The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness to the bloke, he reacted to being dropped with class, much better than Adam Jones.

Plus, if he does appear in the starting line-up, which I don't think he will, you'd have to assume he'll have a point to prove which will light a fire under his arse. Either that or he'll continue moving at a snail's pace and pointing out exactly where he's passing the ball.

• Moderators

Mike Phillips is not being regarded as Wales' third-choice scrum-half for the World Cup, according to Warren Gatland.

The 33-year-old missed out on the original squad but was called up after injury ruled out Rhys Webb.

Asked if Phillips was behind Gareth Davies and Lloyd Williams, head coach Gatland replied: "I don't think so.

"We were happy with our selections but Mike coming back gives us experience and gives us a different type of game if we want to go to that."

Phillips has played 94 times for Wales and five times in Tests for the British and Irish Lions, so is poised to make his 100th international appearance during the tournament.

Gatland said the manner in which the player had handled being left out of the squad had been exemplary.

"I thought the way he conducted himself after being left out was fantastic," said the New Zealander.

"He sent a nice text to Lloyd Williams saying 'you've retired a legend' which I thought that was brilliant.

"He's come back in and we know what a competitor he is, but he's just kept his head down and having his confidence and self-belief in the squad as well - that's something he doesn't lack - it's going to be positive on the other players."

Wales kick-off their Pool A matches against Uruguay in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, on Sunday, 20 September.

Gatland names his team on Friday, but confirmed long-term injury dobuts prop Samson Lee and full-back Liam Williams will play some part but "probably not 80 minutes" against the South American minnows.

After Uruguay, Wales play England in Twickenham on 26 September and Fiji in Cardiff five days later.

"It's about looking after one or two players in the first game and thinking about the following week and the Fiji week as well.

"We want a good performance and to get as many points as we can, though not disrespecting Uruguay in any way.

"It will be their first game and they'll bring everything to the table too." 

Ugh.

Also.

Warren Gatland says the door is not fully closed to Eli Walker after the Ospreys wing withdrew from Wales' World Cup squad with a hamstring injury.

Walker, 23, has been replaced by Gloucester back-row Ross Moriarty.

But because Walker has been released before the tournament's start, he could be recalled as injury cover later.

"He knows the door is not closed fully yet and there may be an opportunity later in the tournament," said Wales head coach Gatland.

The World Cup officially starts on Wednesday, 16 September.

Any players who are replaced because of injury after that date cannot return during the tournament.

Gatland said Walker's problem was assessed as a two to three week injury, so he could be recalled for the latter stages if Wales make it through their pool.

Walker was himself in the squad as cover for the injured Leigh Halfpenny.

"Eli's been very unfortunate in the past few years with the injuries he's picked up," said Gatland.

"He's obviously disappointed, but he understands that we have to put the team first and the process involved."

The New Zealander added that the decision to replace a wing with a back-row forward reflected Moriarty's form in training.

Moriarty made his international debut in the 35-21 defeat at home to Ireland in August and made an impression off the bench in the 23-19 win over Italy.

"Ross was unlucky in the first place to miss out on the squad, he made a huge amount of progress with us from where he started from with a condition point of view," added Gatland.

"He hadn't had a pre-season for the past three years. I just feel he's got a little bit of x-factor and it's a great opportunity to come back into the squad."

IE: Gatland's hoping for an injury (Dom Day).

• Paid Members

Don't worry, Uruguay are a million miles from Japan! Japan have been looking stronger over the past few years now, before the tournament I predicted they'd beat Scotland but I wouldn't have guessed this win. Could be an Argentina 2007 turning point for them here.

• Paid Members

Japan was incredible. Hands over my eyes for the last few minutes followed by mad screaming kind of excitement for them. Ireland was strong as well, bar a 5 minute burst in either half by Canada, good bonus point and the way France-Italy went was just how I wanted it too.

Best of luck to Wales today, with a Welsh friend drinking for the game so appear to be on your side for one day only. Or at least until next Saturday when you face the English as well. May have been born England, but my family has always been Scottish-Irish for sport. Looking like a fantastic World Cup.

That wasn't the prettiest game, but I'll take an 8 try win. Amos had a bit of a stinker, and I'd be quite happy to never see Cuthbert in a Welsh shirt again, but unfortunately one of them will be on the wing going forward.

On the bright side, Davies cemented himself as the first choice scrum half with great style, and Priestland had his best game in years. We could be Liam Williams-less for England though which is a terrifying thought.

• Paid Members

i can't believe i missed the South Africa/Japan game. I was working, but even i wasn't i probably wouldn't have made the effort to tune in as it seemed like a nothing game. I've caught highlights though, incredible.

Archived