Red Dwarf

PSF

• Paid Members
This is going to be shit.

Of course. The trailer looks shit, I think. Its all "oh, Lister still likes his curry" and "Cat's still an idiot". Its all nostalgia ridden shite to make you think its not going to be poor. Like they did with Back to Earth. The trailers for that looked awesome.

I hope I'm wrong, of course and will watch it, but this looks like a fat old relic of a disaster. Craig Charles should stick to driving Taxis. His double act with Steve McDonald is far funnier.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
This is going to be shit.

We all know, deep down, this is going to be shit. Some of us might even post, "Hey! That was pretty good!" in a desperate attempt to convince ourselves that it was pretty good. But we will know that it's not even though we so desperately want it to be because we want so desperately to believe that this isn't just some shoddy cash-in from Dave but a genuine attempt to recapture the glory days of a sitcom that probably wasn't as awesome as we occasionally might still think it was in the first place.

Did you go and watch the filming in the end? What was that like if you went?

No, couldn't get babysitters in the end.

Fucking hell, babysitters. Plural. We're the fucking Waltons, aren't we?

• Paid Members

Red Dwarf is like RAW to me. I'll watch it even if it's shit. It's Red Dwarf, I give it a free pass.

Rimmer is still a great character.

Men Behaving Badly is still watchable for me. As long as I ignore the first 3 series. They are pretty pants.

• 2 months later...

Better than I had feared. It wasn't classic Red Dwarf, but then I'm not sure Classic Red Dwarf exists outside of my teenage memories. I chuckled quite a bit and enjoyed seeing those characters again. Job done really.

• Paid Members

It was decent enough. They wisely didn't bother trying to explain away the bollocks of series 7 and 8 - it's twenty years later, they're back on the Dwarf, you can pretend all that crap with Kochanski from another universe, Rimmer leaving to become Ace, risible nanobot resurrections and implausible secret interstellar prison marines was just a horrid, HORRID dream. It's about twenty years later, they're older and fatter and Krytens face has gone funny. Deal with it. Four lads on a ship like the good old days.

Oh, and even though they're back on the Dwarf they don't have Holly somehow. Agonoids ripped him out or something. At least he isn't a sodding watch. Point is, there were some good character gags and it felt Dwarfy enough without too many unnecessary nods to past stuff just for the hell of it, which was one of the worst downfalls of series 8 for me. The luck virus, that was a good idea, right? People loved Duane Dibbley, yeah?

Super-pedantic minor quibbles for show obsessives

I'm not a huge fan of the abbreviations creeping in where previously they have never been used ("sim" for simulant, "astro navs" etc), it was reminiscint of series 7 when Lister started saying "JMC" after ten years of, well, not. But then, decades have passed.

Also, would have been nice to know why Howard, like Rimmer, was still functioning as a hologram 3 million years after his death. But then, we've always walked thin ice with the timelines. In Holoship Nirvana mentions what scientists discovered in the 25th Century, even though there have been 30,000 "25th centuries" since the one they were going for, the one nearest Rimmer & Listers commission i.e. our time.

Talking about being able to teleport to such and such a medi station really shits on the idea that they've explored for most of the rest of the series, that they are travelling aimlessly through deep space without the foggiest idea where they are or what's happening. Again, reasonably explainable I suppose in that they might have been privy to plenty more information about at the very least their sector in the intervening years.

---

It was enjoyable. Not laugh your socks off, but enjoyable, based on characters that I grew up loving. Didn't take itself too seriously and I'd look forward to watching the series again if the rest turns out similar, which I honestly can't say about VII or VIII.

• Paid Members

I gave it another chance on the repeat, and it did improve past the opening scene, so I'll probably give it a few more chances. A bit too reliant on pulling faces and going cross-eyed for my tastes.

• Paid Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_John-Jules#Personal_life

No sword involved, though, bAz! Craig Charles is the one with the crack.

As for the show, well, it wasn't funny but it wasn't as shit as I expected either. At least they've tried to make it like the original. The audience sound like they would have been amused by just about anything, though.

I quite enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised, some things felt a bit forced and I think sometimes they should've left some of the jokes alone.

I'm thinking right at the start with the moose joke. Having Cat say 'Why were they driving?' is okay, but to follow it up with several variations in that next minute wasn't really that good. Plus on one of the trailers they have Lister say 'Remember when we were watching that documentary on breasts and you thought areolas was a spanish goal keeper?' Leave it there, there is nothing gained by Rimmer saying 'Was he Italian?'

But yeah, it's not the classic 6 series' but it was never going to be. Rob Grant is such a genius he made a classic sitcom even with the massive drag factor of Doug Naylor. I thought Rimmer was still great though, having his little meltdown at the start reminded me of some fond memories.

Archived