Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
I'm not looking for an argument. It's a debate - what this board was intended for.

I understand the difference between fiction and reality. I have no problem with Eve, as a slutty heel character, getting called a Ho. Or, in real life, a woman who is quite clearly a slag getting called a slag. Hell, I'm usually first in the queue in that instance with my Darren Burridge impression.

What I am stating is that children, who watch the show and WWE heavily promote their product towards these days, may see Cena [a good guy] calling a woman names and think that is okay because he's doing it. Young children, the age of which WWE is promoting the Cena character to, generally, are more likely to have trouble separating reality and fiction.

Personally, I couldn't give a fuck about all that. TV shouldn't have to parent todays kids or promote what's 'morally right'. I hate all that shit.

My point was merely that the message 'Hey kids, don't be a bully....but here's your favourite wrestler and our top guy calling a woman names' is skewed and, in this instance, in my opinion, hypocritical.

If you wanna debate that point, great. I don't want to argue with anyone, but a debate where you go 'You're wrong, and here's why'? Bring it on.

Funnily enough, I'm more than aware what a discussion forum was designed for, but thanks for refreshing my memory for me there.

I see the point you make and I don't agree. Cena's always called people names. Why is it different now? Just because he stuck a slogan on a t-shirt?

I think the point is WWE are saying "if you bully someone in your class for real thats bad, but if you see someone in a movie calling someone else a name, that doesnt really matter cause that's entertainment and not real, Just like WWE"

Being an entertainment product shouldnt mean they cant promote a real life issue to their target audience. In a way, they are the perfect kind of company for such promotion.

I see the point you make and I don't agree. Cena's always called people names. Why is it different now? Just because he stuck a slogan on a t-shirt?

Fair enough. However, yes, in my opinion, it is different now because he's stuck a slogan on a shirt, and I'll explain why.

Again, and this seems to be what is getting confused - I have no problems with people getting called names. PowerButchi is right, wrestling would be shit if people weren't called names. I've already stated that Eve's character got her comeuppance for being a prick tease.

Name calling, the experts inform us, is a form of bullying.

Now, if I were going round saying 'Bullying is wrong. We need to make a stand against this. Come on everyone, join my campaign' [which Cena is doing by wearing the shirt that supports and endorses the BA Star anti-bullying campaign] and then started calling people names, I would, quite rightly, be branded a hypocrite.

Shit, if I made a baseless statement to my friends in the office that so-and-so young lady on the team was riddled with venereal diseases and called her a 'slag', all the while encouraging other people to do the same, I'd be in the Managers office, on a disciplinary and probably fired for bullying.

Again, yes, that's a different situation, it's real life, WWE's just a TV show etc. but all I was saying is that I agree with the comments Foley made about the BA Star campaign being a bunch of balls based upon what WWE has presented on screen recently.

Fair enough, not everyone [hardly anyone, by the looks of things] agrees with that, which is fine.

Do I personally care that the Cena character, or WWE the company, is being hypocritical? No. Couldn't give a shit. Merely pointing out that they are being, that's all.

• Paid Members

If you get offendered because a wrestler calls another wrestler a name, I'd say your watching the wrong show. Nobody seems to understand that Eve was NOT in the slightest bit offended about the insults from Cena. That wasnt the issue. He never insulted her or bullied her. He called her a name, she cried, he showed compassion and she went straight to kiss him, exposing her as the exact thing what Cena called her. The tears were fake. She is so into herself and she is so into her plan to con people into do what she wants them to do, she doesnt feel bullied. Thats the storyline. Eve is gutted she's been caught out, not that she's being called a slapper.

Foley is poking his nose in a storyline, because WWE has zero plans for him in any role that doesnt include him dressing as Santa or hanging around with Santino. He did the same thing with Melina.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

If you get offendered because a wrestler calls another wrestler a name, I'd say your watching the wrong show. Nobody seems to understand that Eve was NOT in the slightest bit offended about the insults from Cena. That wasnt the issue. He never insulted her or bullied her. He called her a name, she cried, he showed compassion and she went straight to kiss him, exposing her as the exact thing what Cena called her. The tears were fake. She is so into herself and she is so into her plan to con people into do what she wants them to do, she doesnt feel bullied. Thats the storyline. Eve is gutted she's been caught out, not that she's being called a slapper.

Couldn't agree more.

However, as you point out, he called her a name.

Sadly, in this 'uber-PC' world that we now live in, that would be, and is, considered bullying.

Not trying to stir things up again by saying that either. On a personal level, all this 'Waaahh, he called me a name. He's bullying me' is fucking bullshit and I hate it.

Vader is returning to the ring in Japan for Real Japan Pro Wrestling, aged 56. He's lost a lot of weight, hasn't he? I'd love to see that match. Massive Vader fan.

