The moment Pro Wrestling affected you the most.

The Gaffer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrestling is like any other art form I guess. It's acceptable to well up at certain films and TV episodes where the viewer gets an emotional investment so why would it not be the same for wrestling? In the case of Macho and Liz, here's the girl he arrived on the scene with, who took him to the top of the wrestling business as World champion. They go their separate ways. 3 years later he has no championship, not even a career. Everything he's coveted in the years since Liz left him has evaporated, but when the man is beaten, broken and left with nothing he discovers the error of his ways and recovers his great love after all. It's fucking beautiful.

On this theme, the Futurama episode when Fry's dog dies. Anyone who doesn't cry at that is not human. I well up thinking about it.

Perhaps bizarrely, there's an X Files episode that gets me too.

Fair enough at wm7 as you were a kid and about Owen as you were a young adult. You were old enough to know better about the last one though.

Old enough to know better than to show emotion while watching something moving?

What a ludicrous idea. If anything, I'm far more open to engaging emotionally with a TV show or a film or anything else than I would have been as a kid. From the age of about 8 until my very late teens I was a right cynical little bugger. I've matured emotionally since then.

It baffles that me that you're a fan of something like wrestling, where suspension of disbelief is paramount, if you have such a clinical view on how people should engage with fiction and artifice.

In defence of Richie a bit, I think I remember loads of people on the net banging on about crying at either Mania, the Raw after or both re: the Flair thing. I wasn't on here at the time so I don't know how people reacted, but tears were all over the reviews on the other usual places. It's been amusing in places, but it's absolutely staggering what damage Flair has done to his legacy so far in TNA. And Flair's a guy who's had a million second chances too. Only a few years on and his TNA stuff makes it really tough to retrospectively appreciate just how well the WWE did with that whole Flair story at the end.

I didn't cry like. To be honest, I was fucking sick of the old cunt weeping every five minutes around that time. The ending sequence to the match was pretty beautiful though, as far as silly wrestling moments are concerned.

I'm 28 and I have no shame in crying at a movie, tv show, sometimes a song etc. Surely these are things that are MEANT to get an emotional response out of you?

Crying as a kid is something far different I think. You're far more simple in those days. As you grow up, you form different emotional connections. For example, going back to Lost, would I have cried at some of the relationships if I'd watched as a kid? No, I wouldn't have given a shit as I wouldn't have understood. Same with Flair/HBK in some ways .. I like to think I understand the emotion far more than I would have when I was younger.

Do I think things are real when I cry at them? No, but to me that's irrelevant. Art, whether it be in visual or written form, should be able to get to you in that way if it's truly good.

• Paid Members

Its an odd one. Flair got the perfect ending. It was like Gazza winning the World Cup and everyone forgiving him for being a piss head who beat up his wife. Obviously, Gazza never got his happy ending, but Flair did. Everyone was in agreement he was the man, he went out the right way and a lot of people shed a tear for his great career. Now, if you say you like Flair, you'll get 90% negative feedback. People just hate Flair now. Even in 2009, people were loving Flair. He's done a lot of damage to his career and the perception of what people think of him.

Its an odd one. Flair got the perfect ending. It was like Gazza winning the World Cup and everyone forgiving him for being a piss head who beat up his wife. Obviously, Gazza never got his happy ending, but Flair did. Everyone was in agreement he was the man, he went out the right way and a lot of people shed a tear for his great career. Now, if you say you like Flair, you'll get 90% negative feedback. People just hate Flair now. Even in 2009, people were loving Flair. He's done a lot of damage to his career and the perception of what people think of him.

This could just be me, but I feel a bit pissed off on behalf of Shawn Michaels more than anything else. I've mostly always just been there or thereabouts with Flair, but I love Shawn Michaels, and it bothers me to think he might be disappointed. Not like he doesn't put in a shift every other night, but Shawn worked every bone to the tip of his bellend off to make Flair look The Man one more time, and I think it's universally accepted that literally nobody else in the whole world could have done what he did to carry that all off the way it did. Michaels is absolutely phenomenal in that match. Less than a year gone from it and Naitch is arsing about almost like something so amazing never even happened. Some would see that as pretty disrepectful to all the parties involved in giving Flair what they did. Most of all HBK.

Archived