The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wales team to beat Australia:

Backs: Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets).

Forwards: Paul James (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Capt) (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), James Hook (Gloucester Rugby).

Great looking team.  That back line could really cause trouble for the Australians if they are used correctly.  Delighted to see Charteris and Lee starting as well.

• Moderators

Tantalising backline, that. Really looking forward to seeing more of Gareth Anscombe in a Welsh jersey. He's got experience of playing Ausssies regularly from Super Rugby and could be a real dark horse.

Everyone stop getting your hopes up. We seem to do far better when we're all miserable, low expectation having Welsh Mard-arses. (Although it is great to see Charteris starting)

Well Israel Folau and Matt Giteau have been declared fit for the Aussies so the excitement has only lasted this long.  I'm absolutely terrified of them.

• Paid Members

I'm just hoping for a game with no injuries. Although with the squad shuffled and North as a centre its looking like we are going to be playing an aggressive game now we've got nothing to lose (apart from more players)

There will be a massive injustice if Sean O'Brien doesn't get a ban after that punch. What an absolute pillock.

A Liam Williams-less back line for Wales could now result in something like Anscombe, Cuthbert, T. Morgan, Roberts, Cuthbert, Biggar, Davies. I don't fancy at least 3 of those against South Africa. Gatland should desperately be looking for someone else in the squad who can play wing to replace Volleyball Cuthbert. What a stain.

4 from 4 and avoiding New Zealand. As long as Sexton can use his legs he'll be fine for what we need him for. Buzzing, we might actually win this thing right now!

That was one of the best performances I've watched from us. The second half was immense. Everyone that came off the bench was superb. We made a few mistakes and a better team will be able to punish those. We could have had 2 more trys in the first half as well if not for clumsy mistakes.

A LOT of injuries today, but seems we have a squad to deal with it. Not that high on Madigan but he was incredible today. Can't remember who threw the punch at the French guy but I'm sure he'll get a ban.

Not good enough I'm afraid. Wales' failure to put away the Southern Hemisphere teams has become a big problem if they hope to become a truly great team. It's all well and good saying that they played with heart, but it won't matter unless they start getting results that matter.

Fuck it, I'm gutted.

• Paid Members

Hello Union fans. I don't really "do" your code. I like League a bit, and can kind of get into it when I have someone to cheer for, and go to the Grand Final most years because it's a great day out and that. But pretty much every time I've tried to watch Union, it hasn't gripped me as much, or really at all. Probably because there's too much kicking it and not enough tries or trying to score tries.

Anyway, I came home today and housemate had Australia v Scotland on, which was just starting. When Scotland scored their first try I thought "Oooh, there's a turn-up, maybe there's an upset on" so I carried on watching it even though housemate left the room at half time. An absolute cracking match emerged which I thoroughly enjoyed, proving to myself once and for all that I'll watch any sport if it's dramatic enough and if I get invested about who wins. Needless to say, I was deflated at the end, but what a match.

I'm shocked none of you that have been watching the tournament have been in the thread yet to say what a great game it was. A case maybe that it's too obvious to say what a brilliant match it was? Oh well, just thought I'd let you know that somebody who doesn't usually give a shit about the sport watched it and thought it was incredible.

Archived