Jericho says.....

andrew "the ref" coyne

Taken from some news site:

Former WWE wrestler Chris Jericho says he is offended by today's WWE wrestlers using material from past wrestlers, which is why he's been outspoken on Twitter lately. "There seems to be a lack of respect for the forefathers who came in and did it first and it's not just (C.M.) Punk, it's a whole litany of guys from Miz to Cody Rhodes to Mason Ryan to Sin Cara to Kelly Kelly, everybody is stealing moves, looks, ideas," Jericho recently said on the Wrestling Voice podcast. "These guys have to start thinking of their own stuff and some times I see some of them and I'm like oh come on. It's not like it's influenced. At least give credit where credit is due."

Says the guy who nicked the code breaker from Shane Helms and who imitated Shawn Michaels when he started out.

Anyway... Do you feel he has a point? Are wwe wrestlers shamelessly nicking stuff from other wrestlers from days gone by? Or are current wrestlers merely being fairly influenced?

Personally I think he's talking utter bollocks. Sure you see some influences, but I havnt seen anything that screams "rip off".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sounds like bollocks. Hasn't Jezza and one or two of his fanboys been criticizing Miz for ripping off Jericho's heel act? I suppose no heels in wrestling wore a suit before him. "Best in the world at what I do" was original too. How much originality is there in any walk of entertainment anyway? Everything has been influenced by something or someone else. Who the fuck cares. Hulk Hogan wouldn't have been Hulk Hogan if he hadn't borrowed from Superstar Graham, Eric Bischoff got the idea for the nWo when Takada's boys invaded New Japan, and by his own admission CJ started using the Codebreaker after he saw Naomichi Marufuji do it.

Deal with it, Chris. Or more likely, tweet at how pissed off you are at the superstars so you have some feuds lined up for your eventual return.

The bird who does the Styles clash is slightly taking the piss, but other than that, moves are pretty much fair game for me. I must admit though, I have noticed a big increase in moves that involve the perpetrator falling to their back and pulling the victim across their knees of late, (on the indies at least).

• Paid Members

Did, Freebird. It was McTaker, and she gone.

I miss Layla. Although Jericho probably hates her for ripping off the finish to Bret/Bulldog that one time.

• Paid Members

Jericho is talking rubbish. Didn't Jericho say his last persona was partly pinched from Nick Bokwinkel?! The Miz DID steal his act in part too, but that's more of a compliment to Jericho.

Triple H's move set is a tribute to the 70s NWA. It didn't do him any harm either.

• Paid Members

I've just read it in full, he also lambastes Punk for stealing "best in the world." Fuck me, if he admits stealing the Codebreaker from watching Marufuji in ROH, I'm sure he probably caught wind of Branielson calling himself that and thought "hmmm, has a ring to it." Hell, I'm sure Ric Flair called himself the "best in the world" more than once, and he wasn't leaving Jericho angry voicemails threatening to have Gunner & Murphy come round and break his thumbs for stealing his act.

• Paid Members

Jericho always does this. He'll have a mini-kick off every few months. He is the Bret Hart of 2011. Its obvious to anyone he's good enough and rich enough not to let stuff like this get under his skin, but he does anyway. And he has a high opinion of things that are actually very rotten (like his game show and his 'rock' band). He'll be back though. What else is he going to do?

• Paid Members

Wow. And I always thought Jericho was one of the smart guys in wrestling.

In his second book he gives Miz shit for stealing his finisher from him and adds "he can't do it as good as me" which is a load of crap because firstly Miz hits it a million times btter than Jericho and second, Miz has actually got the move over as a finisher which Jericho never did.

Jericho did the Asia Moonsault which he stole from Ultimo Dragon, the Codebreaker which he stole from Japanese wrestling, and the Boston Crab was used by a million people, and Bret Hart was calling himself the best there was years before Jericho did. He's coming across as a complete moron.

This from a guy that used a BOSTON CRAB as a Finisher?

And even his earlier WCW version with the knee in the back was nicked from Benoit.

I like him, but he comes off as an eejit with those words. Is there anyone in wrestling from the last couple of decades whose act, or any part of it wasn't ripped off or at least clearly influenced by someone earlier? That's just how it goes.

Archived