WWE Survivor Series 2011 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Really disappointed with the 5 on 5 match. They announced it and then started feuds to fill it rather than the other way around. With World title matches being so meaningless, I think they should have sacrificed the Henry-Big Show match and made them captains. I also think they could have had a second survivor match.

Cena/Rock vs. Awesome Truth

Punk vs. Del Rio

Women's match

Ziggler vs. Ryder

Big Show, Orton, Shaemus, Bryan, Sin Cara vs. Henry, Rhodes, Christian (before injury), Barrett & Hunico

Ryan, Santino, Kingston, Dibiase & Morrison vs. Swagger, Clay, Gabriel, Kidd & Otunga.

Perfect match to put Clay over huge.

I'd have liked to have seen more Survivors matches as well. I liked the idea that was rumoured when Rock was first announced for Survivor Series of him being in a Survivor Series match which would have given a bit of a 'rub' to the old elimination format and not given too much away from his in-ring return. A complete return to his first WWF match as well with that being in the same type of match at the same show at the same arena.

If any year was perfect to resurrect the 'co-captains' gimmick from 1988 (that they haven't done since) it was for the Cena/Rock vs Miz/Truth feud.

Given the current feuds, I'd have gone with this 50/50 split between elimination and regular matches:

Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Matches:

1. Raw Match:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's possible he's visiting friends backstage, but stirring shit up via twitter so people think he might be on the show.

In two minds about whether to stay up or not for this. I want to, but on the other hand I'd only really be doing it for The Rock's in-ring return. I was already up in the early hours helping a friend who's car had broken down, so can I manage another night with a dodgy sleeping pattern?

Anyway, I hope Punk wins the title tonight. He's been picking up the pace again recently and I think the time is right to go with him again. Not sure where that would leave Del Rio.

It's possible he's visiting friends backstage, but stirring shit up via twitter so people think he might be on the show.

In two minds about whether to stay up or not for this. I want to, but on the other hand I'd only really be doing it for The Rock's in-ring return. I was already up in the early hours helping a friend who's car had broken down, so can I manage another night with a dodgy sleeping pattern?

Anyway, I hope Punk wins the title tonight. He's been picking up the pace again recently and I think the time is right to go with him again. Not sure where that would leave Del Rio.

If Punk won the tite tonight wouldn't Del Rio get a re-match at TLC?

• Paid Members

If Punk lost wouldn't they still have a bloody match at TLC?

That would involve Punk having to prove he's worth another title shot first as opposed to Del Rio saying that he's due one.

• Paid Members

That would involve Punk having to prove he's worth another title shot first as opposed to Del Rio saying that he's due one.

Either way it's probably going to happen again.

Jeez, could not care less. So indifferent.

I keep telling myself its The Rock!!! First time hes wrestled in years, but I actually don't care. If The Miz and R-Truth were still in the awesome rebeliious phase they got in for the two weeks before they got cut down I'd be excited but meh. Just meh to Survivor Series in general.

Also does anyone remember the days when PPVs had 7 or 8 announced matches? They sure were the good old days.

i agree the cardis uninspiring and quite scarey update on wo yesterday saying it will be a three hour attempt get things trending on twitter. still im there live and as isaid before the mixture of an attitude era out of town hardcore new york crowd could be explosive. im going to have a few beers and hopefully enjoy the atmosphere. if wwe fuck up the booking i could see the rock getting a few boos still. and am fully expecting ryder chants. one of the things i found watching wm20back compared to the noise in the building is how badly the crowd were miked whn they gave the wrong reaction

I can't wait for this, more for the fact it's in the Garden, rather than the card they're putting on, but still, it should be quality!

Here's the wonderful video package they produced for the last Raw they did there a few years back, to help everyone else get in the mood for tomorrow.....

Yeah, that was great. One of the best videos they've done in the last few years.

Bigboot - im sure they did co-captains at a recent survivor series, the one with dx and rated rko? Still unsure weather to order, cant really see anything interesting happening.

I'd forgotten about that. That's another one that made sense at the time. Still I think if you are going to have co-captains you might as well do a 1988 and do it throughout the whole card. The whole Rock & Cena/Miz & Truth, Beth & Natalya/Eve & Kelly are tag feuds anyway so it would have been easy to book Sheamus & Orton/Barrett & Christian/Rhodes in the same way and have three or four (if they could come up with another one) Elimination matches with co-captains.

Jeez, those are awful nicknames. I think Matt Striker has probably come up with less cringeworthy nicknames.

Thanks.

i agree the cardis uninspiring and quite scarey update on wo yesterday saying it will be a three hour attempt get things trending on twitter. still im there live and as isaid before the mixture of an attitude era out of town hardcore new york crowd could be explosive. im going to have a few beers and hopefully enjoy the atmosphere. if wwe fuck up the booking i could see the rock getting a few boos still.

In some ways, I think the worst thing they could do is have Rock cut a lengthy promo in front of the crowd. If the bit about Twitter is right then I could see him getting a negative reaction from that. On the other hand, from WWE's POV I can see how they might decide they want their moneys worth from using and fill up some space with just that.

