WHAT DO YOU!?

Kata Ha Jime

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I hold a stick at Asda that says 'space here's. If you have just started uni in Manchester and have been to an Asda, I can almost guarantee you have seen me.

Have they ever had you on trolleys, Kendal? I used to quite like doing trolleys when I was at Sainsbury's because it was an underground car park and I used to whip round and round them all up dead quickly, and then go home and watch the cricket for half an hour because I only lived 2 minutes away. Plus you'd get the occasional abandoned quid in a trolley. Corking.

• Paid Members
These threads have weirdly been coming up quite frequently lately, I thought there was high unemployment these days?

I'm a jobless layabout. The high point of today was loading up one of my 5* parks on Project Genesis, breeding a shit load of Spinosauruses, and then making big holes in the barriers. Fucking stupid things ignored the humans and just kept eating the smaller dinosaurs.

Seriously though, I'm on an 8 week accounting course in the hope that there's still work in that area. 5 jobs in the last 12 months has somewhat sapped my zest for life.

• Paid Members
These threads have weirdly been coming up quite frequently lately, I thought there was high unemployment these days?

I'm a jobless layabout. The high point of today was loading up one of my 5* parks on Project Genesis, breeding a shit load of Spinosauruses, and then making big holes in the barriers. Fucking stupid things ignored the humans and just kept eating the smaller dinosaurs.

Seriously though, I'm on an 8 week accounting course in the hope that there's still work in that area. 5 jobs in the last 12 months has somewhat sapped my zest for life.

You should be circulating your CV to the Huey Lewis's of this world.

just started this week as an editorial assistant at an academic press, fresh of graduating and its my first paid work ever (yes, ive been spoilt though i have volunteered a lot). its all quite new and im learning as i go along though my boss doesnt quite seem to understand that even though he knows ive just graduated and have only had three days training. the year is supposed to give me fundamentals of the whole process. basically tasks ive ben given include marking up copy and proof-reading while editing text, digitally with some odd errands. its a very small company run by an older couple, so i lose out on any young, social atmosphere though they are both very nice people and i dont mind too much (with the money i make i can do long weekends visiting friends and actually buy stuff without feeling guilty). the material is ok though i would like to move into autobiography or children's literature afterwards, or even ghost-writing after.its quite intense though because the guy, whose office i work in all the time, is very rigid with how he likes things to be done, usually related to using the computer: e.g. even though using the mouse is much easier and quicker for me personally, he insists on me using the keys which im not used to and such little things like that, so the last two days ive basically been taught how to use a computer by a 60 year old and then had occasions where he has spent 5 mins lecturing me on his way when i could have accomplished a lot more my way. and though he insists i ask him when i have any doubts because its very fiddly detailed work, he throws a fit when i ask him to confirm something to me, so it ends up being lose-lose situation all round.

on the positive side, its 5 mins from home, beautiful view across the harbour from my desk and the pay means that just from the three-month probationary period alone, i can pay off my overdraft thats been hanging over me and save a bit too. hopefully this bad stuff is just first week jitters and things go more smoothly, and they'll keep me on for the full year. basically, ive spent the last year in uni worrying myself sick about the future (not helped by media-scaremongering stories about the boomerang generation and crap job-market) so to get a job with so many benefits, even just for short-term period has been a huge relief and weight of my mind, like you wont believe. it was this or unpaid internships that i did get accepted for, but without the certainty of a full-time gig after 3 months, no pay and a commute everyday. as it is, its half 9-half 4 so not too strenuous and i can do some writing on the side (though im trying to stay away from that cliche of the struggling writer who hates his job :p).

also, this is my first friday in years where the weekend has meant something

Technical Production Associate for Dell Puzzle Magazines - it's shit boring, and easy, but since I've been declining to sleep recently, I'm not having a good time in a job that demands nothing of me but concentration. Generating puzzles is easy, and pinpoint organization is my main thing, but they're asking me to proofread, and it's doing me nut. No-one in the office talks, either.

Still, swings and roundabouts - I just went to check, and if I lean really far out of my office window I can look left and see the Statue of Liberty, or lean right and see the Empire State Building.

Honestly, I'd probably take your job over everyone else's for this reason alone. Out of curiosity, how did you end up with this job? Assuming you're British, of course.

• Paid Members

I'm a lab technician in an opticians. Well actually I'm a team leader but it's more of a title they gave me to justify a payrise despite my job not actually changing. The other technician and the lab manager left and I took on all the work. Almost a year later, they gave me this "promotion".

I stand at a machine and cut lenses to fit into spectacle frames and do a lot of other dull shit like ordering the lenses and answering phonecalls from pensioners to book their annual appointment.

It requires working every Saturday and occasional Sundays which is awful. It's ruined my faith in humanity seeing how unreasonable and dickish people really can be. And the markup on the products are astronomical. Seriously, they tried me at selling this stuff to people a while back and I just couldn't sit look people in the eye and take that kind of money from them for something of such little value.

I'd really like to do something else but it's a really irrelevant and specific job to have 3 years experience in to try and change completely and ask a similar wage and status.

I hold a stick at Asda that says 'space here's. If you have just started uni in Manchester and have been to an Asda, I can almost guarantee you have seen me.

This is not a knock on you, Everyone has to earn a living. But if that was my only option of employment i think suicide would be on the cards :( . Iam a CNC Operator/Plastic Fabricator & make things that cant be bought in the shops. I made an entire wrestling stage in my spare time & after working for 24 years, Finally found a job that i liked :thumbsup: .

• Awards Moderator

Loved that Genesis game, but thank god for cheat codes. I played it normally a few times, and no matter what I did my customers were dissatisfied. They were seeing REAL FUCKING DINOSAURS, what the fuck were they moaning for?!?!

So yeah, it was cheats from then on - I always enjoyed just breeding 60-odd dinosaurs, letting them roam free, and just seeing what happened and who tried to eat who first.

I'm gonna play it this weekend now.

• Paid Members

Loved that Genesis game, but thank god for cheat codes. I played it normally a few times, and no matter what I did my customers were dissatisfied. They were seeing REAL FUCKING DINOSAURS, what the fuck were they moaning for?!?!

So yeah, it was cheats from then on - I always enjoyed just breeding 60-odd dinosaurs, letting them roam free, and just seeing what happened and who tried to eat who first.

I'm gonna play it this weekend now.

I've spent about 3 hours this evening making a new park. Really slow going as the fossil teams were bringing me absolutely nothing of worth, so I only had the two they give you to start with, and a Steg with a 6 month life span for ages. It's cooking along quite nicely now, ignoring my really poor inital layout.

I've never used cheats on it (or on any X-Box game, really).

Archived