WWE Survivor Series 2011 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

That was the best The Rock has looked since his first comeback promo. I liked his promo and the opening of the match was excellent. The match faded away as The Miz and Truth started getting offence in though (they are jabronis). The ending was indeed flat, poor Cena was made to look like a right gimp for the match and post-match. Surely Cena has to AA The Rock tonight?

Cena's smirking was excellent, I thought. Bound to wind up the people that cheer The Rock.

Hopefully they send Sin Cara to FCW, if they keep him after his surgery. The guy is a danger to himself and his opponents.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 5 on 5 was forgettable. Glad they didn't go the usual route of the Face overcoming the odds.

I was absolutely convinced that Orton was going to Hulk Up and steamroll through Chavo2, Rhodes and Barrett. Good on Barrett to state his intention to be the first English world champion too.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it, the crowd made it so much better though. Some random chants all night. 'Sexual Chocolate' and 'D'Lo Brown' were pretty great. Someone needs to put together a list because there were a few I couldn't make out.

The Rock's promo before was excellent and in ring he was seamless. What was up with Cena and Rock at the end though? It was almost like Cena didn't want to come back in and get booed, and Rock pretty much forced his hand. They had a weird exchange and it felt awkward.

I'll get some shit from the usual crowd, but I wish they'd just turn him heel, I get the 'Sells tons of merch' stuff but surely it's counter-productive to the long term to continue to force-feed the majority of fans something they cannot abide. It's kinda embarrassing to see him smiling while the fans boo him out the building.

*Ducks*

CM Punk got a fantastic reception, I liked the finish. Enjoyed the opener and the traditional match too. Cody Rhodes got a great response. Must have been the kneepads.

• Paid Members
The 5 on 5 was forgettable. Glad they didn't go the usual route of the Face overcoming the odds.

I was absolutely convinced that Orton was going to Hulk Up and steamroll through Chavo2, Rhodes and Barrett. Good on Barrett to state his intention to be the first English world champion too.

Other than Gary Steel and Nigel McGuinness? NWA and ROH world champions respectively ;)

Bar that he should of won the WWE title the other year IMPO.

• Paid Members
Id love to see the Hardcore title being brought back in PG era. Imagine trying to watch a hardcore match on sky one

Sounds about as much fun as the UKFF Hardcore Championship provided.

Other than Gary Steel and Nigel McGuinness? NWA and ROH world champions respectively ;)

Bar that he should of won the WWE title the other year IMPO.

World Champion in the WWE, obv.

I think Barrett's better now than he's ever been, he's got a couple of signature moves to his name now and a reason for existing always helps. I don't like the term "Barrett Barrage" though.

Pretty solid Pay-Per-View.

Dolph Ziggler is invariably a treat, and you could tell that both he and Morrison were putting in the effort in that really good opener. It's a shame that the crowd weren't particularly bothered about the match, though.

The Rock's promo was incredible. That was the highlight of the show, for me. I've been disappointed with a lot of The Rock's mic work since his comeback, but he absolutely nailed it last night in the way that only he can. Compare that promo to the contrived and corny opening he did for Wrestlemania - the difference is astounding.

I'm not getting the love for Mark Henry vs. The Big Show. For the most part, the match seemed designed to bore the shit out of the crowd. It didn't pick up until the end, and it was The Big Show's top-rope elbow that saved it. The spear through the barrier was a little underwhelming, though, so that wouldn't have been enough.

It really did send shivers up and down my spine seeing The Rock back in his ring gear and back in action. I thought he was just a tad rusty (especially with a couple of kicks that missed by a mile), but all things considered, he was very, very impressive. The man is truly a cut above the rest.

The ending was odd. To me, The Rock bringing Cena back into the ring to be booed and so that The Rock could gloat seemed very heelish. And then The Rock hitting Cena with that sneaky Rock Bottom really made me want to see Cena kick his ass. Again, too heelish.

