Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

The thing WWE have a problem with, and this isn't a "anti-PG, lets revive the attitude era" post is that they've got Cena on top consistantly and the fans he brings in are not the same fans that are majorily watching each week, you can go to WWE.com Corporate and it clearly states "74% of the WWE audience is 21 and over" which means they are actively trying to aim a product at 26% of the audience. That really doesn't make sense to me.

They don't need to go away from the PG rating or do anything insane like they did in the late 90's but the programming could focus on the 74% of the people who watch the show and that would encourage friends of the majority of the audience to watch as well. Kids will ALWAYS watch WWE, no matter what rating they put on it, Kids have always watched and came to shows, but the balance isn't right now and hasnt been for a long time.

I dont think WWE care particularly though, they know they are the only show in town, under no threat of going out of business, they don't need to put great tv on each week. They can mumble through the year and peak interest at one or two points of the year and they'll continue to make money.

• Paid Members
If I was WWE, I'd throw a ton of money at Batista and have him come back as the character he was during his last run. He's exactly what WWE miss.

Stuff like this is only a short term answer, its never really worked, WWE have been doing it for years now, Jericho, Batista *insert fav old wrester* etc comeback, they hang around for 6-8months and then do one, and WWE is back to being no better off.

I think it was you or somebody else saying even The Rock has lost some of his spark since he cameback, and its true, whether you have out grown his act or just dont like him anymore that spark has faded for me, WWE never built on it, just like when Bret cameback and they fucked that up too, whatever people think of The Rock they're not many names after him that can come in and add a shit load of extra buys.

I think you're missing my point. WWE are missing a major heel, big time. Say what you want about Batista but he is a legit star, he does get ratings etc. Having a star like Batista return as that big bad heel and giving the rub to the likes of Punk is 'good for business'.

• Paid Members
The thing WWE have a problem with, and this isn't a "anti-PG, lets revive the attitude era" post is that they've got Cena on top consistantly and the fans he brings in are not the same fans that are majorily watching each week, you can go to WWE.com Corporate and it clearly states "74% of the WWE audience is 21 and over" which means they are actively trying to aim a product at 26% of the audience.

No they're not. Making something 'PG' does immediately mean it's aimed at kids, which seems to be the suggestion you're making.

• Paid Members
The thing WWE have a problem with, and this isn't a "anti-PG, lets revive the attitude era" post is that they've got Cena on top consistantly and the fans he brings in are not the same fans that are majorily watching each week, you can go to WWE.com Corporate and it clearly states "74% of the WWE audience is 21 and over" which means they are actively trying to aim a product at 26% of the audience.

No they're not. Making something 'PG' does immediately mean it's aimed at kids, which seems to be the suggestion you're making.

They did though. We all know the PG rating doesn't stop it being good, numerous examples through the years to prove otherwise. The shows the past couple of years have been completely diluted though. I don't want to watch a show where everything is swearing, blood, weapons, etc. I completely agree with their decision to scale back to make things mean more. They've gone completely OTT though. The show has no edge. Add that to the formulaic layout and it's way too samey every week. It's still great every once in a while but not consistently. Which is why I think the ratings are low. It's only the people who tune i every week out of habit supporting it. Everyone else will either dip in and out or find they really aren't missing anything.

During an interview with SLAM! Wrestling, MMA fighter and former WWE & TNA superstar Bobby Lashley says that he would like to return to WWE sometime in the future.

Lashley, who recently captured his first MMA championship, said he's eager to settle up on "unfinished business" and "there's still something's to accomplish in WWE."

"I'm completely open to going back, I would love to come back and do something big if there was an opportunity presented, I would definitely consider it," he said. "While I would do it, if the chance never came my way then I would be completely content in continuing with what I'm doing at the moment and that's continuing wrestling and trying to become the best possible fighter I can be."

The show has no edge. Add that to the formulaic layout and it's way too samey every week.

That complaint was being made before 2008 as well, because all the blood and swearing and whatnot had long since lost its novelty.

If this was last year when Raw was more concerned about the guest host comedy bit than the rest of their main feuds, I would be with Tiger Rick about the formulaic feel of it (hence why TNA had my attention a lot of time despite the ADD booking). But this year has been very good for highly anticipated, unpredictable TV, stretching from the Undertaker videos at the start of the year, to the CM Punk summer stuff with Nash and then the conspiracy Miz/Truth stuff tied in (even if it went nowhere). And I think now that they seem to be working to make people care about a larger section of the card than before, it feels like they are actually building people slowly rather than throwing them out therefor the sake of it.

Not particularly a news item as such but anyway. Taken from PW Torch, these are the average Impact ratings from the past five years:

2007 - 1.05 rating (expanded to two hours late 2007)

2008 - 1.06 rating

2009 - 1.15 rating

2010 - 1.06 rating / 1.11 rating Thursdays

2011 - 1.17 rating

- Recent online reports have suggested that WWE is interested in signing several talents from TNA once their contracts with the company expire. Courtesy of PWTorch, here is a breakdown of the rumored names and if WWE is interested:

* Rob Van Dam - WWE is interested in bringing him back.

* Matt Morgan - WWE was interested in Morgan last year but he chose to stick with TNA.

* Bully Ray - WWE has shown some interest in the former Tag Team Champion. No word yet if they're interested in bringing Ray back with Devon as Team 3D.

* The Pope - Officials were interested early last year when he was being pushed but not so much anymore.

* Samoa Joe - There is no interest from WWE.

* Ink Inc. - There may be some interest in bringing back Shannon Moore down the road but Jesse Neal is viewed as a developmental prospect at best.

* James Storm and Robert Roode - WWE had interest last year in bringing Beer Money in as a tag team but word is that they're not interested in bringing the former TNA Tag Team Champions in as singles wrestlers.