UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thing is with Wand's chin i just don't see it holding up to a clean shot.

He took solid shots from Liddell, Bisping & Franklin and didn't go down. The truth is, the shots that do put him away (which have only come from Leben & Rampage) are the kinds of shots that would put pretty much anyone away.

He took solid shots from Liddell, Bisping & Franklin and didn't go down. The truth is, the shots that do put him away (which have only come from Leben & Rampage) are the kinds of shots that would put pretty much anyone away.

Bisping is hardly known for his power though.

I will give you Liddel but that was years ago. You may have a point with Franklin who does have power, but he did allow Franklin to tag him a heck a lot times, if he does that against Le it wont last long.

I am going back and forth on who I am picking between Le and Wand.

Bisping is hardly known for his power though.

That's true, but if Silva's chin had gone he would have been clipped and troubled by at least one shot from Bisping, resulting in the flurry to take him out. That didn't happen against either him or Franklin.

Sure, his style will always make him easier to hit than someone who fights in a more conservative fashion, and he'll undoubtedly get knocked out again before his time is over, but this opinion that his chin has gone and that he's nearly finished seems pretty unwarranted in my opinion.

He's fought six times in the UFC since returning in 2007, and has only been stopped twice.

I tend to question his gameplan more than anything else. You tell me any middleweight who rushes in against Chris Leben from the off, looking to trade punches with him when he's fresh.

This fight will depend on if he's changed his gameplan or not. If he fights as he did against both Bisping & Franklin I see him eventually stopping Le later on in the fight. Le doesn't have the best gas tank I don't think, and doesn't have the experience to fight Wanderlei in a drawn out fight.

If Wanderlei rushes in as he did against Leben, fuck knows what'll happen. He could get KO'ed, or he may repeat his performance against Keith Jardine.

• Paid Members

I hope he Jardines him :)

The Bisping thing is a good point. If someone not known for being a powerful puncher, like Bisping, KOd Wand then I'd fully agree his chin might be shot. But he's only getting KOd by the heaviest handed fighters in MMA. Bisping landed some good clean shots right on Wand's chin. Surely if his chin was as gone as people say then Bisping would have stopped him.

I think some people are heavily overestimating Cung Le (not just on here but in general), his only notable wins/opponents have been Scott Smith and a past his prime Shamrock, he is 40 in a few months and he hasn't fought in 17 months.

Originally I said he'd be KO'ed by Belfort and I'm keeping the same opinion with Wanderlei.

I'm also picking Shogun by TKO in the 1st.

• Paid Members

i think it stems more from the fact that Wand is so easy to hit, and i think against an accurate striker like Le he's going to ship some punishment.

• Paid Members
I think some people are heavily overestimating Cung Le (not just on here but in general), his only notable wins/opponents have been Scott Smith and a past his prime Shamrock, he is 40 in a few months and he hasn't fought in 17 months.

probably. I wish Cung had made the move to MMA sooner or that he'd decided to put the movie thing on the backburner for a bit (cant really blame him for that though) and concentrated on fighting. He's one of the few guys that seems to be able to incooperate flashy shit into a effective MMA style.

Who knows what the 17 month lay off will do for him though!? i can't wait to find out.

• Paid Members
been a re-shuffle on the Spike card, McDonald-Soto will air instead of Lawlor-Weidman, no explanation as to why?

Yeah that's an odd one. I guess they see something in McDonald. He's been fun to watch so far, suppose they wanted him televised. Still, I thought if any fight got promoted it would be Torres/Pace.

I'd actually have rathered they kept Lawlor/Weidman on Spike and demote Bader/Brilz myself. Weidman's an exciting prospect and Bader and Brilz are coming off very quick stoppages to aging fighters.

Oh well, we'll get to see em all anyway I suppose.

been a re-shuffle on the Spike card, McDonald-Soto will air instead of Lawlor-Weidman, no explanation as to why?

Thats better for us fans tbh, because unlike the Spike prelims atleast on Facebook - they show the entrances!

....well that is if Lawlor does do a good entrance this time.

• Paid Members

Wanderlei Silva training video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=OQG6Xho0rTQ

Looks good. I wish we'd see this Wand in the fights though. Before each of his last 4 or 5 fights I've watched his training videos on youtube and he's looked great. His striking has looked pretty sharp, including his Thai clinch and knees which he seems to forget about once the actual fight begins. He's even throwing straight punches in some of them vids and showing he does have some solid technique but he'd rather brawl. His BJJ has looked pretty slick in these vids aswell, I seem to remember one a couple of years ago of him tapping Big Nog with a guillotine.

Then once the fight starts, a switch in his head seems to go off and he reverts to his old wildman form swinging crazy hooks and not much else. It's like he thinks that's what his fans want when really we just want to see him winning or at least not leaving himself wide open to be KO'd.

He won't change. He's still my favourite fighter in MMA but he must realize his current style is too reckless for the way the sport is today. I hope he comes out like he did vs Bisping on Saturday night. If he's smart about it and attacks in bursts at the correct times he can beat Cung Le for sure. If he comes out like he did vs Leben it's a tossup but Le is likely the more accurate striker therefore more likely to land the big shots imo.

I hope he Jardines him :)

The Bisping thing is a good point. If someone not known for being a powerful puncher, like Bisping, KOd Wand then I'd fully agree his chin might be shot. But he's only getting KOd by the heaviest handed fighters in MMA. Bisping landed some good clean shots right on Wand's chin. Surely if his chin was as gone as people say then Bisping would have stopped him.

This!

I also hope Jardine still has nightmares about that. Really dislike him.

Archived