Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Would Kevin Owens not be deemed an option? Not massive, is seen as an aggressive brawler, can talk really well and it would elevate his stature a bit?

People talk about the face turn quite a bit, so I'd be happy enough with him.

Sorry if he's been mentioned and I missed it.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

From an artistic standpoint Owens would be brilliant, from an MMA fans taking the piss standpoint he would be a nightmare. They will shit on it anyway, but best not to give them any extra ammunition

Fuck the daft cunts

Edit - not MMA fans, just the ones who are daft cunts

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

From an artistic standpoint Owens would be brilliant, from an MMA fans taking the piss standpoint he would be a nightmare. They will shit on it anyway, but best not to give them any extra ammunition

Why would MMA fans take the piss? Genuine question. I don't remember much criticism of Ronda Rousey's WWE appearance and she's got just as many haters as McGregor, if not more, so you'd think they'd shit all over it. I don't remember MMA fans moaning much about it and I don't see why they would with McGregor. It's a completely different thing to me, like if he was in a film or TV show or something.

I don't even think McGregor was setting up some angle either. He was within a fortnight of his fight when the comments were made. He's days away now and it's a rematch of a bad loss in a fight he's obsessed with avenging to the point he didn't even want to do media for it because he thought it would interfere with his training. I doubt he's thinking about working an angle for WrestleMania at this point. Now after Saturdays fight, whatever, maybe then they'll talk. Especially now it's escalated a bit with wrestlers biting on his comments, but I doubt he was thinking WrestleMania when he made the comments.

Edited by wandshogun09

It's Owens size, not the question of Conor participating. Even though wrestlings pretend every news outlet that picks that up and any channel hoppers who land on Raw during a confrontation are going to take one look at Kevin Owens and go "you're having a laugh". I don't have that problem with him, you don't have that problem with him but I bet a lot of eyeballs will have that problem. And it's not like Big Show or some old school wrestler fat either, where he still looks like an attraction. Owens has the weight and he's got that ordinary boy, nerdy head on top of him. Any confrontation between him and a real fighter of repute - scripted or not - would get sneered at I'm guessing.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm with Wand. It wasn't so much "cutting a promo for a possible future angle", more "cutting a promo because I know this one will get me loads of press coverage a week or two out of a massive fight and this will get even more to buy it hopefully which would be nice cause I get PPV points". His inner monologue lacks punctuation, like an excited child on December the 25th.

• Paid Members

If they were to go down that route, I'd say Rusev would be a good shout.

Looks credible as fuck and his Barbarian comedy style promos against Conor would be a right laugh.

Edited by Silky Kisser

The SummerSlam Kick-Off is scheduled for 2 hours and the event itself is scheduled for 4 hours although Sky have it listed as a 5 hour event.  So we could be looking at almost 7 hours worth of viewing this Sunday. 

UK time Kick Off 10pm - Midnight  SummerSlam  Midnight - 4am/5am

Edited by The Clint

How about Jericho (for McGregor)? if it's just a one off segment, that sounds like gold - sod Rocky honestly. Jericho can get banged out by McGregor and not lose much credibility at all. I can also imagine Connor's more likely to show a bit of arse for someone as established as Y2J, I can't see it working with anybody they wanna build or pass off as cool, like Ambrose

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

It needs Punk to win (won't happen) and (yes I know it won't happen either) return to WWE claiming the MMA world is full of pussies. McGregor rocks up to defend them and we can all sit back and enjoy the words and matches.

The SummerSlam Kick-Off is scheduled for 2 hours and the event itself is scheduled for 4 hours although Sky have it listed as a 5 hour event.  So we could be looking at almost 7 hours worth of viewing this Sunday. 

UK time Kick Off 10pm - Midnight  SummerSlam  Midnight - 4am/5am

Will feature at least 2 matches on the kickoff show, according to WWE Network press release.

I wish people would stop acting as though the pre show is necessary canon in order to have 'seen' a PPV. SummerSlam is a 4 hour show. Not a 7 hour show. Still way too long, but c'mon. Nobody ever counted the Sunday Night Heats and they were fun for ages. Of all the complaints levelled against WrestleMania 2000 nobody moans that it was like 12 hours long.