towards. The crimson mask won't raise an eyebrow from the majority of long standing wrestling fans. If you can't use it to make people care, then don't use it. Guys shouldn't be bleeding, risking their health, for people to talk about whether or not someone else bled more another time. So I say no to blood, because I don't think wrestlers should have to do that to amuse me. I think they give enough. Don

Bracket H - Supremo vs. Pepper Plunge

I am arguing against the notion that tag team wrestling should not be revitalised.

Here goes...

"The tag team division is one steeped in history to the point where it had been considered integral to the product. From The Rock 'n' Roll Express to the Midnight Express, the Road Warriors to the Steiner Brothers, the New Age Outlaws to Too Cool, tag teams have varied the output on television and PPV. As of today, we have Air Boom, Primo and Epico and the Usos as dedicated tag teams. Ziggler and Swagger team together frequently but Ziggler is competing for the WWE championship at Royal Rumble and Swagger is competing for the US championship on Raw. Neither have their eyes fixed on the Tag Team championships.

There are so many languishing wrestlers on the roster today that it makes perfect sense to create a dynamic between the tag team partners or, in the case of a team like Head Cheese or Rock 'n' Sock Connection, find an interesting dynamic between the two characters that they can play off of. And considering wrestlers are tasked with teaming with a new wrestler very frequently at the moment in tag team or 6-man tag team main events to build towards the next PPV, it shouldn't be too much of a problem gelling to a sufficient level in-ring.

Whilst some may argue that if one of the wrestlers of the team is injured the other wrestler will be screwed, this has shown not to necessarily be the case. There will be better wrestlers in the team; Bradshaw did a great job of main eventing Smackdown whilst Ron Simmons retired, Jeff Hardy went on to become one of the most popular faces post-Hardy Boyz whilst Matt stayed in the midcard and Bully Ray has shone in TNA whilst Brother Devon is shit. But if a tag team consisting of, for example, Mason Ryder and Tyler Reks, can become established enough and over with the crowd, you'd still likely have at least one half of the team carry their momentum on and become an asset as a singles wrestler or a team that can be carted out when needs be (a la Hardy Boyz) and sell merchandise on their returns. I appreciate that this will not always be the case and that TV time is precious, but most of the undercard (who I propose to form teams) are in nothing matches anyway. Jinder Mahal might find he has a knack in a long-term team. What's the worst that can happen? The team fails and he gets fired? Put him and his partner on Superstars and let them find themselves before going on Raw or Smackdown if needs be.

But WWE need to educate their future prospects and audience that being part of a tag team can be a desirable move. At the moment, being saddled with a tag team partner is likely to be short-term whilst creative figure out something to do with you and nobody, from the fans to the company, cares about the tag team titles; so why should you?"

499 words.

[bRACKET A]

ItsClobberingTime - ThePhenom

The Rock Was Greater Than Steve Austin.

Arguing Against.

When asked the question of who was the greater superstar, Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock, I immediately think of everything Austin has been involved in throughout his great career. Game changing programmes with the likes of Mike Tyson and the evil boss Vince McMahon, a match of the year candidate with Kurt Angle (a guy who had not been in the business two years) and his feud with Bret Hart throughout

These have all been top efforts so far, kudos to those who have got theirs in already. I'm not at my laptop yet but as soon as I am I'll post the link to the site I made so it's a little more in order and you can see each poster's argument next to their opponent's effort.

• Paid Members

Chris B - spotlightmagnet1

There should be another distinctive brand split between Raw and Smackdown.

On Raw, there are 26 wrestlers, 6 female wrestlers and six non-wrestling characters.

Meanwhile, on SmackDown are 25 wrestlers, 8 female wrestlers and 3 onscreen characters.

That's too many people for just one show or just one roster.

I suppose the question of

Reading some of these makes me think that we've got a fair few people who could probably write interesting articles each week. I've just started on Kronenbourg to get me through another Raw I've chosen to stay up for, but I had the vision of a website with some guys from here giving wrestling opinion each week. I'm reading an article on Football365 (Fewer Laws Would Mean Much More Fun - http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/...ch-More-Fun...) and I think similar articles each week could be great. I've tried some sites to read wrestling articles and they've been a bit shit really. I tried NoDQ and they were gash. Even the ones posted by people who aren't Meltzer or Alvarez on F4Wrestling.com aren't that great, though the newsletters are a good insight into the industry. UKFF could do better, right? Ian's articles on the top 50 wrestlers are great and he casually slips in genuinely laugh out loud jokes.

I'm rambling and it's a vision that's not completely formed, but maybe someone else can chip in and say whether they see anything in it.

^ Without derailing this thread too much, PepperPlunge, I'm sure that we're not the only people who have considered this concept before. You are correct in saying that there are some superb posters and writers on here. However, there are many factors you would need to consider before setting up such a news site and some would argue that all the news can be found on here anyway so what would be the need in upsetting the rhythm?

That isn't to say that it couldn't work. I'm going to finally (*touches wood) get myself a degree in journalism this September so this sort of thing would be something I would consider whilst I studied. For various reasons I have said to myself that I will refuse to write about professional wrestling after I graduate so I'd be all for doing it in the mean time.

You can start a website for pennies these days (speaking of which, the site I'm sorting out at the moment for this thread is taking me forever!) and if you allocated various aspects of wrestling to posters then it could work a treat.

On a thread such as this that bashes Power Slam and FSM's views on so many things, it would be nice for us to put our money where our mouths are and give it ago ourselves.

You could have the following pages:

Latest news headlines

Raw review

Smackdown review

TNA reviews

PPV reviews

ROH reviews

BritWrest reviews

Feature articles

Remember when (a weekly retrospect article)

TV ratings

Links to the best YouTube videos of the week

Interviews (if possible)

MMA Discussion

There are obviously more but these could be the core pages. If a poster was assigned to each one and it was overseen by an 'editor' then there would be no reason why it couldn't work.

• Awards Moderator
Just a quick bump to say that I've sorted the site out now.

Don't be expecting a Google-level masterpiece with this, it's merely a quick one just to try and keep the matches slightly more in order.

Here is the link.

Just had a look. The entry you posted for Bracket F was mine, not Fox Piss'.

Just a quick bump to say that I've sorted the site out now.

Don't be expecting a Google-level masterpiece with this, it's merely a quick one just to try and keep the matches slightly more in order.

Here is the link.

Just had a look. The entry you posted for Bracket F was mine, not Fox Piss'.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived