Raw Discussion 10/10/11 **Spoilers**

tiger_rick

All well and good if it was Saturday Morning Superstars and the next pay-per-view was five months away. But it's 2011. They've got a prime time show every Monday and a pay-per-view every three or four weeks, and those need main events.

Well they managed to afford Truth and Miz more time off screen and came up with ways to keep them involved. They may not be main event but there are two of them, both upper mid card. If they cannot afford to give people the time they need to get over you cannot then blame the person for them not getting over. What you're saying essentially is we can't ever have another Rock or Austin because we can't afford to give them the time.

What was it they liked? The Jack Tunney references? The entire point of the CM Punk promo and all his mainstream appearances and interviews was to bring back the former fans who now no longer watch but bitch about it on messageboards. Nothing in Punk's repertoire in the summer was designed to draw in new fans, it was all about making it fun again for lapsed longterm fans. And that shit was instantaneous. Anyone who keeps tabs on wrestling was aware of it within twelve hours of the initial speech.

What they liked was it was a new twist on the employee vs boss. Granted there would be stuff that casual fans wouldn't get but we all bitch about our employers and would love at times to give them the middle finger and walk out and that was appealing. It was a new McMahon vs Austin with more cerebral verbal attacks and less stunners and swearing.

Something else I thought about. Everyone's banding the PPV numbers about, does anyone know what the effect the storyline had on the live gates and merchandise sales? Quarter profits vs last year?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This Raw thread is FAR shitter than Raw was.

You're ALL missing the most important points.

1) Otunga's bow-tie was back.

2) Somebody found Rosa Mendes and she's still fucking dreadful.

3) Air Boom's entrance is a total mess. They have no idea what they're doing coming down that ramp. They just keep looking at each other as if to say, "Well, go on. Jump or something!"

• Paid Members

Is it bollocks. There's some good debate in this thread. There's plenty of shit on this forum but lets not pretend that it's this just because you disagree about the quality of the show. Hardly any spacker posts and everyone backing up their POV.

• Paid Members
But yes, Air Boom are like some sort of Pokemon characters when they leap about on their way to the ring. Pokemon sucked.

But it probably didn't suck if you were of a younger generation, just like Air Boom must really appeal to the kids today. I don't dislike them as babyfaces go, at least they're making a decent stab of it. I liked London & Kendrick teaming back in the day, but they just never got decent reactions from the fans because it was all flippy floppy stuff. At least Air Boom appreciate the concept of timing with regards to that style. And they're now a proper team because they've got matching tights. Not enough teams today have those :sneaky:

All the while, others, like myself, Ian, Butch etc were all saying; "Its a good promo, but lets not get carried away here", and people were responding with; "Fuck that, its the greatest promo of all time~".

Its mainly those people I'm laughing at.

Well done! You are the man! I'd rather feel good about wrestling for that short time than be cautious about the whole thing the whole way through. Get off your pedastal you bell end.

Awww, do you feel all big now you called someone names online? Bless ya.

You'd rather feel good about wrestling for that short period of time? I guess that's where we differ I suppose. See, I felt good about wrestling before that angle, during that angle and still feel good about wrestling since that angle. I thought Punk's initial promo was awesome. I loved the build to MITB and the match with Cena was excellent. But, I was enjoying wrestling before that happened too, and I've been enjoying it even more since Trips came back. Its got nothing to do with being cautious through the whole thing, its to do with being realistic. I didn't buy into the hype that Punk had suddenly become the second coming of Stone Cold. If being realistic about whats happening, and where its going is being on a pedestal, then I'd much rather that than be a spacker over the situation.

What a shit come back for someone swearing. It's how I'd talk in real life so stop trying to apply the 'internet warrior behind keyboard geek who lives in basement of parent's house' stereotype to me.

My point is that I'd rather let my imagination run a bit wild with the angle than watch it and keep saying to myself 'now hold on there. Let's not get too carried away, this isn't going to work out.' So laugh at people who are actually engaged in the product if you weeeeeel but you're the goon for doing so.

