Raw Discussion 10/10/11 **Spoilers**

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The worst thing for Raw for me was the sheer amount of major storylines they just threw out there. And most of them were poorly executed:

-Vince returned

-Triple H lost power

-The roster returns

-New GM

-JR fired

-Miz and Truth returned

-Triple H forms a team with Punk

All this should have happened over the coming weeks. It was like a bad Impact. Although I cant remember Impact having this much going on.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ignoring the many, many bad parts of Raw, I honestly think that CM Punk's real mission in that opening segment was just to have fun and try and make HHH laugh. I found it funny when Mick Foley used to do it, and I found it funny here.

"Kevin Nash ran in....slowly..." and "Can I wear your blazer?" made me laugh, and they seemed improvised. It almost came across like HHH and Punk knew that they were out there selling shit, so they gave up and did it for laughs. Which wouldn't completely surprise me.

• Paid Members
Impact is wiping the floor with Raw at the moment, creatively, and has been for quite a few months.

Not only that, the wrestlers have stepped up as well. I cant think of a time in recent years where Roode, Angle, Hogan, Sting, Bully Ray, Aries, Kash, Storm, AJ and Daniels (yes, even Daniels) have put in better performances than they have. Those buyrates will definitely go up if they continue to sell you like this lot have been recently

Pritchard has to take a lot of credit for it. He's editing the shows. He shows out all the shit that isn't needed in the main portions of the show. Its great to see.

• Paid Members
Impact is wiping the floor with Raw at the moment, creatively, and has been for quite a few months.

I've only picked up watching Impact for the past 3 or 4 weeks but I'd agree. WWE matches are much better and the production obviously wipes the floor with Impacts dark, tired and utterly shit look at the moment. Otherwise, TNA are telling better stories, producing better interviews and generally just making more of what they have.

• Paid Members

After Punk/Cena, I totally agree. Impact's been really good, and I'm disappointed that's not really been reflected by growing ratings. Bar the Knockouts division, I've enjoyed pretty much everything about each show, especially Hogan/Sting, although the Hulkster really should be the babyface in this one. I just wanna cheer for the guy again!!

I agree with Ian, too much happening with bad execution. I'm disappointed they've just dropped the anonymous GM, surely a far more logical way to remove Triple H from power was to have the mystery GM do it on behalf of the board before then revealing himself to be Laurinitus. The Vince return was just wasted. Just a generally bizarre turn of events.

I'm looking forward to Smackdown on another note, despite my enjoyment of Impact, Smackdown (because of Mark Henry) has been my favourite show over the past while. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what he has to say next.

• Moderators
Ignoring the many, many bad parts of Raw, I honestly think that CM Punk's real mission in that opening segment was just to have fun and try and make HHH laugh. I found it funny when Mick Foley used to do it, and I found it funny here.

"Kevin Nash ran in....slowly..." and "Can I wear your blazer?" made me laugh, and they seemed improvised. It almost came across like HHH and Punk knew that they were out there selling shit, so they gave up and did it for laughs. Which wouldn't completely surprise me.

Everything feels so coldly clinical these days, I love those little moments of improv, so to speak, like the "double pay?" bit.

• Paid Members

To compare, I'm wetting myself with anticipation for Bound For Glory. Where as with WWE, I'm just counting down the days until The Rock comes back and shows he's better than everybody on the roster again.

Raw was rubbish. I tuned in hoping for some crazy stuff, but we got 20 minutes of something different, then they went back to their formula. As Ian said, they threw so much storyline away on one episode, all to little reaction. The Awesome Truth reaction was pretty embarrassing, not their faults though, just WWE have rushed the storyline.

Johnny Ace is ace, such a smarmy knob. His firing of JR was a treat.

• Paid Members

The thing with Punk and Triple H just adds to my point. Shouldnt it have been:

-This week: Triple H and Punk team up

-Next week: Triple H and Punk laugh and carry on

Not the other way around. I thought they were pals anyway, so the hard sell at the end wasn't doing it. They should have given them a week to build on their new found friendship. On the brightside, the Kaz vs John Morrison dream match is getting closer :)

Cool I'm going to survivor series as well. Did you get good seats?

Yeah decent - 100s hard camera side fairly central. Got it off stubhub (electronic print out) so fingers crossed no problems with it on the night. Whereabouts are you?

Pretty much same story as yourself. 109 which is limited view apparently but I think they mean for the screen, cause I'll have a good view of the ring. got em off ebay, again printouts but trusted seller with great rep so should be fine, knock on wood.

Can't wait!!

• Paid Members
Johnny Ace is ace, such a smarmy knob. His firing of JR was a treat.

How do other people feel about Ace? I liked the idea of him being an on screen character, but now he's here I find him rather dull. I also wonder what casual fans make of him, or understand of his previous title since it had previously been made clear the GMs were responsible for hiring and firing. TNA used to get slated for multiple authority figures on screen with no real clarity about their purpose, at this time I think WWE are guilty of a garbled on screen system too.

• Paid Members
The thing with Punk and Triple H just adds to my point. Shouldnt it have been:

-This week: Triple H and Punk team up

-Next week: Triple H and Punk laugh and carry on

Not the other way around. I thought they were pals anyway, so the hard sell at the end wasn't doing it. They should have given them a week to build on their new found friendship.

Well, yeah, obviously. There's, like, a million ways that show could have been better, and WWE's pacing is totally fucked right now.

What was Punk going on about 'having dealth with HHH' Punk wanted what the whole roster wanted last week.. he doenst pin HHH at NOC, HHH keeps his job... Punk says he dealt with HHH..

FFS

what he means is, unlike the rest of the roster, he faced triple h like a man, face to face in the middle of the ring. he didn't go whining to ace or saught legal advice from otunga, he done it like a wrestler does, in a match and on the stick

WWE matches are much better

I have to disagree. The actual matches are one of the things that I find most boring about WWE - everyone has the same style, wrestles at the same pace, puts their matches together in the same way. The main events tend to be good but by heavens the undercards are dull.

TNA has much better variety - tag, womens and X Div both superior in their styles to what the WWE can put together. And the heavyweight matches have been pretty good recently too, from the BFG series to Roode's matches with his comrades. They're faster-paced than WWE, more athletic - a good balance between the insanity of the indies and the lethargic action of the WWE. I still don't think there's quite enough selling of moves and their guys tend to telegraph stuff a bit much, but generally the roster is much stronger.

and the production obviously wipes the floor with Impacts dark, tired and utterly shit look at the moment. Otherwise, TNA are telling better stories, producing better interviews and generally just making more of what they have.

They have, have, have to get out of the Impact zone. When TNA's on the road it looks good - the recent live event Impact looked cracking and the large ImpactTron (madeup name) was impressive.

Archived