The moment Pro Wrestling affected you the most.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members
Its an odd one. Flair got the perfect ending. It was like Gazza winning the World Cup and everyone forgiving him for being a piss head who beat up his wife. Obviously, Gazza never got his happy ending, but Flair did. Everyone was in agreement he was the man, he went out the right way and a lot of people shed a tear for his great career. Now, if you say you like Flair, you'll get 90% negative feedback. People just hate Flair now. Even in 2009, people were loving Flair. He's done a lot of damage to his career and the perception of what people think of him.

You're right, Flair is a bit of an odd one. I think everyone got caught up in his WWE retirement storyline because it was played out so fantastically. It was a great story and lead to a perfect WrestleMania moment and perhaps the most dignified on-screen retirement for many years. However, I think it's fair to say that for many fans, that's all it was - a storyline. We knew that the reality of the situation was that Flair didn't actually want to retire and that he was highly unlikely to stay out of the ring. So although I really loved the angle, I never emotionally bought into it for that reason. There were certainly no tears shed from me.

I struggle to think of any moment in wrestling that I have got teary-eyed about. It's fair to say that I got a lump in the throat watching the 'Hurt' Eddie tribute video that they played after his death, and the same goes for the recent Savage tribute.

I tell you what else always gives me goosebumps though... Austin Desire.

"When it takes Stone Cold Steve Austin too long to get up, too long to fall down, then it's time for Steve Austin to move along and let someone else do this thing".

I remember hearing that line and getting a bit upset. Austin was still pretty active at the time, but hearing those words made me realise that he wasn't going to be for much longer. His career was winding down and although that was probably very obvious to those in the know, it wasn't a reality I was happy to accept at the time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember hearing that line and getting a bit upset. Austin was still pretty active at the time, but hearing those words made me realise that he wasn't going to be for much longer. His career was winding down and although that was probably very obvious to those in the know, it wasn't a reality I was happy to accept at the time.

You and him both. Imagine having that stress and then coming home to that fucking southern drawl from your wife moaning about the other women at work. No wonder he stomped a mudhole in her.

To be fair I'm with SiMania on this one - I've never ever cried at wrestling, or something connected with wrestling. its all very sad about Owen, and Savage and Benoit and Eddie etc but I've never cried.

my first real hero was Warrior, if he croked it now I find it hard to believe i'd shed a tear over it, though.

speaking of Warrior, the moment that affected me the most was probably Rumble 91, when he was screwed by Savage. I was livid. I'm still a bit furious about it now.

You're right, Flair is a bit of an odd one. I think everyone got caught up in his WWE retirement storyline because it was played out so fantastically. It was a great story and lead to a perfect WrestleMania moment and perhaps the most dignified on-screen retirement for many years. However, I think it's fair to say that for many fans, that's all it was - a storyline. We knew that the reality of the situation was that Flair didn't actually want to retire and that he was highly unlikely to stay out of the ring. So although I really loved the angle, I never emotionally bought into it for that reason. There were certainly no tears shed from me.

That's an excellent point in all this - he didn't actually WANT to retire. Lou Thesz was still wrestling at 72, why can't Ric?

I'm not saying I don't think he should have hung it up after that match - he clearly should have. But he still needed the money, was still physically capable, and could still get paid handsomely to do so. Kind of hard to hold it against him.

Im an absolute girl when it comes to crying at wrestling/tv shows/movies. I just can't stop. Sometimes it just welling up, sometimes it proper crying.

Last time was Edge's retirement. I loved that man, how can you not get emotionally invested in wrestling and the characters and now especially with twitter/newz sites and stuff the actual people behind the characters. I said it at the time, Edge said he grew up with the audience watching him but I grew up with him, I saw one of the greatest tag teams set the bar, saw his gradual rise up the ranks, the injury, then his return and the moment that shocked the world/wwe universe in the darkest days of Cena's reign, there was Edge with the MITB briefcase. Seeing a person live his dream and reach the top of his profession, its only human to wanna cheer from him and cry when he can no longer do it.

others include,

Macho/Liz wm7

Bret winnning the title at wm10

Ric Flair retirement

HBK's retirment

Over The Edge and everything involving Owen

Eddies death was the most i've ever cried for sure, he got his redemption and seeing him capture the title was one of the most incredible moments ever. He was also one of my favourites ever since the wcw days and with the internet and stuff his troubles were very apparent and how can you not take someone like Eddie straight to your heart. When he died I remember my friend phoned me about it and I hung up cause I started crying. I was like 14 too.

