UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MMA Weekly has posted a image of the Judges scorecards. Neither fighter was awarded a 10-8 in any of the rounds.

Rua has said he wants a rematch. Not sure I would want to see that as it would be nigh on impossible to live up to that first fight.

I dunno Rua Vs Henderson in Japan would a good option.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It could have been a draw, but anyone who thinks Henderson winning was a travesty is wrong in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with that. I still think a draw would have been the right result but if there was gonna be a winner I knew it would be Hendo. He'd built up a strong lead and Shogun's comeback was just a little too late. The only way he could have pulled of a win would have been to finish him or have 2 10-8 rounds in a row.

I dunno Rua Vs Henderson in Japan would a good option.

Would be great but I can't see either guy being ready to go by February after that fight.

Cung Le's salary for this fight was $350k, the highest paid fighter on the show - and thats without the $70k FOTN bonus!

Holy Christ, he must have one hell of an agent.

He's a huge draw in San Jose, and was probably one of the biggest names on that particular card. I doubt he'll get paid that if he fights outside San Jose.

If we're going to go by Fightmetric then we may as well do away with judges altogether, and just check the results after the fight finishes. Regardless of how the stats stack up, Henderson deserved to win that fight.

He came out on top pretty handily in three of the five rounds.

Well that depends. I think judging by the whole fight rather than round by round, you'd hand if to Shogun pretty conclusively. Round one was close, round two was Hendo's, round three was Hendo's, round four was Shogun's by more than round one was Hendo's and round five was a Shogun whitewash. I'm not saying FightMetric has all the answers, but in a close fight where lots of people dispute whether the judges got it right, it's worth looking at how the numbers break down and figuring out what might make the system work better. Unless you believe that the current judging system and the current judges are invariably spot on in their assessment of close fights... :laugh:

Not at all, I'm just saying that by my reckoning, Henderson scored the first through the third rounds, whilst Shogun scored the fourth & fifth. At a push I could have scored the first frame a draw, but there's no way that Shogun won that fight. At best he gets a draw.

I definately wouldn't score either of the last two rounds by a 10-8, that's for sure. Rua may have had Henderson on the floor, but he wasn't even close to scoring a submission or stoppage, was he? If anything you could score at least one of the first three rounds 10-8 for Henderson.

We got the right result, and I've not really seen much arguments saying that Shogun won.

• Paid Members
Not at all, I'm just saying that by my reckoning, Henderson scored the first through the third rounds, whilst Shogun scored the fourth & fifth. At a push I could have scored the first frame a draw, but there's no way that Shogun won that fight. At best he gets a draw.

I definately wouldn't score either of the last two rounds by a 10-8, that's for sure. Rua may have had Henderson on the floor, but he wasn't even close to scoring a submission or stoppage, was he? If anything you could score at least one of the first three rounds 10-8 for Henderson.

We got the right result, and I've not really seen much arguments saying that Shogun won.

:confused: Did we just agree on something? Do we high 5 or something now

Shogun nearly had a submission in and Hendo just turned out of it easy enough. When you split that fight Metric stuff into rounds it shows the right guy won.

Archived