UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Henderson/Rua was a superb fight, a fight when both gave it everything and it took everything out of them. I scored it a draw. I'd like to watch it again to see whether it's replaced Edgar/Maynard II as my Fight of the Year.

I'm glad Wanderlei won, I hoped he would but without much confidence he would.

Urijah Faber put on a great performance beating Brian Bowles. I'm looking forward to Cruz/Faber III.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe that Le/Silva has gotten the same bonus as Hendo/Shogun. Absolute fucking lunacy.

* I didn't really appreciate the fans booing the first fight. I thought Bonnar was putting on a very good show on the ground and I didn't think the 30-25 score was harsh at all. Kingsbury just didn't look like he had a hope in hell when Bonnar got him down there, and Bonnar realised that. I thought he looked good, but the blood marks in the audience clearly didn't.

* Bypass Kampmann/Story since I had to miss that. Brian Bowles surprised me having absolutely no answer for how dynamic Faber was. Faber looked brilliant. I hope he has learned from the last fight with Cruz because he looked like someone who could do some damage last night.

* Cung Le just didn't do it for me. A lot of his kick throwing looked like he was just showing off, although he did land some good stuff. Wanderlei Silva just seemed to wait it out and pick his shots when he could and he did so very effectively. I thought it was a good stoppage as well.

* I'm not sure that Shogun/Hendo is my favourite fight of the year, as Bendo/Guida is probably my favourite fight ever, so to top that is always going to be tough. It was fucking close though. It was an absolute war. I really thought Shogun was out of the fight and there for the taking, but he kept on exploding back at the right times and then wound up on top of the fight, and the audience were eating it all up with great big spoons.

A great show on paper which delivered.

What a main event! I'm a huge Shogun fan so am obviously disappointed by the outcome but what drama! Hendo looked incredible for 3 rounds but Shoguns chin is insane. I lost count of the amount of times Hendo cracked him with the over hand right and it still couldn't put him out. The only thing that stops this fight being my FOTY is the fact Henderson gassed so badly. For the last round and a half he couldn't even put his hands up.

What's next for the 2 of them? I'd go Shogun/Rampage in Japan injuries/suspensions permitting and Henderson/Machida whatever happens in the Jones/Machida fight as Jones has to face Evans next surely?

Am I the only one that really can't stand Uriah Faber? He's a talented guy and seems like a nice person but something about him really grates on me. Maybe it's the fact he gets countless title shots like Florian (another I can't stand).

Silva/Le was fun while it lasted but, as said above, I can't believe it got fight of the night bonuses as the main event.

All in all a quality card.

• Paid Members

yeh, it kind of annoys me about Faber, but he always comes back after a title shot and wins his next fight. I've loved to have seen Bowles get a shot before he fought the Faber fight, but Faber proved that he probably is the no.1 contender.

anyone else wanna see Torres/McDonald like me?

• Paid Members

I wonder how much Wanderlei is regretting the way he went after Leben? If he had took that fight he would be undefeated at middleweight in the UFC.

The show was amazing looking at Cung Le he looks like he could get down to 170 if he wants to, when Silva was kneeing him I was shocked how his head did not burst open then I saw his nose ewwww.

Shogun must have 1 of the strongest chins in MMA. To think the power the Henderson has in his hands and how many times Shogun got tagged, was there any news regarding Hendos's hand? at the end of round 3 he looked like it was giving him some problems and while standing up he seemed to be holding it back in the 4th and 5th.

• Paid Members

Wow, what a show. The prelims delivered as always and the main show just got better as it went on and the main event was a fitting end. The term 'War' gets thrown about a lot but it's justified here, unbelievable display of heart from both of them. I scored it a draw myself but I aint gonna complain about that. Amazing fight and we would have been robbed if it was 3 rounds. I thought Shogun looked a little flabby and was convinced he'd fade in the later rounds especially after the punishment he took early, what a great finish to the fight.

I thought the Wandy/Le fight was stopped a little early, but when you look at the state of Le and the beating he took leading to the finish, it was justified. Those knees crushed his face. So happy for Wand.

w5.gif

Didn't expect Faber to put Bowles away like that, he turned it up big time when he sniffed the finish and it was great to see. I'd love to see him beat Cruz to finish it. I'll also throw in on the fans booing Bonnar, no need at all, Kampmann/Story which was a great fight got a few unjustified responses too. pisses me off greatly.