CM Punk's failed push just seems to be a by-product of the micro-managed nature of WWE now. It's strange to think that WWE had serious competition in the Attitude era but still managed to get their stars over big with some perseverance whereas now they've no serious competition and hot shot everything. I suppose now they're a publicly traded company they have more people to answer to so when the ratings have dropped, they need answers and feel like they need a quick fix in the form of bringing back Triple H and The Rock. It's definitely counter-productive. If, and that's a big if, this WWE Network plays off, they probably won't need to worry about the quality of their product too much as they'll be raking in money from that station.

• Paid Members

Is it bollocks. There's some good debate in this thread. There's plenty of shit on this forum but lets not pretend that it's this just because you disagree about the quality of the show. Hardly any spacker posts and everyone backing up their POV.

I presume you missed the list I gave as to why this thread is crap then, you great big divot?

I really enjoyed Raw. In fact, I've been enjoying it for months. Yeah, there have been storylines that haven't gone anywhere and lots of it doesn't make sense, but it's wrestling. I'm not expecting Jimmy McGovern or Shane Black levels of writing or ideas on it. I just want to enjoy it on a week to week basis and for it to make me want to watch next week and watch the PPVs. It did that even though it was completely daft. I'm not bothered if some storylines go astray or don't live up to what was hoped for - there will be some more along soon.

The opening segment was quality. The eerie opening shots were really good and the segment between HHH, Cena, Punk and Sheamus was good fun even if Sheamus went a bit overboard with his excitement, bless him. Punk and HHH finally showed they could interact on the mic in some capacity, and it felt like a few lads arseing about. I was annoyed they cut the Sheamus-Cena match off, though. Nice surprise seeing Vince make a reappearance as well.

They didn't need another Henry-Orton match but it was good in terms of adding more fuel to the Rhodes-Orton feud. They need to be careful with that one and if they are they could really get some great stuff out of Rhodes. If they're going to have Orton comprehensively beat him, they might want to have him lose the IC title first so they don't weaken it.

The Divas match was a waste of time and I'm not buying Krazy Kelly one bit. As mentioned, Mendes was fucking terrible. When Eve Torres is the shining light in a match then you know you're in trouble.

The six man tag was good and I love Mason Ryan's finisher. I really don't give a crap about Air Boom, though, and I hope Zig-Swag beat them for the titles as soon as possible. I like the possibility of a stable with them, Otunga, Rhodes and Christian, though.

I'm glad the Punk-Del Rio match was turned into something different because we don't need to see that match again at all. I liked the increasing animosity between Punk and Del Rio as the match went on. The re-introduction of Miz and R-Truth was the crappest and most underwhelming part of the show, though, and having them outplayed for most of the match and then twatted at the end does nothing for their return. That said, good match and having had a few weeks of largely really good matches and doing less mic stuff, Punk has been far more palatable.

Again, I liked it and I'm intrigued by the tag match for Backlash as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot Morrison getting squashed again. I don't know why, but I'm quite enjoying him getting buried plus he managed to deliver his lines to Laurinaitis with some level of conviction. Maybe there's hope for him yet.

• Paid Members
I presume you missed the list I gave as to why this thread is crap then, you great big divot?

Just sticking up for the peeps, you big twat.

I really liked the opening segment but I hated Sheamus and Cena wrestling. Maybe my fault but I still think wrestling matches should have a reason to happen, I still think there shoulod be a desire to win or lose and a goal. "We're all mates, let's have a match" doesn't seem like a good reason to have a match to me. Never ever will. Perhaps it's just because UFC have some along and done wrestling "real" but it makes the guys wrestling night after night at the drop of a hat and never being hurt seem really, really fake. Gorilla Monsoon used to have me believe these guys scouted opponents for weeks and sat up all night studying video tapes. Now I think he might've made that stuff up?

