The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Mikey's bitter. Well, he isn't really, because he's not fussed about the Lions, it just makes him sad that the BIG RED SHEEPSHAGGING MACHINE rolls on, and his Gareth Chilcott-loving ways are all for naught.

And will be again at the next 6N.

Good luck to any team who can boast flankers as good as Tipuric and Warburton. If we had one of them, our problems at the breakdown would be over very quickly and the Welsh are fortunate to have them both through at the same time. Not just that, they're both good enough at a young enough age to really dominate through two World Cup cycles.

My concern is that it's just a damning indictment of the quality of NH centres that none of them inspire confidence against Australia, who don't give a fuck about RU. Davies and Roberts are pretty much the only option; 80+ caps between them, steady partnership. O'Driscoll's been in decline, Tuilagi is just a battering ram and Brad Barritt is an utter waste of time. The Lions aren't going to play 36, despite him being easily England's best centre, because he was called up as cover to Davies and Roberts. Plus, you're not going to choose the guy England can't make their mind up over to go in ahead of an 80-cap test pairing.

• Paid Members
It must be gutting for O'Driscoll, so I can understand the Micks being up in arms, but we want to win. If we can only do that by fielding Wales, so be it.

Agreed, we're Lions. If 90% of us were born in Wales, so be it.

That said, I'd have BOD in the XV tomorrow, but if we win, I won't care.

• Paid Members

Gatland 100% vindicated on his selections. Absolutely the right call on every man. How good is Halfpenny? Up there with the best fullbacks in the world, surely. Butch is totally right about him and North. We've seen folklore unfold before our eyes.

I'm sure it's my green, red and white-tinted glasses, but I thought that tap tackle from Parking was invaluable. If he hadn't swung his arm, the match could've turned right there. All three Tigers were putting in the graft round the fringes when we were defending on the line, too, although everyone else was amazing there too. Just a wall of bodies. Incredible.

What else can I say? Probably loads, knowing me, but I won't. I'm gonna buy a Lions shirt first thing on Monday.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

just about to watch the Scotland/South Africa game and they've just reshown the recent BBC interview with Joost van der Westhuizen. I had no idea until i saw it last week but he's been struck down by Motor Neuron Disease and literally has months to live, it's a heartbreaking interview and it's frightening to see such a pysically strong man get struck down and left helpless by his illness.

I'm no big Rugby Union fan these days, but from probably 1994-2000 i was a massive fan and that's when Joost was in his prime, he was one of my sporting heroes at that point.

Joost_van_der_West_2736719b.jpg

Telegraph news piece

So sad.

Incredibly sad. Being a long-term Saffa hater, I always regarded him a bit of a nobhead in his prime, a charge which he readily owns up to. Irrespective, it's horrible to see him ravaged by Motor Neurone.

Any views on the Autumn internationals?

It was a brilliant game and absolutely devastating for Ireland, but ruined once again by the reaction of obnoxious Irish fans who refuse to place any blame for the loss on the actual Irish team. The amount of homophobic hate directed at referee Nigel Owens on Twitter has been disgraceful.

In other international news, Alex Cuthbert is back in training and is a possibility to start for Wales against Australia next week. Him and Roberts being fit would be a massive boost for Wales amongst the seemingly never ending list of injuries.

Archived