Red Dwarf

PSF

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Agree with Mr Showtime, the first 2 series are the best, manily because the Lister/Rimmer dynamic is the main thrust of the show. I agree that the show has dated badly, but the first series still holds up. It was around series 3 that it started to go downhill, and then the 'monster of the week' kicked in and it wasn't the same, I'd go so far as to say it wasn't even the same kind of show. By the time Rob Grant left, it descended into a terrible show.

I hold out little hope for the new series.

• Moderators
Of all programmes I can think of in the whole world, NOTHING has aged as badly to me as Red Dwarf.

We have a winner. While Men Behaving Badly has aged terribly, it's not aged half as bad as Red Dwarf has. I can't sit through 5 minutes of it without cringing and fighting the urge to grab the remote with the thinking that I liked it when I was 11 and there must be a reason why so if I leave it on I'll get to that point.

I never do.

I do love the dwarf and agree it did loose it's edge when the second writer departed from it, didn't stop me watching it though. I'm glad dave are trying to rekindle some of it's charm by doing the whole live audience thing as everyone hated the canned laughter from the last series.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

If you head over to the Dave website there's a 54 second teaser for season 10 I must say that one little teaser looked better than the entire back to earth series. Apparently it's short infront of a live audience, using scenes again and less of that computer generated background even bob is a prop instead of a computer generated graphic basically all the crap which ruined season 9 (back to earth). My only complaint is what the fuck has happened to Kryten's nose.

All being shown on Dave too.

If you head over to the Dave website there's a 54 second teaser for season 10 I must say that one little teaser looked better than the entire back to earth series. Apparently it's short infront of a live audience, using scenes again and less of that computer generated background even bob is a prop instead of a computer generated graphic basically all the crap which ruined season 9 (back to earth). My only complaint is what the fuck has happened to Kryten's nose.

Indeed it does look like classic Dwarf, isn't either Naylor or Grant writing this series?

• Paid Members

Indeed it does look like classic Dwarf, isn't either Naylor or Grant writing this series?

It'll be Naylor. Grant put Dwarf behind him around 1994/5.

Watched that trailer this morning and think it looks really good. They seem to have made an effort to bring back sets and make it look like the classic product.

While I like Season 1 and 2 I have to disagree they are better, they are certainly more "clever" and I think its one of those things where people feel they have to get on the band wagon of liking them more but I quite enjoyed the silliness of seasons 3-6 and even 7/8 have some great moments. Season 6 is really there best work in my opinion

• Paid Members

This is going to be shit.

We all know, deep down, this is going to be shit. Some of us might even post, "Hey! That was pretty good!" in a desperate attempt to convince ourselves that it was pretty good. But we will know that it's not even though we so desperately want it to be because we want so desperately to believe that this isn't just some shoddy cash-in from Dave but a genuine attempt to recapture the glory days of a sitcom that probably wasn't as awesome as we occasionally might still think it was in the first place.

This is going to be shit.

We all know, deep down, this is going to be shit. Some of us might even post, "Hey! That was pretty good!" in a desperate attempt to convince ourselves that it was pretty good. But we will know that it's not even though we so desperately want it to be because we want so desperately to believe that this isn't just some shoddy cash-in from Dave but a genuine attempt to recapture the glory days of a sitcom that probably wasn't as awesome as we occasionally might still think it was in the first place.

Did you go and watch the filming in the end? What was that like if you went?

• Paid Members

I have great memories of watching Red Dwarf as I used to watch it round my Nana and Granddad's, along with Robot Wars and The Simpsons back on BBC 2. That's about it though, the show itself is absolute garbage and any little value it did have has been lost with age. Arnold Rimmer is still a quality character though.

Archived