Still think he'll get mostly cheers for his trademark moves particularly if he hits one of them on Cena.

and am fully expecting ryder chants. one of the things i found watching wm20back compared to the noise in the building is how badly the crowd were miked whn they gave the wrong reaction

That's an interesting point. Even watching on Sky I remember there were cheers for Christian/Trish heel turn, plus the Goldberg/Lesnar mess. Live I'm guessing you had some other responses WWE would rather have not had?

I haven't watched much WWE since end of September bar bits and pieces of Raw last week to see what The Rock would do. Considering this is his first time in the ring since Wrestlemania 20 it feels under-whelming. Looking at the card it doesn't feel like a big event, so hopefully they'll surprise and will be in for a great show. Whats the thinking of the main event? All i've been hearing is Miz/Truth have been made to look second rate, i'm guessing no surprise if they win the tag match with either Rock or Cena turning on the other.

This will be the first PPV I'll have stayed up to watch live since Wrestlemania. Though I can't imagine anything out of the ordinary or too unexpected happening, it should be an entertaining enough show to warrant staying up for.

I find it quite interesting that there aren't more people saying that Cena will turn heel on The Rock tonight as is usually the case in these scenarios, especially seeing as though tonight would be as good a time as any for it to happen. (For the record, I personally don't see it happening). I'm guessing that it will be an AA followed by a People's Elbow on Truth for the victory, before the two have a stare-down as the show closes.

I will refrain from elaborating too much on the remainder of the card, but I will say that I am absolutely loving the WWE product at the minute and so I'm hoping that I'll be kept entertained throughout the show. I usually only watch WWE closely during the Rumble-'Mania period but with Rocky's return, I'm starting a bit earlier this year. :thumbsup:

Whats the thinking of the main event? All i've been hearing is Miz/Truth have been made to look second rate, i'm guessing no surprise if they win the tag match with either Rock or Cena turning on the other.

Good question. Don't know what the general consensus on it but personally I wouldn't go that far. They did beat Punk and Triple H at the last PPV and then beat up Cena the next night to the point that he realised he needed The Rock to help him out. Two weeks later they beat Cena and Zack Ryder, when Miz pinned Cena.

The problem was the week after the initial beatdown they had Cena defeat Miz clean via submission with the SFTU in a standard TV match. I think that's where the "booked to look second rate" bit comes from since whoever thought that was a good idea didn't do Awesome Truth any favours. Coming one week after he'd announced Rock as his partner it did seem unnecessary. Cena didn't need to be built up to make it look like him and Rock were a threat and it's not even like Miz had to beat Cena. If ever there was a match that needed a DQ/countout that was it. Like I said above though, Miz did pin Cena the next week so it hasn't been that bad.

Really I think Del Rio has been booked worse: getting beaten up by Punk, losing clean to Big Show, trying to get the match cancelled only to get made fun of and beaten up by Punk again, etc. None of those things on there own are a huge problem if Berty had been around a while longer and was a bit more established in that I actually prefer the old school cowardly heel schtick a lot more than 'cooler than you' dominant clean-winning heels but when he's the WWE Champion and still pretty new in the role I'd rather they'd have built him up a bit more. Really he has to win tonight.

I find it quite interesting that there aren't more people saying that Cena will turn heel on The Rock tonight as is usually the case in these scenarios, especially seeing as though tonight would be as good a time as any for it to happen. (For the record, I personally don't see it happening).

Which scenarios? Hast here been much talk of that lately?

A few people wanted it to happen when the booing started in 2004-05 and even early on in his first title run and then with the thinking being that if went heel and got his "edge" back he'd be more over as a babyface when he turned back. Certainly there was the Booker feud where they could have done a double turn. But since he's been a fulltime main eventer I thought that serious suggestions that he was going to turn had died down around late 2006. No later than the K-Fed feud certainly.

I know that discussion peaked around the peak of Cena Hatred in late 2005-early 2006 when people thought they might pull an Austin-Hart/Taz-Sabu with Triple H and him at WrestleMania 22 since it was obvious the fans were itching to cheer Triple H and had been for a while (although, personally I don't remember a time he didn't get at least some cheers). One point was there were more opponents for heel Cena vs babyface HHH, Michaels, RVD, Big Show, Flair and if they wanted to use people from SmackDown! you had Batista (whenever he came back from injury), Angle, Benoit, even new World Champion Mysterio,

In fairness I think they could have done that then if they'd wanted, agreed with the hardcore fans that the Cena experiment had "failed" and replaced him with an 'old reliable' in Triple H as the top babyface. I'm glad they didn't though. It would have been a massive step backwards, IMO and I wasn't even really a Cena fan until much later in the year.

IIRC his promo the next where he pretty much acknowledged that - that the audience wanted him to insult and them, turn heel and tell them to "Go to Hell", etc.

I think it may have come up again a year later heading into the Michaels match at the height of the 'Super Cena' era. Don't really remember any details but I do think it would have been really stupid at that point given how well he was doing by then, had finally started getting more cheers and was on the run of a lifetime having good matches. Plus as I said at the time they didn't have anyone to replace him with back then.

Obviously it came back again with the Nexus angle last year and the Rock return earlier this year but I don't remember too many other times?

FWIW, I wouldn't mind a Cena heel turn at this point. I think it would liven things up no end, although I still think they've got the problem from back at his peak where there is still noone to replace him. :(

Archived