The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

That 8 minutes when Ireland were pressuring to score and not only did Wales stop them from scoring they managed to get it back up the other end to score was fantastic. They just looked so composed during the set plays which was a godsend instead of a lot of panicking during lineouts and even winning scrums instead of it collapsing or getting turned around.

Now I want to see the french play as good as they can and Scotland to do their best to stop it being a high scoring game.

completely missed out on this thread whilst shit was going on. But i was lucky enough to get tickets to the Ireland game and sat in the Under Armor hospitality suite (which was nice), outstanding game of rugby and that passage was draining and exhilirating all at the same time live.

My interest has waned in the game over the past few years, im not really sure i enjoy the direction the game is moving in, but that game was just an epic.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Wales march to victory in the 2015 World Cup begins with Ireland in a warm up on Saturday.

Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Scott Williams (Scarlets, capt), Eli Walker (Ospreys); James Hook (Gloucester Rugby), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro); Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys, vice-capt), Dan Baker (Ospreys).

Replacements: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), James King (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby).

Not too sure on starting Hook, we all know what he brings to the table, and a warm up with not much riding on it other than your place in the squad individually would be the perfect time to see what Gareth Anscombe can do after costing the WRU so much to bring him over here the other year.

Yeah Hook's inclusion is an odd one, recent history shows us he doesn't factor into Gatland's plans so I'm not sure what they're hoping to see here. He could produce his best performance in a red shirt yet and I doubt he'd make the final 31. I'd like to see Anscombe have a good go off the bench, let's see what he can do when he's not playing in a shit Blues team.

I think Baker can push Faletau for a starting spot when he's on form, so this is a good opportunity for him, and it'll be interesting to see if Moriarty can live up to the hype surrounding him.

I'll be at the Stadium for this. Should be a good start to Wales' World Cup winning campaign.

Urgh, that was depressing, but not unexpected. The only player that stood out was Tipuric, and he won't be starting over Warburton. There's no way Hook will be going to the World Cup, and I wouldn't even take Mike Phillips, he's been crap for about 2 years now. Anscombe was decent when he came on mind, it'll be interesting to see how he's viewed when Priestland goes to Bath.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just pop it in here I reckon, it'll hardly be lost in the suffle.

So Eli Walker is the latest to drop out of the Wales squad, which isn't at all surprising because he seems to get injured tying his shoelaces. It does worry me that Cuthbert is almost a certainty to start. I know there are doubts about his defensive abilities, but I'd give Matthew Morgan a go on the wing, he's probably better suited there than he is at outside half.

• Paid Members

My confidence in Wales getting out of the group of death went to near zero after that last warm up game. We're going in with barely any depth in the squad which is gutting (A starting squad with Mike Philips on it!) Moriarty is in now though, could be a great chance for him to shine. Who is everyone picking as the winners going in? I really can't see past New Zealand.

Phillips should be nowhere near the starting line up, possibly just a bench spot against Uruguay for a laugh. Davies is more than capable of replacing Webb, he was probably pushing him for a starting spot this time last year. On form, he's a try scoring machine as well.

Archived