WHAT DO YOU!?

Kata Ha Jime

Lecturer in film & media studies at various universities/colleges. Hoping to branch out into TEFL in the next few years. Also did my first bit of work as an extra last weekend, playing a generic henchman opposite Luke 'Bros' Goss in what's sure to be a straight-to-DVD action film.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Maybe nothing in 12 months time.

Come on, that's not the attitude to have! You have 12 months to look for another job. Many of my friends over the years have had as little as 1 month notice in similar circumstances. Every company I've worked for at some point has had a big redundancy cull due to recession/relocation/systems migration etc. and they have been 1 month notice every time. I know it's a pain in the arse knowing that you won't have that job in a years time, but use that time to update your CV and start looking around. You have time on your hands to have a thorough look around to see what is out there and what can be the best job for you. Normally if you're on notice, you don't have enough time to look thoroughly and end up taking anything you can. And if that isn't an ideal job you fall into the trap of "its hard to look for a better job when you already have one".

The world is your oyster BigJ, use the next 12 months to really nail down a good job.

• Paid Members

Technical Production Associate for Dell Puzzle Magazines - it's shit boring, and easy, but since I've been declining to sleep recently, I'm not having a good time in a job that demands nothing of me but concentration. Generating puzzles is easy, and pinpoint organization is my main thing, but they're asking me to proofread, and it's doing me nut. No-one in the office talks, either.

Still, swings and roundabouts - I just went to check, and if I lean really far out of my office window I can look left and see the Statue of Liberty, or lean right and see the Empire State Building.

• Paid Members
Maybe nothing in 12 months time.

Come on, that's not the attitude to have! You have 12 months to look for another job. Many of my friends over the years have had as little as 1 month notice in similar circumstances. Every company I've worked for at some point has had a big redundancy cull due to recession/relocation/systems migration etc. and they have been 1 month notice every time. I know it's a pain in the arse knowing that you won't have that job in a years time, but use that time to update your CV and start looking around. You have time on your hands to have a thorough look around to see what is out there and what can be the best job for you. Normally if you're on notice, you don't have enough time to look thoroughly and end up taking anything you can. And if that isn't an ideal job you fall into the trap of "its hard to look for a better job when you already have one".

The world is your oyster BigJ, use the next 12 months to really nail down a good job.

Thanks man, I think I needed someone to remind me that other people have had it alot worse. I read the job posting of the role i'm doing on the Swedish website not long before I saw this thread, and didn't think before I ranted.

I do need to take a glass 1/2 full attitiude a bit more.

I'm a housing options advisor.

I try and prevent people becoming homeless. or find them a new place to live.

sadly the majority of my clients are scrotes. chavs, druggies, alkys. a high percentage of them are also not english, but thats probably just because its Bradford.

• Paid Members

I'm an endpoint manager, I look after a few thousand PCs and servers and have to make sure they have the right security patches and software updates on them. I also look after the software so need to ensure we're licensed for everything too. I've got a software request system to look after and a software rental system that I run too. Other hardware and software reporting and config comes into it too.

It's busy all the time, plenty of unpaid overtime but never at the weekend. It pays wee too. The minutes are good, but the hours are shit.

• Awards Moderator

I've got a shitload of job titles. This week alone I've been introduced as Bid Manager, Business Analyst, Mobilisation Manager, Development Manager and Process Improvement Analyst. All of which sound shite. In a nutshell, my job entails:

Internally, I look after mapping our process improvements and then incorporate them when I spec out designs for our web-based systems. I manage the developers and help implement the system across our national offices. I'm also the soft bastard the whole company rings when they want something doing on a computer which is beyond them. Given that 90% of them can't count on their hands, these calls come in thick and fast.

Externally, I head up a bid team and work on rates and quality submissions for new business and am responsible for selling our services in, which includes the systems mentioned above. For business we successfully tender, I'm then responsible for the project management of the mobilisation phase. Once we're live and servicing our customers, I also spend time looking at their working processes and regularly write papers to suggest how we can make them more efficient and provide FOC add-ons. If they get signed off, I implement them.

It really isn't as dull as it sounds as the variety keeps me busy. It involves a fair few miles but I'm one level off the Directors, it's a good salary, cracking bonus structure, I've got a nice car out of it and the girl I share an office with is the loveliest person I've ever met.

I still don't know what my official job title is, though.

• Paid Members

I work at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. My job is basically dealing with Freedom Of Information Requests, liasing with other government departments and making sure everyone is on the same page and researching Parliamentary Questions.

Pay isn't paticularly great but it's interesting, and when you see something in the news and you are actually dealing with it or know the people dealing with it it's pretty damn cool. For example, I have been involved with the background research of the enquiry into UK soldiers torturing people out in the Middle East.

But on the other side as a government job you tend to get fucked over a fair amount and get no credit from the media/general population who don't seem to care about the huge amounts of good work done and focus entirely on the small bad issues and mistakes. I'm hoping in the next few years to get an overseas posting, that's where the cash is.

• Paid Members
I work at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. My job is basically dealing with Freedom Of Information Requests, liasing with other government departments and making sure everyone is on the same page and researching Parliamentary Questions.

Pay isn't paticularly great but it's interesting, and when you see something in the news and you are actually dealing with it or know the people dealing with it it's pretty damn cool. For example, I have been involved with the background research of the enquiry into UK soldiers torturing people out in the Middle East.

But on the other side as a government job you tend to get fucked over a fair amount and get no credit from the media/general population who don't seem to care about the huge amounts of good work done and focus entirely on the small bad issues and mistakes. I'm hoping in the next few years to get an overseas posting, that's where the cash is.

That's really interesting stuff. I've just left my scheme at M&S and am looking to do something useful and the foreign office is one of the things that came up. Sounds really interesting

Archived