Weidman looked great, the ref should have got into that choke a bit quicker, Lawlor was in dreamland. McDonald's devastation of Soto was fantastic. I too like to idea of McDonald/Torres. McDonald would bring the fight to him.

Also Hendo's sponsor banner baring a great photo of him was brilliant, trying to find a picture of it.

I am exhasted after just watching this event.

Shogun vs Henderson, is my fight of the year. I watched this with fellow UKFFer, Kenji Mocko who is a massive biggest Hendo fan, I am a big Shogun fan and we had been debating all week who would win. I think I almost had a heart attack every time Hendo threw a right or an uppercut, I was out of me seat more times than I would like to admit and stood up throughout all of the final round.

When the verdict was read out, I collapsed with my hands covering my head while he jumped around liked he had won the FA Cup, he will be bragging about this for weeks.

I had 47-47, with the last round 10-8 but still what a thrill ride.

I fucking love MMA!

Faber looked great last night, and Silva winning was a real feel good moment.

What a fucking main event, I loved it. It's my fight of the year, even when they gassed it was still so dramatic. I really thought Shogun would finish the fight in the last round. I had it as a draw, but I'm happy Henderson won it. Awesome fight!

Faber looked great, I'm not a fan of him but he showed he deserves another shot at the title. Disappointed with Bowles, but Faber was too good for him last night.

Silva winning was great. It didn't match the awesome moment of Big Nog beating Schaub, but it was close, I went nuts. Silva had a good game plan and it paid off, although the first couple of minutes I was worried one of those kicks was going to catch him and knock him out.

It was nice to see Torres win, but a finish would've been nice. Have to agree with you guys, Torres vs. McDonald would be a great fight to make, that could be a war.

When the verdict was read out, I collapsed with my hands covering my head while he jumped around liked he had won the FA Cup, he will be bragging about this for weeks.

To be fair, you have picked against Hendo the last 3 or 4 fights, and hes won all of them. ;)

anyway, me and Jim both thought it was a draw before the decision. I spent the last round screaming "SURVIVE! SURVIVE!". (I will happily take a decision for gloating purposes)

It was an unbelievable fight. the picture Wandshogun09 posted is crazy.

This was a card I was looking forward to, and it didnt disappoint. I cant remember a UFC card that has been a let down in a long while, but the main event, Wand/Le & Faber/Bowles were all great fights.

Thank fuck for 5 round non title fights!

I dunno this aint great (4th and 5th round). Both fighters gassed from the mid 3rd round. Is this really what we want to see two people going to 5th round completely fucked its like watching the heavyweights at a high altitude.

:omg: Are you fucking kidding me?!?! That was a superb fight! It had everything!

• Paid Members

Damn right. Not to take away from Hendo's win at all. I definitely didn't think Shogun could have won that decision, thought it was a draw or possibly Hendo's if there was a 10-8 for him in there.

If round 5 wasn't 10-8 then they need to get them judges to Specsavers.

• Paid Members
Do you actually have to submit a death certificate to get a 10-8 these days?

If the 5th was a 10-8 then so was the round when Hendo was close to stoping Shogun. Shogun controlled the whole 5th round but never looked like he could stop it. While the ref could have stopped the fight a few times during that round.

• Paid Members

You mean round 3? That's a fair point but if you look that round, Shogun started well landing some clean shots and some good kicks then Hendo dropped him and was dropping hammers on Shogun's face, he had him in deep shit but then Shogun almost got the heel hook and the round ended with Shogun holding him against the fence, getting a takedown and landing some good shots. I thought despite Hendo clearly doing the most damage and winning the round, that Shogun did enough offensively for that to not warrant a 10-8.

Round 5, Hendo had nowt left and got outgrappled and mounted like 5 times and got in next to no offense at all. Gotta be a 10-8 imo even though he did less damage than Hendo did in round 3, Hendo got dominated the full 5 whereas Shogun was attacking even after getting bludgeoned.

All this doesn't really matter though because like i said, Shogun was too far behind to win on points anyway. He needed a finish and Hendo showed once again how tough a bastard he is and lasted.

I thought it was a draw but if anyone was gonna win it would be Hendo because he came closest to finishing with the big shots.

Archived