UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

ufc139poster.jpg

MAIN CARD (ESPN)

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs Dan Henderson

Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le

Urijah Faber vs Brian Bowles

Martin Kampmann vs Rick Story

Stephan Bonnar vs Kyle Kingsbury

SPIKE PRELIMS (Should be on ufc.tv)

Ryan Bader vs Jason Brilz

Michael McDonald vs Alex Soto

PRELIMS (Facebook)

Tom Lawlor vs Chris Weidman

Miguel Torres vs Nick Pace

Gleison Tibau vs Rafael Dos Anjos

Matt Brown vs Seth Baczynski

Shamar Bailey vs Danny Castillo

Shogun and Wanderlei fighting on the same night for the first time since Pride. And both in very tough fights, I'm gonna be bricking it. Love to see them both pull it off.

Come on Shogun and Wand

req8.gif

Top 3 fights look fucking brilliant. And the rest of the card is pretty stacked aswell. Torres vs Pace could be fun, Pace is underrated but he's decent imo. Could give Torres a good fight. Tibau/Dos Anjos could be really good too. And Bonnar/Kingsbu and Kampmann/Story could turn out to be wars.

Top to bottom one of the most stacked PPVs of the year (hope injuries don't rape this one). Hendo's UFC return, Cung Le's debut. Got a feeling Faber vs Bowles is gonna be amazing too, pumped for that one. Man, what a card.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely love the look of this card. Dos Anjos vs. Tibau on the prelims is really sticking out to me, while every fight on the main card has me excited on some level. The main event more than anything though. Really can't wait for this.

EDIT: I just noticed I said absolutely nothing that wasn't said in the first post. Hmm.

• Paid Members

Voted for Shogun by decision, Le by KO :( and Bowles by decision. Them's my first thoughts but the main event and Faber/Bowles in particular are hard to call.

I really, really hope Wand can land a bomb on Le. Got a bad feeling about that one.

UFC have announced this is being shown on Premier Sports instead of ESPN. WTF!

ESPN have a TV deal running until August 2012, yet UFC are continually choosing to shaft them (and every single Virgin Media subscriber). How is this even allowed to happen? ESPN have the deal for all numbered events.

I'm really growing tired of all this shitty treatment by UFC, I don't want to be watching every single bloody show on UFC's website.

Pissed off.

ESPN have a TV deal running until August 2012, yet UFC are continually choosing to shaft them (and every single Virgin Media subscriber). How is this even allowed to happen? ESPN have the deal for all numbered events.

I'm really growing tired of all this shitty treatment by UFC, I don't want to be watching every single bloody show on UFC's website.

Pissed off.

Interesting news, where did you get it from? Will it be free to air like other UFC's shown on Premier Sports? If that's the case, I'll be a happy bunny as I don't have ESPN.

Early predictions without giving it much thought: Henderson (R2 TKO), Silva (R1 TKO) and Faber (DEC).

Pissed off.

Interesting news, where did you get it from? Will it be free to air like other UFC's shown on Premier Sports? If that's the case, I'll be a happy bunny as I don't have ESPN.

Early predictions without giving it much thought: Henderson (R2 TKO), Silva (R1 TKO) and Faber (DEC).

It was on UFC's UK twitter account about an hour ago but I just checked again, they've now deleted that tweet and said they'd made a typo and actually meant the Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos show instead of UFC 139.

So yeah, they fucked up and this show IS on ESPN still. Relieved.

This card is fucking sick!

The atmosphere for Wanderlai and Cung Le will be as loud as any sporting crowd this year, its in Cung's hometown where he is beloved and Wanderlai gets the biggest ovation in all of MMA with his entrance.

The fight wont be boring either, and it wont go to the judges, Wanderlai has a better chance than most give him, if he can back Le up with punches and make him trade he could get a TKO win over Le, Cung also does not have the greatest gastank in the world either. Silva may not be durable as he once was, but he can still brawl.

Shogun I am confident will win, he has more tools with his striking, I expect plenty of leg kicks and knees, Shogun is also a lot faster than Hendo. I think Shogun will outstrike Hendo for 5 rounds to take a comfortable points win, although both have power I dont see either one finsihing.

• Paid Members

I see Le winning by a clean KO. I have no faith in Wandelei's chin at this point and although i think Wand might look good in a flurry or two i just see Le catching him clean at some point.