• Paid Members

Just sticking up for the peeps, you big twat.

I really liked the opening segment but I hated Sheamus and Cena wrestling. Maybe my fault but I still think wrestling matches should have a reason to happen, I still think there shoulod be a desire to win or lose and a goal. "We're all mates, let's have a match" doesn't seem like a good reason to have a match to me. Never ever will. Perhaps it's just because UFC have some along and done wrestling "real" but it makes the guys wrestling night after night at the drop of a hat and never being hurt seem really, really fake. Gorilla Monsoon used to have me believe these guys scouted opponents for weeks and sat up all night studying video tapes. Now I think he might've made that stuff up?

Be fair, they were to all intents and purposes the only two guys left on the roster and they were so eager to give the fans any sort of action that they decided to do what they do best and wrestle. Given the context, it made perfect sense; it wasn't so much a case of having a fight because they were mates, more a case of wanting to give the fans something to actually watch whilst everyone else was on strike. They compromised their well drilled routines of studying and scouting future opponents, thus risking injury, in order to give the fans a show; I think that covers it and keeps the magic alive :thumbsup:

3) Air Boom's entrance is a total mess. They have no idea what they're doing coming down that ramp. They just keep looking at each other as if to say, "Well, go on. Jump or something!"

Actually Gladders, they were checking behind themselves just in case they got attacked like they did on Smackdown. A nice little bit of continuity, I thought.

Well they managed to afford Truth and Miz more time off screen and came up with ways to keep them involved. They may not be main event but there are two of them, both upper mid card.

No, what I'm saying is you have to have something in your main events, and that something should be the most important thing on the show -- and The Miz and R-Truth are neither WWE Champion nor number one contender. They've been a two-man Nexus, pretty much. Plus they only had one week of sending in a Youtube video as well. The notion of WWE keeping CM Punk away from Raw for months with the belt is just fanwank booking that ignores the realities of their business and it only gets Punk more "over" with the same people who were spunking over his speeches and streaming Money in the Bank. Back when everyone thought Punk was the new Austin, keeping him away seemed like madness. Although I'm sure they now regret it, because Cena vs Mysterio at SummerSlam would've more than likely drawn better than Punk did.

If they cannot afford to give people the time they need to get over you cannot then blame the person for them not getting over. What you're saying essentially is we can't ever have another Rock or Austin because we can't afford to give them the time.

364121085_2054215cf4.jpg

Raw was not a very good show this week.

For me everything about it seemed like a smack in the face for those like myself who are fans of wrestling.

WWE I would describe as corporate wrestling where the goal is to make sure that the corporate side of it is happy e.g. the sponsers, pressure groups etc and that they conform to the standards of taste and decency.

I count myself very fortunate to have grown up watching wrestling during the atttitude era (I was 18 circa 1997), a time when wrestling was hot, where you had WWF, WCW, ECW all providing top quality action.

Today you could say that the official top three in the states are, WWE, TNA and ROH.

TNA is very hit and miss, does not have the money to compete with WWE on a larger scale.

ROH has the wrestling aspect and may lack the star power and money for competing with WWE but at least when it comes to wrestling matches of top quality they deliver.

If you take a look at the japanese wrestling scene, they treat wrestling with with respect, none of these run in's and daft ass finishes, there is always a clear winner and clean loser.

It is still worth holding up hope that WWE will one day get their act together and give the fans what they want however a change of attitude is required, which I think will be a long wait.

• Moderators
ROH has the wrestling aspect and may lack the star power and money for competing with WWE but at least when it comes to wrestling matches of top quality they deliver.

Depends what you're looking for on that count. It's very niche. I wouldn't say ROH's wrestling is top notch in my book.

It is still worth holding up hope that WWE will one day get their act together and give the fans what they want however a change of attitude is required, which I think will be a long wait.

What do the fans want? And which fans are they? There's many subsets of fans these days.

Archived