I don't get what they're going for with Cena. It was like last night was designed to humiliate him. He got booed the fuck out of, they had Rock take the piss out of his 'lady parts' they had Rock bring him back to the ring so he could get booed more, then they had Rock hit him with the Rock Bottom, then to make things worse, they just had Cena skulk off after it and not even attempt to do anything back. Very odd.

And no doubt tonight we'll have Cena come out and laugh it all off like nothing happened. I dunno. The whole thing felt weird.

Enjoyed the hell out of that. It's a DVD purchase for me like Money In The Bank and Vengeance before it.

The opening match was great stuff even though the crowd were in another dimension, bringing another sort of entertainment to it. Dolph is practically begging us to salivate over and heap praise on him with every little action he does. He is that breed of superstar who takes absoloutely everything both in and out of the ring he does into account and knows how to make himself stand out and be one of the best parts of the show even if his humdrum midcard booking doesn't always call for it. Morrison must have felt like a right twat sandwiched in between the terrific Ziggler and the audible presence in the air of the guy the fans actually wanted to see out there instead of him.

The divas match was alright, like. It got a bigger than usual reaction, didn't run for too long and had a fuck crazed spot so I can't complain. Rock's promo was awe inspiring. I was quite dissapointed at the start because the chants didn't really lift off like they should but the promo got better as it went along and became one of those classic, rabble rousing backstage-at-a-PPV promos Rock does so well. The slow transition from the history lesson to the sing song and catchphrase laced climax was fantastic and when Rock abruptly roared into "if you smellllllllllllll!" I shat it.

The traditional Survivor Series match was a decent enough affair but it felt like a long main event on some special edition of Smackdown. Sin Cara brought the lolz as per usual although I feel for the guy at this point. I got quite a kick out of Hunico. It was the first time I have seen him on WWE TV in his current guise and I fucking love his generic Mexican gimmick. He should be cutting promos about Stella Artois backstage in his wifebeater. It's like someone just picked the hispanic option for a WWE '12 create a wrestler template and left it at that. Cody Rhodes not simply diverting back to his Dashing gimmick is still puzzling, nothing bores me more than the prospect of Sheamus Vs. Swagger - unless it ends with Swagger getting killed, and Orton didn't ~overcome the odds which was a nice surprise. I can feel him getting the Cena backlash heading into 2012.

The crowd were the stars of Show/Menry until Show busted out the Macho elbow. Not much to add about that one.

Bringing The Fink out for Punk's introduction was a lovely touch and it was great to see his reaction to the reception he got. The title match was great - usual great climax - and I was absoloutely elated at Punk winning. The knee jerk Punk backlash some of the IWC launched against ... the rest of the IWC ... after the booking failed to hold up after the initial MITB stuff bored the shit out of me and seeing him back on form and making it quite handily still as a full on babyface now is nice vindication. I love the bloke and seeing him get such a big MSG moment was super.

The first few minutes of the main event was fluid stuff. The Rock was on top form. The match completely lost me when Cena got in though. He felt - and I like the guy, this isin't Cena hate by any means - at times like a third wheel to the people's champ taking on Miz and Truth. The pace when he was in between the ropes was dreary for most of the time and as much as the fans wanted The Rock back in on the hot tag it didn't translate to them trying to noise Cena out of submission spots and beatdowns. Just scattered, consistent Rock chants as Cena went through the motions.

The ending ... I didn't even know what to expect. I expected more somehow but I'm not sure. Still it was a brilliant night. Enjoyed the heck out of it.

I haven't watched WWE in a long while but wanted to see this for TheRock.

I think the event was a mixed bags, not bad but boring, very boring in some parts where I just skipped over.

I thought the 5 on 5 match was good, Cody looks different to when I last saw him, must me hitting the gym more, he was over big time, it might as well have been just him and Orton out there, Mason Ryan looks ridiculous.

