UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thank fuck for 5 round non title fights!

I dunno this aint great (4th and 5th round). Both fighters gassed from the mid 3rd round. Is this really what we want to see two people going to 5th round completely fucked its like watching the heavyweights at a high altitude.

TBH i put this at a draw. 47-47

Henderson R's 1-3 all 10-9

Shogun R4 10-9 and R5 10-8

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fucking show!

Pretty much every fight (bar Torres/Pace and 3rd round of Bonnar/Kingsbury) was excellent. Absolute joy to watch and the perfect event to show someone new to MMA.

I dunno this aint great

Are you insane? That was easily one of the best fights in MMA history, so many twists and turns.

• Paid Members
What a fucking show!

Pretty much every fight (bar Torres/Pace and 3rd round of Bonnar/Kingsbury) was excellent. Absolute joy to watch and the perfect event to show someone new to MMA.

I dunno this aint great

Are you insane? That was easily one of the best fights in MMA history, so many twists and turns.

agreed. It's sometimes tough seeing guys running out of energy in there but when two guys are absolutely brutalising each other and giving it everything they have, how can you knock it? an epic.

• Paid Members

what a show...

the prelims were a nice warm up, but this was one them cards where it just grew from start to finish, it got better and better as the night went on.

* Urijah Faber finally pulled out a performance worthy of him getting another title shot. For a while ive been thinking Urijah stays up there because of sheer name recognition, he's a great fighter but it's like he gets put at the front of the line at the expense of other people because of his appeal. Tonight he proved why he's there. It was pretty even until Urijah landed that uppercut, but after that... that is how you finish at fight, devastating elbows, relentless and non-stop aggression. Great finish and it does set up a trilogy nicely.

* Wanderlei/Cung Le was fantastic. Just a great clash of styles. I've never seen Wand circle and look as intimidated like he was in round 1, he seemed completely confused with what Cung was throwing at him, and rightly so, it was doing damage. With recent results i was cringing everytime Wand got his cause i didn't wanna see him go out again, but he proved what a f'n warrior he is. In the second round you could see him starting to fill with confidence, he was standing in the pocket more and he was less intimidated as Cung tired out. The finish was classic Wanderlei, absolutely perfect. Rogan shouted early stoppage but i think that was more Rogan as a fan not wanting to see it finish. I think the ref saved Cung, and after seeing the state of his nose afterwards i don't think anyone would argue.

That would really be the perfect place for Wand to hang 'em up, go out on a vintage performance, but he won't. As a guy though that's been a Wanderlei Silva fan for near enough 8 years that was just awesome, i loved it.

I hope Cung Le comes back too, not so much to be a contender, but just to have marquee type fights cause he's f'n fun to watch.

* The main event...in a word, Epic. This wasn't a purist's fight, it wasn't a technical masterpiece. This was just a brutal 25 minute scrap. There aint much else to say, it was a fucking classic. ajmcstyles can moan about gas tanks all day, but if you couldn't appreciate the effort and guts those two men put into that fight you aint no fight fan. Either man could easily have turned over and tapped a few times during that fight, but they both gutted it out and gave everyone their money's worth.

Now, going forward i don't see either man troubling Jon Jones, simply because if either man slow down against Jones i think the champ would just eat em up, but MMA is all about matchups, and tonight's fight was two MMA legends just beating the piss out of each.

To say it shouldn't have been 5 rounds would have robbed us of one of the greatest turn arounds in the sport, Shogun Rua is a madman, that guys chin is made of iron and he's got more guts than brains but holy fuck you have to respect him.

Oh, the 3 main fights were so good i forgot about Kampmann-Story, decent little scrap too that suffered from a lack of audience interest. Kampmann basically beat Story at his own game in the end. Rick Story looks so good wading in throwing bombs, but once he takes his foot off the gas he's vunerable and Kampmann exposed that. I wanna see Kampmann-Sanchez II.

Outstanding.

Bonuses ($70k to each fighter):

KO - Michael McDonald

Sub of the Night - Faber

FOTN - Wandy/Le AND Shogun/Hendo

ahhh nice to see Dana give out two fight of the night bonuses. The old Pride guys did us proud tonight :)

• Paid Members

on the subject of scoring the main event, i was like Rogan i really did lose track. I definitly had Shogun winning 4 + 5. The first 3 were probably Henderson's but i'd like to go back and rewatch to see if Shogun perhaps nicked one. The 5th round could really have been scored 10-8.

I was that caught up in it, scoring was irrelevant.

• Paid Members

What a fucking show that was.

Main event was a classic, so much going on. Like Ebb I lost track of scoring but had Hendo winning the first 3 and Shogun taking the last 2. I did think round 5 was deffo 10-8 to Shogun though so I had it a draw on first viewing. But really in a fight like that it's more how great the fight was than who won that matters. I almost shit my pants when Hendo floored Shogun in round 1 and when he was battering him on the floor in round 3? i think it was. Then seeing Shogun come back in round 4 and almost put Hendo away I was going nuts. If only Shogun had the energy left at that point to take him out. Hendo was out on his feet at the end of the 4th.

One of my favourite MMA fights ever. Deffo my new fight of the year.

Was chuffed to see Wand get the win and the finish. He took some big shots aswell which kinda shows his chin hasn't completely gone. I really think 185 is a good division for him, at the finish he looked sharp and fast and that last flurry he landed pretty much every strike he threw. His last few fights at light heavy he looked a bit slow and sluggish. Great to see Wandy dust off the old knees of doom aswell.

Faber looked excellent. He deserves the Cruz rubber match for sure. Boy did i get this one wrong? I really felt like Bowles could outwork Faber but Faber was on point and looked a class above Bowles to me.

Bonnar getting booed disappointed me too. Same with Leben when they stopped the fight at 138. Them 2 have always fought a balls out risky style and put on entertaining fights. Bonnar was going for submissions but Kingsbury had a good defence, thats MMA, tough shit. Bonnar fought a smart fight.

Kampmann looked good after a rocky first round. Dunno how one judge had it for Story I thought Kampmann took the 2nd and 3rd pretty obviously. I'd like to see Kampmann vs Alves next maybe.

Really enjoyed the prelims aswell. Brilz is probably gone after 2 quick losses. McDonald KO was impressive, be interesting to see where he goes next. Weidman's win was probably his most impressive so far too. Some potential new stars born tonight.

Fantastic show.

• Paid Members
Imagine if they had put that fight at on the Fox show?!

The ratings would have been mental!

Haha, me and my brother were saying I bet Dana is wishing he put this on FOX instead. Would have been perfect.

To say it shouldn't have been 5 rounds would have robbed us of one of the greatest turn arounds in the sport, Shogun Rua is a madman, that guys chin is made of iron and he's got more guts than brains but holy fuck you have to respect him.

Yeah if this had been a 3 rounder then Hendo would have taken a fun but fairly one sided decision. Shogun's comeback in round 4 and 5 was mental, if he'd been able to finish Hendo after that beating that would be up there with Edgar/Maynard and Nog/Sapp as one of the greatest comeback wins in MMA history.

Archived