• Paid Members

It isnt considered bullying at all! If some bitch was partly responsable for putting your mate was in a wheelchair and then laughed about it the following week, calling her a "Hoeski" is very acceptable. Zack Ryder is supposedly in a crippled state, because of her. She laughed about it and Cena put the bitch straight. People need to look at this in context of the storyline before jumping on the moral bandwaggon. It all connects to the fake wrestling storyline they've penned it. Its acceptable on soaps, dramas, movies and in real life if the storyline demands it. No idiot on earth could think what Cena said to this evil cackling witch (who was laughing about putting his mate in a wheelchair) was bullying.

• Moderators
Vader is returning to the ring in Japan for Real Japan Pro Wrestling, aged 56. He's lost a lot of weight, hasn't he? I'd love to see that match. Massive Vader fan.

jake_lg2.jpg

Vader's son who's in FCW. Leather jacket and cool cool shades = Future of the business.

It isnt considered bullying at all! If some bitch was partly responsable for putting your mate was in a wheelchair and then laughed about it the following week, calling her a "Hoeski" is very acceptable. Zack Ryder is supposedly in a crippled state, because of her. She laughed about it and Cena put the bitch straight. People need to look at this in context of the storyline before jumping on the moral bandwaggon. It all connects to the fake wrestling storyline they've penned it. Its acceptable on soaps, dramas, movies and in real life if the storyline demands it. No idiot on earth could think what Cena said to this evil cackling witch (who was laughing about putting his mate in a wheelchair) was bullying.

I'm not jumping on a moral bandwagon. I couldn't make my personal views any clearer than I have.

In a wrestling context, you're absolutely right. I agree with you.

However, to say calling someone a name is 'not considered bullying at all' is 100% not correct, at least if you're to believe articles like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2952537.stm

Again, different circumstances, real life, WWE's not real, Eve the character didn't care etc etc. Yeah, I get that.

However, if, under any circumstances, kids think it's okay to call someone a name [which, to be fair, it bloody is sometimes. It's fine to punch someone in the face sometimes too, in my opinion] then the moral minority and the do-gooders and the like will get up in arms and say 'Oh, that's wrong. Name calling's wrong. It's bullying'.

I agree with you. Calling the manipulative, heartless, self-absorbed bitch character that Eve is a 'Hoeski' is more than justified.

As wanky as it is, however, calling someone a name in whatever context it's said IS considered a form of bullying nowadays.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

Foley's just being a dick.

The company SHOULD be allowed to get behind anti bullying projects without worrying too much about what their product involves.

I mean they don't exactly encourage someone to throw someone else through a flaming table or off a cage just because you've had a disagreement, but this shit still happens.

Should we worry that kids will bully each other by throwing others into ambulances? No.

Fuck the people who over analyse everything. It's pointless.

It's not hypocritical. WWE is fiction.

No shit? :omg:

So, hang on, there's a product branded heavily towards kids that has a main character who proudly wears a shirt, and promotes a campaign, that says 'Rise Above Hate'.

Said character then goes on worldwide TV and calls a woman [in a storyline] a 'Hoe[ski]' and implies that she has any number of venereal diseases.

Crowd of thousands chant 'Hoeski' and laughs at her when she falls apart.

...and that's NOT hypocritical to the anti-bullying message they seem so overly keen to promote?

What the fuck are you on about? How is John Cena insulting Eve bullying but John Cena insulting The Rock, or The Rock insulting John Cena, isn't? I'm largely being rhetorical there, because I suspect the real answer to why divs are getting up in arms about it is the combination of standard creepy white-knighting and "let's look for spurious excuses to whinge about Evil Vince" but if there's any valid reason why insults in wrestling are fine except where Eve's involved, I'm very interested in hearing it.

Shit, if I made a baseless statement to my friends in the office that so-and-so young lady on the team was riddled with venereal diseases and called her a 'slag', all the while encouraging other people to do the same, I'd be in the Managers office, on a disciplinary and probably fired for bullying.

You wouldn't be that person in the scenario, though, would you? You'd be going round going "Isn't it bad that someone called Sheila a slag just because she sucked off all those blokes? They should learn some respect for women" all the while hoping that she gets too drunk at the Christmas party. The comments about Eve weren't baseless, were they, they were very much based on her actions.

Edited by King Pitcos

You wouldn't be that person in the scenario, though, would you? You'd be going round going "Isn't it bad that someone called Sheila a slag just because she sucked off all those blokes? They should learn some respect for women" all the while hoping that she gets too drunk at the Christmas party. The comments about Eve weren't baseless, were they, they were very much based on her actions.

Clearly you didn't read any of my early posts Pitcos, because if you had you'd realise why that statement in bold is exactly what I wouldn't do.

Still, thank you for adding absolutely nothing at all to the debate and being completely predictable with your 'all that stuff about SBA and women was two years ago, wasn't funny or clever at the time and nobody except you really cares about that shit anymore' stuff.

Anyway, let's move on. Sadly, by all of us contributing to this debate we have completely defeated the point of the thread sub-title by debating a minor news item.