Same with Hendo-Shogun, Hendo has a stupid amount of confidence in his fists at the moment, at some point that rights gonna land. Hendo KO.

Cant wait till Saturday, im doing it all from beginning to end.

• Paid Members
Shogun I am confident will win, he has more tools with his striking, I expect plenty of leg kicks and knees, Shogun is also a lot faster than Hendo. I think Shogun will outstrike Hendo for 5 rounds to take a comfortable points win, although both have power I dont see either one finsihing.

This is my thinking aswell although I wouldn't say I'm confident in it. Like Ebb says Hendo is on fire at the minute. At the same time he's fallen in love with standing and throwing bombs and if he stands with Shogun it's pretty much his right hand vs Shogun's more varied Muay Thai attack of punches, elbows, kicks and knees. I really think Shogun is the much better striker in this one, Hendo would be wise to use his wrestling mixed in with his brawling imo.

If Shogun uses a similar strategy to the one he used in the first Machida fight, using leg kicks and body kicks to slow him down, I think Hendo will have a rough time. Hendo's been dropped in his last 2 fights aswell so it's not like he can't be hurt. And both guys have great finishing instincts. If either has the other hurt this fight could be over quick.

Both have had trouble with gassing in fights before aswell, so that could possibly come into play. Shogun's body kicks and Hendo's takedowns could be a big factor on the cardio both ways.

I see Le winning by a clean KO. I have no faith in Wandelei's chin at this point and although i think Wand might look good in a flurry or two i just see Le catching him clean at some point.

Same here. Got a very bad feeling Wand's getting laid out again. I don't know how Wand's gonna approach this one, people say to brawl a technical striker but he might not wanna rush Cung Le after what happened with Leben. Wand's still got KO power so if he lands he could put Le out. Le's been KO'd and hurt in fights before.

Just think Cung Le will be too fast and too accurate and will catch him eventually. I really hope I'm proved wrong on that.

I think it all depends on Wanderlei's tactics going into the fight.

I'm not entirely sure I buy into the idea that his chin has turned to glass either to be honest.

He's only been KO'ed by both Rampage & Leben in the UFC, and the fight with Leben could have went either way. He went steaming in and clipped Leben before getting clipped himself. That punch would have taken out any number of fighters in that division. He made a huge mistake trying to engage Leben in that kind of fight from the off. No one ever does that.

Aside from that he lost by KO to Rampage. That happens. Rampage has won nearly half his fights by KO.

This whole glass chin carry-on has stemmed from him getting stopped by Dan Henderson at PRIDE 33, where it was clear he was going in at less than 100%. He was running a fever before that fight, was he not? He managed to fight until the 3rd, getting hit by plenty beforehand as well.

Anyway, I don't buy into the idea that his chin is suspect, I buy into the idea that his gameplans are suspect. I think that anyone would have gotten KO'ed by using his tactics of late.

• Paid Members

On Wand's chin I think the jury's out still. I can see why people think his chin is gone but when you look who has KOd him it's guys who knock everyone out. Wand went a combined 30 minutes with Liddell and Franklin and never went down.

I agree with David I think it's his lack of any type of gameplan that is his biggest problem. That style worked for him years ago but the sport has evolved and it doesn't work so well these days. The one time he fought intelligently recently was the Bisping fight and I thought that was a step in the right direction. Then his next fight he ran at Chris Leben swinging wide sloppy punches and got caught. I know why he sticks with that style cos it's what got him where he is but he needs to change it up a bit if he wants to keep his career going imo.

Still, I'm expecting Wand's old instincts will take over and he'll go nuts again in this one. It could lead to him KOing Le in a minute or him getting KO'd himself. If that happens I've gotta favour the more technical accurate Le.

He needs to come out and spend a few minutes evaluating his opponent. If he feels the opponent doesn't have much to trouble him with power-wise then he can get more aggressive and look for the big finish.

I was excited to see Wanderlei back with Rafael Cordeiro, and don't think we can judge this re-united partnership on the Leben fight. Unless it was Cordeiro's idea to come out and rush Leben like that of course!

• Paid Members

thing is with Wand's chin i just don't see it holding up to a clean shot. He's never been knocked out by anything other than a solid shot but when one lands i see it finishing the fight.

Im looking forward to it though.

Archived