Red Dwarf

PSF

• Paid Members

Are people really disappointed that no attempt has been made to link the crews current situation to the fucking mess that was series 8? I'm bloody not.Seriously, anything that seems off-kilter / out of synch with previous episodes needs to consult with one of the following deus ex machina :(1) they traded with GELFs for it ; (2) that didn't count, it was a parallel universe ; (3) nanobots ; (4) a wizard did it.1341988440048s.jpg

Also Rimmer has only just decided to take his 10th astro nav exam? he had took 9 at the begining of season 1.

Midlife crisis if you choose to believe the perceived many years HAVE passed? The crew have been incredibly busy fighting monsters and cheating death if you don't?Let's really not get hung up on this of all examples. In Future Echoes (series 1) he's taken the exam ten times "if you count the time I had my spasm." By "Waiting For God" (still series 1) this has increased to eleven and it's actually the engineering exam he keeps taking. Come Justice (series 4), it's reverted back to astro navigation, and he's failed it thirteen times.We are talking about a show which across the first eight series couldn't decide if the accident that killed the crew took place in the 21st, 22nd or 23rd century. Or if there were 169 or 1169 members of crew. Where Lister had his appendix out twice, where Rimmers dad had both committed suicide and then later on passed away peacefully in his sleep. Where Lister remembers playing pool with planets despite the timelime being redundant and never having happened. Where Rimmer had managed to have only slept with Yvonne McGruder but also lose his virginity to Sandra at cadet school. Where their future selves didn't exist to kill them once their present selves were killed, so their present selves carried on living, but they were able to use future President Kennedy to successfully kill present Kennedy. Despite 3 million years of evolution, The Cat still came out as a humanoid. The main character is his own dad.Whatever you look for in Dwarf, don't bother crying over a) continuity or b) realism.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Really?, or do you think pree had control of the medi-bot?

A few points:1) Asides from predicting behaviour and controlling her own actions based on it she genuinely believed herself to be acting in the JMC's best interests. 2) Lister had the idea of how a Dad would act, set up the tapes and Pree took control from there, taking advantage of his drunkenness. 3) The medi-bot thing happened before she was installed; she would've only known about 'Junior' if Lister had told her while making the tapes (while she had a chance to do something about it). If she were truely self-motivated she'd have ignored the revelation, corrected the bogus registration or at least questioned which Lister was resigning I've gone all cross-eyed.

Really?, or do you think pree had control of the medi-bot?

A few points:1) Asides from predicting behaviour and controlling her own actions based on it she genuinely believed herself to be acting in the JMC's best interests. 2) Lister had the idea of how a Dad would act, set up the tapes and Pree took control from there, taking advantage of his drunkenness. 3) The medi-bot thing happened before she was installed; she would've only known about 'Junior' if Lister had told her while making the tapes (while she had a chance to do something about it). If she were truely self-motivated she'd have ignored the revelation, corrected the bogus registration or at least questioned which Lister was resigning I've gone all cross-eyed.
Plus her predictive powers should have known that Dave would have got back on board and responded in such a way, Bit extreme though!Dwarf has been historically interpretive anyway which is what's good about it.Oh and apparently they address series 8 in the last episode, you should at least anticipate the possibility especially considering this episode addressed series seven.

• Paid Members

Managed to keep up with it this week, (totally missed it the week before, had to watch the repeat), and found it in a similar vain as last week. slow to start, but picked up a bit towards the end. I can't help but feel The Cats line about keeping things until you need them, will play into a later episode.Loved the new computer women,( as not only was she fantastic in the look's department), her overall performance was great. The generic robotic style face, added in with a slightly sinister smile before Lister got ejected was great.So it's still better than back to earth but not amazing by older series' standards. (*Speaking of which, after watching it back, i managed to catch "White hole" from series 4. The "No chance you metal bastard" line still cracks me up.)

Well Lister's whole motivation is to find Kochanski and get her back. They set that up in Back To Earth, and its been mentioned once before in this series.

Good episode I thought, again like the last two it started rather slowly and then really picked up. The Copper bit had me laughing out loud.

Enjoyed last night, The cat being confused about how old jesus is was my funniest moment. Him batting around the tubing was only a little thing thing but it made me giggle.

For me Chris barrie's been the best so far. He's had the majority of the best lines and is still as good as he always was

Well a lot of problems can be reconciled and explained in some way or another, and in some cases I think the inconsitences may have been deliberate. Their is even websites dedicated to providing answers to such things. Also certain things people have a problem with I don't lister being his own dad being one. If you have a problem with that you must allso have a problem with john conners dad being his mate from the fruture it's the same kind of thing.

Archived