UFC 139: 'Shogun vs Henderson' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I agree with allot of what you say, I just think a 10-8 round is scored when you come close to finish the fight rather then spending it in total control, if that was the case every round GSP fights would be 10-8 round's. Shogun won the 5th round hands down but he never looked like he was going to finish the fight, to make it a 10-8 you need to have the guy hanging on.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is great, If you haven't seen it already, you must watch. When our heroes climb mountains: MMA fan Gary Laplante watches Shogun/Hendo.

"This is an uncensored and unedited look at just how delicate life can be, chronicling one fan’s earnest reaction to watching one of his heroes competing in one of the sport’s most gripping contests to date. This is Gary." - MiddleEasy.com

It's beautiful.

• Paid Members

Unless Brock and the Reem turn in something spectacular I think the main event will also be my fight of the year. I was literally transfixed throughout. Incredible fight. I think though it will put pays to Rampages hopes of a rematch with Rua in Japan though.

Talking of Rampage, Bonnar has called him out at the post match PC. Can't see that happening though.

• Paid Members
I agree with allot of what you say, I just think a 10-8 round is scored when you come close to finish the fight rather then spending it in total control, if that was the case every round GSP fights would be 10-8 round's. Shogun won the 5th round hands down but he never looked like he was going to finish the fight, to make it a 10-8 you need to have the guy hanging on.

But how can "one man totally controls the round with the other getting no offense, even though it's not almost finished" be scored the same as "it's so even you can barely pick a winner, and the only reason you don't call it a draw is because that's considered indecisive"? Surely the whole point of having 10-8 is to distinguish between close rounds and decisive rounds.

The Unified MMA rules don't make any reference to how close you come to finishing.

1. A round is to be scored as a 10-10 Round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows dominance in a round;

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

I'm not really sure how much difference there is between "overwhelmingly dominates" and "totally dominates", but Shogun in the fifth was certainly a hell of a lot closer to "overwhelmingly dominates" than "wins by a close margin".

• Paid Members

Maybe we both have a problem with the scoring system rather then the score. I just go on past 10-8 rounds and find if a 10-8 round is what we saw in round 5 then every round GSP had vs Kos would have been 10-8 and every other fight he has where he puts the guy on the ground and controls him is 10-8.

Personally if you near finish someone and they just hold on and do just enough to stop the ref from stopping the fight it should be a 10-7 (eg 1st round of Brock Carwin) If you totally control someone but never look like you can finish (eg 5th round Shougun Vs Hendo, every GSP vs Kos round) it should be a 10-8. While if its a close round you go with the 10-9 score. Going on past 10-8's round 5 of the Shogun Hendo fight was not a 10-8.

Well if you want to look at it comparitively, one of the judges gave Bonnar two 10-8s and I wouldn't say he looked any closer to finishing the fight than Shogun.

Don't you think Henderson looked close enough to finishing the fight to deserve at least one 10-8 as well though?

• Paid Members

Logically, the idea that "Shogun didn't do enough for a 10-8" doesn't make any sense. He's getting the same 10 points either way, so it should be up to the round loser to prove he deserves 9 points rather than 8. In that case, it's farcical to say that what Henderson did in the fifth (ie no effective offense whatsoever, managed to turn over a few times but was quickly put back in mount) should get the same score as somebody who loses a "normal" round.

At least im not the only one to think this fight is a draw. But cant deny what Dana says.

But as mentioned Shogun should of been given a 10-8 for that final round. The 5 round system is gunna be tough for those main eventing and are not or have not competed for a belt. Means more cardio work for the top guys.

• Moderators
Logically, the idea that "Shogun didn't do enough for a 10-8" doesn't make any sense. He's getting the same 10 points either way, so it should be up to the round loser to prove he deserves 9 points rather than 8. In that case, it's farcical to say that what Henderson did in the fifth (ie no effective offense whatsoever, managed to turn over a few times but was quickly put back in mount) should get the same score as somebody who loses a "normal" round.

That logic ignores the fact that it's relatively scaled because someone has to get a 10*.

* Most of the time.

• Paid Members

MMA Weekly has posted a image of the Judges scorecards. Neither fighter was awarded a 10-8 in any of the rounds.

Rua has said he wants a rematch. Not sure I would want to see that as it would be nigh on impossible to live up to that first fight.

If round 5 was a 10-8, there could be an argument for 2 or 3 being a 10-8 as well. Hendo dominated those two as much as Shogun dominated the 5th. I scored it the same as the judges did to be honest, although if it had been scored 47-47 I wouldn't have been surprised.

Was an absolutely belting fight though.

Archived