Shows spot off the top was amazing, the rest of the match was boring though, but Id expect that with two giants.

Miz and Truth might as well have been two crash dummies, of course they should be happy to be in a main event in MSG, especially Truth considering a year ago people thought he would be gone from WWE, its quite a turn around in his career and will probably be his biggest match ever.

The match however was boring every time The Rock wasn't in the ring, as the chant went he's still got it, the ending though was odd, it was almost like they were stalling for time, we dont really need to see Cena/Rock hit their finishers on each other anymore, save that for the big match up.

I dunno but I'm not as hyped for there WM match as I was before, it will be still huge, maybe I will change my mind when it gets closer, but after this event I have to keep reminding myself this was Rocks first match in 7 years, but it did not feel special in that way.

I don't get what they're going for with Cena. It was like last night was designed to humiliate him. He got booed the fuck out of, they had Rock take the piss out of his 'lady parts' they had Rock bring him back to the ring so he could get booed more, then they had Rock hit him with the Rock Bottom, then to make things worse, they just had Cena skulk off after it and not even attempt to do anything back. Very odd.

And no doubt tonight we'll have Cena come out and laugh it all off like nothing happened. I dunno. The whole thing felt weird.

Cena did look like shit last night. Logical though it may be, you can add to that list that Cena did get his ass handed to him for most of the match, and The Rock looked like a super-charged machine (even when not in the ring), destroying everything in his way.

No doubt, on Raw tonight, Cena will say that he didn't retaliate against The Rock because he earned his moment and he respects that, etc. Although they could have handled this better, Cena will look great later down the line when he inevitably beat The Rock at Mania.

Cody Rhodes not simply diverting back to his Dashing gimmick is still puzzling

Not that puzzling. If they were happy with the Dashing character, they wouldn't have changed it in the first place. And he's gone beyond it anyway. His character now has stopped caring about his looks and is about restoring prestige to the Intercontinental title (or something), not telling people how to floss.

Cody Rhodes not simply diverting back to his Dashing gimmick is still puzzling

Not that puzzling. If they were happy with the Dashing character, they wouldn't have changed it in the first place. And he's gone beyond it anyway. His character now has stopped caring about his looks and is about restoring prestige to the Intercontinental title (or something), not telling people how to floss.

I appreciate the impetus to move beyond a gimmicky pretty boy act but when the alternative is 'Generic' Cody Rhodes I'd be a little wary. I personally thought the Dashing gimmick had legs left in it and would have more than serviced the IC belt. It was a gloriously early 90's style character but with enough genuine credibility to make it both hillarious and solid at the same time.

Mostly though I just wanted that theme music back :(.

• Paid Members

It was alright. Felt sorry for Dolf Ziggler. He's far and away the best and most consistant wrestler on the roster. Nobody touches him for me. They didnt need him in the elimination match to do a quick job. Sin Cara is fucking useless. As an avid WCW fan, I've seen some rotten Mexicans, but he has to be up there with the most useless. He's a fantastic gymnast, but what a clumsy cunt. Big Shows elbow was a thing of beauty. CM Punk won, but he'll lose it at the next PPV, and then Del Rio will lose it to Cena at the Royal Rumble, so that belts not going to stop playing hot chateau just yet. And poor Cena got buried, but had enough brains to walk away laughing. There's people slagging off Cena for no selling it, but if I or anyone was booked to get a Rock Bottom after that happened, I'd make it look as hokey as I possibly could as well, to "get my heat back, brother".

Something else is worth a mention, the regulars are reporting that the Rock shaking hands with all the ring announcers and the staff after his match was a dig at CM Punk and Randy Orton for burying him in the lead up to the match saying he just turns up, shakes hands and leaves and doesnt talk to anyone. Who's advising these wrestlers? Why would you bury the person selling the PPV in the build up? Cant believe the WWE locker room is so bitter towards the Rock. He's probably the most selfless headliner ever. Madness.

Archived