GTAV

Astro Hollywood

I didn't bother to pre-order this as I don't have the time I used to for playing games. However, now that the hyperbole and reviews have kicked in I'm starting to be very tempted. What's the chances of me going to a large retailer, Tesco, Asda, Smyths, Game etc tomorrow at lunchtime and being able to get a copy off the shelves?

• Paid Members

A few highlights from the various reviews. They are gameplay mechanic spoilers, but not storyline spoilers:

Ā 

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

* When reviewers were playing, the stock market responded to their actions -- eg, you can buy stocks in company A, assassinate the head of rival company B, then cash in because A's stock price rises. At least one review reckons once the game is officially released, the stock market will be based on the combined actions of all players.

Ā 

* There'll be a real smartphone app to download called iFruit, which you can use for customizing vehicles and for teaching the dog tricks. Using this still makes you a man and definitely not a pre-teen girl playing Nintendogs.

Ā 

* As well as having checkpoints, if you fail a mission enough times you get offered the chance to skip it. All missions can be replayed at any time once completed and you'll get a checklist of special achievements for each one.

Ā 

* GPS goes off when you drive through a tunnel. Some radio stations are only available in certain geographic areas.

Ā 

* Whenever you switch character in open world, you get a 10 second recap of what they are doing before taking over. C&VG says it was 40 hours before any of these vignettes repeated.

Ā 

* Doing the tennis and golf and so on increases your character's fitness level.

Ā 

* EDGE magazine sums it up as "rather than the gangster flicks of GTAs past, you