• Paid Members

Im In the softy brigade when it comes to this stuff. I've lost count of the amount of times I've welled up watching wrestling. I was fucking blubbering yesterday watching the WWE tribute to sept 11th when Lilian Garcia belts out Star Spangled Banner.

Maybe it's pathetic, but I wouldn't still be a fan if I had no emotional connection to it.

• Paid Members

When Michaels beat HHH in the Summerslam 'Unsanctioned' Streetfight. Meself and me mates, knowing full well that wrestling wasn't real, were seriously bulling at HHH for hitting HBK in the back with the sledgehammer after the latters victory. I genuinely believed it was real for those few moments, and it got me caught up and upset for the first time in many a moon, and the last time since...

• Paid Members

The night I found out about Benoit's death was probably the most emotional for me.

At that stage, I had already learnt that lots of wrestlers die young, so the thought of Chris Benoit dying did pass me before then (probably due to the close relation to Eddie).

When it actually happened, and I saw the thread on this very site 'Chris Benoit dies' I was very emotional. Angry because I couldn't believe that something that was in the back of my mind actually came to light and also with the confusion that his family died with him. Suffice to say, when the truth came out I simply refused to believe it for a number of days, and still struggle to come to terms with it now as I'm sure is the same for many others on here.

• Paid Members

Not sure I've ever cried watching wrestling. Which is odd really because I cry watching DIY SOS every week.

I was very upset at Eddie, Benoit and Savage's deaths. Massive sense of disappointment with all three, thought that very quickly changed with Benoit.

The OP mentioned Edge retiring and I found that a very moving segment which gave me a little lump in my throat.

I found some of the 9/11 tribute show to be very moving too but as Butch mentioned, the sense of anger at the ludicrous shit was the over-riding feeling in the end.

Dunno who mentioned Undertaker/Hulk in 1991 but I was another who jumped for joy when I saw Undertaker win. Though by the time i saw it, Hulk had won it back and lost it again.

• Paid Members
When Michaels beat HHH in the Summerslam 'Unsanctioned' Streetfight. Meself and me mates, knowing full well that wrestling wasn't real, were seriously bulling at HHH for hitting HBK in the back with the sledgehammer after the latters victory. I genuinely believed it was real for those few moments, and it got me caught up and upset for the first time in many a moon, and the last time since...

I was ecstatic when Trips whacked him because I figured it must lead to at least another match. I never thought he'd return for 7/8 years.

That streetfight was probably the most emotionally invested I've ever been in a match. Michaels was my favourite. When he retired in 98 I was only 12 and didnt have access to inside info so had no idea his back was fucked and he was leaving. I was gutted.

When he returned for the street fight I figured (and everything I had watched or read about Michaels was that he was in questionable shape.) it was definitely going to be a one off and would probably be shit. But he looked good and I loved the match. I remember my non wrestling fan brothers watching it in the early hours with me. I must have been talking about it a bit too much.

Both Flair and Michaels retirements gave me a lump in the throat, but I just couldnt take them seriously. Flair was back quicker than I imagined (I have no problem with that, he didnt want to retire and he should do what makes him happy.) and I'm sure Michaels will do something eventually too.

Deaths wise Savage's upset me, but the worst was probably Chris Candido. He was underrated and had cleaned himself up, to die so young, suddenly and in weird circumstances was tragic. Mike Awesome hanging himself was awful too, especiallly looking at his grinning profile pic on the estate agents website that he was working at at the time.

I've bummed myself out now. I'll go and watch that Streetfight.

• Paid Members

The only time i've actually shed tears is when Yokozuna helped Ludvig Borga beat Tatanka, hence bringing his undefeated streak to an end. Co-ercely business must have been on it's arse at the time as it was when they started filming WWF Superstars in glorified Leisure Centres.

I must be a weirdo but can't say that Edge's retirement has bothered me much to be honest. Even though i've been around his whole career, he's just not a Wrestler/Character i've really connected to.

The last time anything struck me was that special episode of Vintage Collection paying homage to the Macho Man. He was a big part of my childhood and I suppose it's only Wrestlers from back then that I can get really excited about these days.

Archived