UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cung Le's salary for this fight was $350k, the highest paid fighter on the show - and thats without the $70k FOTN bonus!

Holy Christ, he must have one hell of an agent.

He's a huge draw in San Jose, and was probably one of the biggest names on that particular card. I doubt he'll get paid that if he fights outside San Jose.

But is he a big name for the average fan? I'd say no, your casual fan will know Henderson, Shogun & Wanderlei - most won't know Cung Le.

Wanderlei got a better reception than Cung Le did during the walkouts, a few reporters mentioned Le actually got a few noticeable boo's (which is surprising).

If he is signed to a multi-fight deal then it'll be the same pay-rate, or even higher - you never hear of fighters with deals that get worse as they go on.

• Paid Members
Not at all, I'm just saying that by my reckoning, Henderson scored the first through the third rounds, whilst Shogun scored the fourth & fifth. At a push I could have scored the first frame a draw, but there's no way that Shogun won that fight. At best he gets a draw.

I definately wouldn't score either of the last two rounds by a 10-8, that's for sure. Rua may have had Henderson on the floor, but he wasn't even close to scoring a submission or stoppage, was he? If anything you could score at least one of the first three rounds 10-8 for Henderson.

We got the right result, and I've not really seen much arguments saying that Shogun won.

:confused: Did we just agree on something? Do we high 5 or something now

Shogun nearly had a submission in and Hendo just turned out of it easy enough. When you split that fight Metric stuff into rounds it shows the right guy won.

i'm agreeing with David as well :confused:

• Paid Members

Nah I disagree Shogun had a 10-8 there for me (call me bias but fuck you all if you do :D )

I always thought a guy totally dominating a whole round is what the 10-8 was for. Of course it helps if you badly rock your opponent or almost submit him in the process but getting mount like 5 times and dropping constant punches and trying submissions plus the fact Hendo got in sod all offense the entire 5 minutes, that warrants a 10-8 imo.

The only round I could give Hendo a 10-8 maybe would be the 3rd when he was caving Shogun's head in on the ground. But even then Shogun had his moments in that round landing some good shots early, the heel hook attempt and the late takedown and punches against the fence.

It's a moot point really cos we've all agreed Shogun couldn't have won the decision by then anyway. I certainly don't have a problem with Hendo winning he won more of the fight than Shogun and came the closest to finishing. But a round as one sided as the 5th needs to be scored as such in my opinion.

Not at all, I'm just saying that by my reckoning, Henderson scored the first through the third rounds, whilst Shogun scored the fourth & fifth. At a push I could have scored the first frame a draw, but there's no way that Shogun won that fight. At best he gets a draw.

I definately wouldn't score either of the last two rounds by a 10-8, that's for sure. Rua may have had Henderson on the floor, but he wasn't even close to scoring a submission or stoppage, was he? If anything you could score at least one of the first three rounds 10-8 for Henderson.

We got the right result, and I've not really seen much arguments saying that Shogun won.

See, I would say you can make an argument that Hendo deserved a decision based on the current judging system (although I'd say a draw would be fairer). Shogun won the fight, though.

:confused: Did we just agree on something? Do we high 5 or something now

Shogun nearly had a submission in and Hendo just turned out of it easy enough. When you split that fight Metric stuff into rounds it shows the right guy won.

i'm agreeing with David as well :confused:

How does it feel to be right? ;)

• Paid Members

interested to hear that Dana White thinks that had the Shogun/Hendo fight been on Fox it would have been disaster. Basically implying that such a brutal fight would fuel the 'cockfighting' critics. I do agree with what he's saying, but i think you could guarantee that everyone that watched that fight would be tuning in for next Fox show.

Dana's saying it's all about easing their way in quietly, where do you stand on this?

• Paid Members
interested to hear that Dana White thinks that had the Shogun/Hendo fight been on Fox it would have been disaster. Basically implying that such a brutal fight would fuel the 'cockfighting' critics. I do agree with what he's saying, but i think you could guarantee that everyone that watched that fight would be tuning in for next Fox show.

Dana's saying it's all about easing their way in quietly, where do you stand on this?

I think Dana's bang on the money tbh. Myself & David both alluded to this in the other thread saying that there will be a lot of people waiting in the wings for an opportunity to bash the UFC now they're attempting to penetrate the mainstream & take market share from other sports/entertainment. If they can somehow 'pick their battles' or at least try & limit the amount of ammo their detractors have to use against them this can only be a good thing for the UFC & MMA in general. I said that moving away from the 'just bleed' stereotype & more sports orientated presentation is key to this (and yes, they actually presented rankings on the Fox broadcast..told you so Kiffy. .na na na na na*)

*Sorry but he was so persistent in his view they wouldn't my blatant gloating is justified.

I agree to a certain extent. Although if the current talk of putting Sonnen in the main event of their next card is true then that blows his theory out of the water. Any detractors will undoubtedly pick up on his suspension for POD's, and his recent legal problems. If you had never seen Chael Sonnen and someone told you that there was going to be a show on TV featuring a guy who got busted for performance enhancing drugs and who was in trouble with the law for fraud you'd probably assume the guy is a "skinhead with tattoos" or something.

In short, I believe the UFC are risking one of the biggest PPV fights of 2012 and not doing their FOX credibility any good if they're intent on portraying the sport as clean and trying to "ease their way in quietly".

For the record, I would use FOX to highlight the lighter weight divisions, featuring a fighter such as Faber who can do the media circuit and appeal to the casual fans out there.

The FOX deal gives us four fights on the platform per year, right? Then I'd stick to one or two weight divisions and try to build a fanbase for some of the lighter fighters.

• Paid Members

Yeah this could backfire badly if Munoz wins. Munoz vs Silva doesn't hold nearly the interest Silva vs Sonnen 2 would. I'd rather see Munoz fight the Bisping/Mayhem winner and keep the Silva vs Sonnen rematch. But if Chael doesn't wanna wait for Anderson to heal up what can they do?

For the record, I would use FOX to highlight the lighter weight divisions, featuring a fighter such as Faber who can do the media circuit and appeal to the casual fans out there.

Maybe Faber vs Cruz 3 will be on UFC on FOX 3? Would be a good choice. Dunno when the 3rd show is gonna be but with Cruz still out with the hand injury the timing could work out good for them to have that headline that one.

I could even see them doing TUF 15 with Faber and Cruz as coaches leading into the title fight on a big FOX show. With TUF moving to FX it would make sense for the coaches to fight on FOX.

Cruz vs Faber 3 would be perfect for a Fox show. It would only do medicore business on PPV, so having them two on FOX would not be that big of a financial hit and give them both a lot of exposure to the masses. Should be an entertaining fight as well.

I am convinced that UFC on FOX 2 will have Griifin vs Bonner 3 either headlining or supporting under Munoz vs Sonnen.

I would even go as far as trying to use the same kind of system that Channel 5 are using for boxing just now with Tyson Fury. The UFC should choose a few of the lesser known lighter weight classes and showcase them on FOX.

That way, whenever there's a UFC event on the network the casual audience that tune in will see the same faces, and this will make it easier for them to get into. It also helps the UFC solve the problem of pushing the new weight divisions without having to use their PPV platform to do so.

Archived