UKFF Argumental Challenge

A Screen Up

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
(H) - Choose a storyline or angle; argue why it is the best ever.

SpiritOfTheForest vs. Supremo

WrestleMania-Hart-Austin.jpg

Some storylines encompass great segments, excellent promos, believable characters or dramatic moments. Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin not only has all of these qualities combined, but has the very best of each quality. Without question, Austin vs. Bret is the greatest story ever told in professional wrestling. Two of the best of all time, both entering their absolute peak as performers in and out of the ring, perfectly cast in expertly opposing roles, giving some of the most awesome, passionate performances ever.

I think that's what truly sets Austin vs. Bret apart from anything else; believability. You watch it now and it's mind blowing how passionate they both are. Today's wrestlers have campy hatred that nobody believes, but these two guys were the characters they portrayed and they wanted to fucking kill each other. When Bret's throwing a fit after being screwed in the Rumble, or when a handcuffed Austin is giving everyone the middle finger at Canadian Stampede, this was a feud where the concept was already tremendous, but then the execution was even better.

Fifteen years have passed but I can still recall every pivotal moment of the feud because almost every moment stands up against anything in the sport's history. Austin's awesome promos leading up to Bret's return, Austin's face when Bret's music hits at the Rumble, Austin's blood-soaked face at Mania, the double turn, the formation of The Hart Foundation, Bret's career-best promos bashing the United States, the fight in the ambulance, Canadian Stampede, the list goes on and on.

The double turn itself is a thing of beauty, as is the booking throughout. Storylines of today are booked week to week, rarely make any sense and often feature turns and swerves just for the sake of it. Not here. Everything makes perfect sense and evolves logically, written by people simply of a higher class. That cage match between Bret and Sid, where Austin is actually helping Bret, in order to make their Wrestlemania match a WWF Title match? Very clever indeed.

And what did this storyline provide us in the long term? Arguably the greatest match of all time (Wrestlemania 13), the greatest episode of television of all time (Street Fight, April 1997), the greatest pay per view of all time (Canadian Stampede) and, in many ways, it built Stone Cold Steve Austin into what he would eventually become, the biggest star in the history of the business, in turn creating the boom period and suddenly making me the coolest guy in my class. Thanks, lads.

In fact, just stop reading now. Go to YouTube and watch the street fight from that April 97 episode of RAW like I just have. Watch Stone Cold as he's waiting for Bret's entrance, his head buried into the top turnbuckle like a maniac waiting to strike. You've probably seen the clip loads of times, as have I, but I'd forgotten where it came from and in context it's glorious. Bret vs. Austin is the fucking Shakespeare of this industry.

500 Words.

(D) Choose a wrestling DVD/video; argue why it was the best ever.

spotlightmagnet1 vs. Dearly Devoted Dexter

My task to find the best wrestling related video/DVD immediately sprung one DVD to mind. Not only is it arguably the best wrestling related DVD on the market, it is a touching story that shows the true consequences of high lives and fast times. This DVD is called Heroes of World Class; the Story of the Von Erichs and the Rise and Fall of World Class Championship Wrestling.

What makes this the best DVD for me are several factors. The first of which is the story of the wrestling promotion. Told by everyone from respected booker like Gary Hart to the ring announcer Boyd Pierce, it is clear they still harbour a passion for one of the hottest promotions after nearly 20 years since it closed. The way they talk about the production developments and the Dallas Sportatorium is every bit as heartened as the way they talk about the friends they made and the stories which made the territory a success. This is every bit as passionate as Taz et al in the Rise and Fall of ECW, but more so when considering the time gap.

The second thing is the clips which are used. Most independent films shot away from the Titan Towers usually suffer from a lack of visual examples (such as Forever Hardcore) but the use of the clips to show the characters, the fans and the angles are still of high quality and are used well in the context of the film. Plus in the extras section is a list of matches which show a nice cross section of the talent in the WCCW. Everyone between The Missing Link to the Fabulous Freebirds gets a showing on this DVD.

The story of the WCCW is also a keen selling point. Documenting the take over by Fritz Von Erich in the 70s and the rise of Fritz

(B) - Choose a wrestler; argue why they are the greatest ever.

It might seem like an obvious choice and a bit of a cop-out, but for me, Shawn Michaels is the greatest every wrestler.

Going back to the beginning of his WWF career, he stood out from the crowd. With those brightly coloured outfits and a new style of wrestling that captured the imagination of the fans, both he and Marty Jannetty stole the hearts of many as The Rockers. Though they never achieved tag team glory by winning the belts (we won't mention the SNME mess), they were fantastic and on house shows, they could be relied upon to go out there and put on a solid match every single night and send the crowd home happy.

Once Michaels threw Marty through the Barber Shop Window, his career went from strength to strength. He won IC Titles, he won the WWF title and he had some of the greatest matches in WWF history. He went to an hour-long draw at Wrestlemania with Bret Hart, and whether you do or don't like that match, you have to respect and admire these two for doing that. Michaels showed that he was able to work with all sorts of opponents, even though most of them were bigger than him, and he was able to get great matches from the vast majority of them.

But all of that is before my time. I didn't start watching until the late 90s. I missed all of that, so my opinion is based partially on watching old matches, but also from his "second" career which ran from 2002 onwards.

Shawn Michaels' second career is, to me, perhaps one of the greatest stints in wrestling. During the 8 years or so of this run with the WWE, Michaels stunned the world with his return by showing he could still go, and he ultimately won the world title at the first ever Elimination Chamber.

Over the next few years, Michaels worked with anyone and everyone. Though he never won another major singles title, he proved to the vast majority that he was still right up there as one of the top in-ring performers on the roster. He feuded with Triple H, John Cena, Edge, Kane, Chris Jericho, JBL, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle and many more. And he had great matches with each of them.

He

As there was only nine entries put forward, we have decided to just pick the best four and put them straight into the semi-finals.I'll post the winners and next round info soon.A big thanks to everyone who has managed to keep in this tourney, and commiserations to those who've not made it through.

Archived